Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o  (Read 5087 times)

Description:

Offline VanillaTopic starter

• Show all replies
I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
I'm sorry but I just can't work this site out. Soneone said once that amiga.org had to go CSS to avoid modern hacking techniques but I find the result impossible! It all looks nice but I just can't work out how to do anything on it.

One thing is searching; I went to search here when I was on another machine (unlogged in) and was presented with a question.  As I wasn't logged in I understood it though it did seem extreme as other sites let you use their search engine without passing a phrase test. But today I was logged in and it still asks me a question! What the?! As a user why aren't I allow to freely search?

Another thing is tracking down my own threads. On other sites there is uusally a button I can press and I can get a list of my recent threads and posts. but here I am totally lost. There doesn't seem to be an account section where all this info is printed on one page. What is the standard way of doing this?

Finally trying to reply to posts has got me beat. I have used other modern CSS forums and usually you can drag select a section and press the Quote button. but here I see no such thing! The Quick Reply doesn't work for me as the "@User" isn't pasted in. And using "Quote message in reply?" didn't paste any quote in either. The other Quote just quotes the whole message forcing me to copy and paste quote codes by hand. Now this doesn't seem very modern!

I looked on site for instructions but none could tell me how to do normal stuff and reply to people. There were no examples. How on earth do I reply to a post and be able to quote and respond to different sections of text? It's got me beat! :-?
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

• Show all replies
Re: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;518581
Hmmm, Id be keen if Wayne would increase the level of quote nesting... it is hard to keep track of comments as currently only one level of quoting is allowed, but default... I know the "Multi Quote" is supposed to mitigate that, but honestly Multiquote is useless :)
I've found another annoying thing. It let me start replying to a post then when I went to submit it said I wasn't logged in! What the? I was using OWB and tried to go back. It prevented me and said I wasn't logged in. So I logged in with the hope that it would have saved my post. It DELETED it!!! Mongrel!!

Had I been able to use IBrowse I simply could have gone back. I don't trust these supossedly modern CSS browsers and web sites!

Why did it log me out?! I can't work like this, not being able to trust my computer because it might freeze or crash is one thing, but loosing data to an ignorant website is another. I've never trusted typing on forums, too many things can go wrong. I only trust email where it can be saved and usually is in case of emergency and can be progressively editied. Nor forum, no matter how good can offer anything like that.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;518584
I spent over an hour typing up a huge post listing all the recent software that has been released for classic Amigas and got this exact same problem! So after I clicked back, my message was gone too! And this WAS in IBROWSE!!!

:-O!

Can't believe it! IBrowse has always been good to me.

I see lots on AW.net but have't noticed much here. But I'm not looking all the time. Working on other things usually.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;518587
@Cammy and Vanilla

deleting the cookies from time to time, helps with such kind of things (on both OWB and IB)

By hand? OWB has no cookes in menu.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;518592
If you need any help locating or using things, just ask.

I thought I did in the first thread but anyway, how do I reply to a person and quote to different sections of test?

On utilitybase I press "Quote" then drag select what I want and then have to paste it in between the codes, cluimsy, but works. Aw.net I drag select then click "Quote" and paste it in the box, prss return and it's in. Another non-Amiga forum I drag select what I want then press "Quote" and it's all done. Best I've sen yet! Because amiga.org is now modern I half expected it to work that way but it looks like it doesn't.

Not trying to compare here it's just what I'm used too. Also, what happened to the smileys? All I see is text. :-? Amiga.org still teething?

Quote from: Karlos;518592
Also, in the past, I've noticed that when I get logged out whilst writing a post, simply submitting the post is enough. It asks you to put in your login credentials again, and if you do so correctly, your post is submitted. There's no need to try to "go back" in the browser, the forum software has a degree more intelligence in that regard and temporarily holds your post whilst you login.

I tried this too but no post was posted.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;518616
And since we're here, I have sent a few private messages to people on this forum over the last few weeks, and half of them just didn't get through. I sent a message to someone, didn't get a reply, so sent another one and they replied saying they never got the first one. My next replies went unanswered too, and I wonder if they even got through. I had no login problems when doing this either, and I have submitted messages both from IBrowse in AmigaOS and Opera in Linux, and both times it seems the messages were never received and read.

Gee that's funny, I once sent you a message over at AW.net that remained replyless. :-) Hehe.

But I have noticed that sometimes if I reply as soon as I see it the other person will wait  a month when I have forgotten it.

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:02:44 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;518629
I just cannot believe there is so much whining over such a simplistic feature.

Can I ask what the feature is?

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;518701
@ Original Poster & A1260: Whining and saying you hate the site would earn you a ban elsewhere and doesn't help anyone.

When did I say this? Since I am the OP.

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:58:52 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;519102
You're the one complaining about it.  If you don't know what you're whining about, why are you whining?

Why do you think I am complaining and whining about it?!

A I said about it was:
But today I was logged in and it still asks me a question! What the?! As a user why aren't I allow to freely search?

Sorry if I thought that was a reasonable question to ask. Since it was answered I haven't said a thing since AFAIK so I don't know why this keeps coming back to me! :-D

Now, as to this feature, this a feature for the web master I take it? It certanly isn't a feature for the users. :-P

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:26:04 AM »
@Wayne

That didn't seem right. :-?

Another feature that's been explained several times, but obviously since you missed it, it doesn't exist

:-P

I only asked off hand since I had asked other things. So in effect I missed it!

Use the Enhanced Interface (WYSIWYG).

Whoa! The big one. Currently using standard si will change again. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Seriously though... vBulletin is used twice as many sites as any other package on the planet. The fact that you haven't run across it before is surprising, unless the ONLY sites you ever visit are confined to the now-antiquated Amiga.

No I go on other forums. I guess I don't try and go into detail about how the site works. Unless I don't know how to use it. Looks like I am having teething problems here now. ;-)

Everything you're looking for is there, and is usually in plain site, as long as you bother to look for it with an open mind.

I did take a look, and look in the FAQ's. I didn't see any one about major changes and how to deal with it including setting up the quotes so it worked as before.

I haven't done much HTML in my time, so I'm sure you will find it easier to understand than myself.

Replying with a quote is easy, just click "Quote" when reading a message. If you want to reply to multiple messages in one, simply select each message you want to quote, then click "Multi "" which is right next to the Quote button. The rest, meaning the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags work EXACTLY like they do at AmigaWorld or any other BBCODE compliant site.

Well it looks like I am getting somewhere finally thanks. I'm sure I have friends who are having the same issues getting used to things. :-)