Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240390 times)

Description:

Offline trekiej

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #689 from previous page: August 31, 2019, 01:19:09 AM »
My A2000 has a 68000 in it.
Would 3.1.4 have to make a Look Up Table for Floating Point Operations?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #690 on: September 02, 2019, 06:11:54 AM »
I haven't heard if this one was reproducible?

A different observation for the CMD tool.  I'm sending the same number bytes each time but the CMD notify text is reporting an accumulation of bytes.   That is, the text says 172 bytes sent to CMD_File2 but in reality only 86 bytes were sent to that file.

Code: [Select]
5> run cmd notify multiple
[CLI 1]
5> CMD redirection of parallel.device installed

5> echo >PRT: "Test"
Redirected 86 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File1
Redirected 172 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File2
Redirected 258 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File3
5>

Also, what is correct behavior of CMD when using ASL.  I'm seeing this behavior:
1) Launch CMD (without "FILE" specified) and can set MULTIPLE=FALSE.
2) echo >prt: "Test" in shell.
3) ASL comes up and hit cancel.
4) Wait for some time and requester comes up saying "Check Printer"
5) Hit cancel in requester and this hit comes.

"Capture.txt" --> first capture.
"Capture2.txt" --> 2nd capture after I did a reboot.

Would it make sense that cancel in ASL just cancels entire redirection and also cancel anything going to PRT:?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:22:08 AM by my_pc_is_amiga »

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #691 on: September 02, 2019, 07:07:33 AM »
ED in 3.1.4 when executed from an existing shell does not open a new console window.  Instead it is using the existing one. 

What I'm finding though is that if I am in a serial terminal shell then I am getting this hit.

1) On Amiga host do the following in the shell:
a) mount AUX:
b) newshell AUX:

2) On serial terminal on remote computer do the following:
ed t:new

3) Hit happens as attached.

Older version of ED will open up new console window on host and no hit.

guest11527

« Reply #692 on: September 02, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
I beiieve I found this one. It is a bit hairy and hard to reproduce. The trouble is that CMD apparently used the output buffer of the asl requester to construct
a new unique file name for multiple redirection.

Would it make sense that cancel in ASL just cancels entire redirection and also cancel anything going to PRT:?

Hmm. The question is what "cancel" means for you. I suppose it means "cancel the redirection".

guest11527

« Reply #693 on: September 02, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »
ED in 3.1.4 when executed from an existing shell does not open a new console window.  Instead it is using the existing one. 
Yes. This is intentional.

What I'm finding though is that if I am in a serial terminal shell then I am getting this hit.
Thanks, this was easy to find and fix. Got it covered. Looks like an old bug to me.

The following users thanked this post: my_pc_is_amiga

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #694 on: September 02, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
I beiieve I found this one. It is a bit hairy and hard to reproduce. The trouble is that CMD apparently used the output buffer of the asl requester to construct
a new unique file name for multiple redirection.

Hmm. The question is what "cancel" means for you. I suppose it means "cancel the redirection".

Thanks -- in this test case I used single redirection but I guess it is same issue. 

For me cancel would mean to cancel the entire "job" to PRT: and not send anything but "cancel redirection" alone would be okay.   This is more of a documentation or FAQ thing so that the user can be aware.

How about the the print output of the CMD "Redirected 172 bytes from parallel.device to RAM:CMD_File2" when this is only suppose to be 86 bytes?

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #695 on: September 02, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »
Yes. This is intentional.

Cool -- does this mean that ED can work in serial terminal mode (i.e. no menus)?

guest11527

« Reply #696 on: September 02, 2019, 09:10:32 PM »
Cool -- does this mean that ED can work in serial terminal mode (i.e. no menus)?
That is the idea, yes.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #697 on: September 02, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
The SYS:System/Intellifont behavior has changed a little in 3.1.4.  When starting-up it is actually scanning all of my volume's first level directories for fonts and not just the FONTS: assign and so it is taking some time now to start up.   Also, the cycle gadget now contains the complete path instead of the text "Fonts: Path Component #1" This is okay except the path text is not fitting in the cycle gadget and so the text goes onto other portions of the GUI.

guest11527

« Reply #698 on: September 02, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
The SYS:System/Intellifont behavior has changed a little in 3.1.4.  When starting-up it is actually scanning all of my volume's first level directories for fonts and not just the FONTS: assign and so it is taking some time now to start up.   
Actually, this did NOT change. Intellifont always scanned all inserted volumes for fonts.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #699 on: September 03, 2019, 04:50:48 AM »
Also, the cycle gadget now contains the complete path instead of the text "Fonts: Path Component #1" This is okay except the path text is not fitting in the cycle gadget and so the text goes onto other portions of the GUI.
I can replicate this issue. Given that the path is listed in the string gadget just above, listing it again in the cycle gadget is unnecessary. Not sure if listing it a second time is a bug or a feature, but I think the old behavior from 3.1 is better.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #700 on: September 03, 2019, 04:57:23 AM »
I ran SnoopDos and do see a difference in the 3.1.4 version and found out there is a NODISKSCAN flag that is not there in 3.1.   When I run with this option, then I see same scanning behavior as 3.1. 

If the new diskscan option is suppose to show all Intellifont directories besides the FONTS: assign, then it isn't doing that.  Only the FONTS: assign shows up in the cycle gadget for me.

A separate thing is in regards to the cycle gadget in the 3.1.4 version.  The cycle gadget in 3.1 shows "Not in Fonts: Path" when adding a path with the file folder gadget when that is not in the FONTS: path.  This is not happening with 3.1.4 -- i.e. there is no text like that.

The SYS:System/Intellifont behavior has changed a little in 3.1.4.  When starting-up it is actually scanning all of my volume's first level directories for fonts and not just the FONTS: assign and so it is taking some time now to start up.   
Actually, this did NOT change. Intellifont always scanned all inserted volumes for fonts.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #701 on: September 03, 2019, 04:59:39 AM »
That is the idea, yes.

Nice!

guest11527

« Reply #702 on: September 03, 2019, 07:54:39 AM »
I ran SnoopDos and do see a difference in the 3.1.4 version and found out there is a NODISKSCAN flag that is not there in 3.1.   When I run with this option, then I see same scanning behavior as 3.1. 
No, you see a *different* behaivour than 3.1. Once again, I did not invent the code to scan all devices. That's in the code since ever.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #703 on: September 03, 2019, 01:47:28 PM »
A separate thing is in regards to the cycle gadget in the 3.1.4 version.  The cycle gadget in 3.1 shows "Not in Fonts: Path" when adding a path with the file folder gadget when that is not in the FONTS: path.  This is not happening with 3.1.4 -- i.e. there is no text like that.

I can replicate this as well. Definitely starting to look like a bug was accidentally introduced in the cycle gadget.

guest11527

« Reply #704 on: September 03, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
I can replicate this as well. Definitely starting to look like a bug was accidentally introduced in the cycle gadget.
The 3.1 version just printed that the directory was in component #n of the path, which was not very useful at all. (How do you count that and why is this
useful information?) 3.1.4 prints the full font path. I now added a code to check for paths that are too long. In that case, the name is now abbreviated.