Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMIGA OS is dead and so every other OS not being VISTA.. check this out  (Read 7778 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: AMIGA OS is dead and so every other OS not being VISTA.. check this out
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 06:52:50 PM »
amiga has outlasted windows 386,3.0,3.1,95,98,me, and 2000 and it will outlast xp and vista as long as there are machines to run it; which with winuae and aros will be a long time.

chrizzzzzz will be back in a few years to say that all os's besides microsoft stupid pro are dead.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2006, 07:16:37 PM »
The big issue with Vista is that at this point it dose not support any programs that require Open GL to run properly. And as far as playing two videos at the same time the Amiga can do that easaly using the Video Toaster Flyer so big deal.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »
Ok I checked out the demo. It does look nice. However, using OpenGL I can wrap any video stream onto a 3D object. Add an audio mixer and we're on our way to replicating this thing.

It sounds like Microsoft have designed a multimedia presentation system that's somewhat like Andreas Falkenhahn's Hollywood for the Amiga, but with video and 3D extensions.

My suggestion is this, instead of being wowed by this product, or, dissing Microsoft and Vista, how about we look at developing AVI, quicktime and mpeg datatypes so that Hollywood can play video. We already have avcodec.library (at least for OS4) so it should be doable. Alternatively Andreas could use avcodec directly. That would mean he'd have less time to develop other stuff though so it's preferrable that someone else does that work.

For the 3D stuff, that's something Andreas can aim for in Hollywood 3.0. AmigaOS4 has Warp3D/MiniGL and will be getting MESA, Morphos has a TinyGL derivative (does Aros have anything) and classic Amigas with 3D cards have Warp3D. There's no reason why we can't have the same thing. I think that Hollywood, as it stands now, is a good starting point toward a media development framework that can do the same thing.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline TheWizard

• Show only replies by TheWizard
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 07:39:03 PM »
You know, I checked out that demo months ago. Why is this bloke being such an evangelist today? Also, how is WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation (layer) an app?  :roll:

The Wizard
Amigas:
A1000, 8mb Phoenix Fast-Ram Expansion
A2000HD, Kick 3.1, Fusion 68040, 20megs Fast Ram, Genlock

Offline Hans_

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 07:44:28 PM »

TheWizard wrote:
You know, I checked out that demo months ago. Why is this bloke being such an evangelist today? Also, how is WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation (layer) an app?  :roll:

It's not. However, it does alow you to create media-rich apps fairly rapidly.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2006, 07:57:10 PM »
Vista = a dumb American operating system.

"Youre either a Vista user or a terrorist"
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »

It's not. However, it does alow you to create media-rich apps fairly rapidly.

Thanks man - I've actually been experimenting with application development under WPF/Expression for a while now. Cheers! ;-)
Amigas:

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2006, 08:02:23 PM »

Chrizz wrote:
I'm running enterprise on 3GHZ + 2GB ram and works just fine.

Amazing! now my 68060 csppc Amiga runs circles around your machine in terms of multi tasking and boot time  :-D
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »

koaftder wrote:
there really isn't much left to innovate at the OS layer
There is a hell of a lot to innovate at the os layer. Current os'es are dog slow, bloated and inconsistent.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2006, 08:29:26 PM »

cv643d wrote:
Vista = a dumb American operating system.

Now that's just plain silly.

I do love, however, terrorizing PC users!  :-D
Amigas:

Offline Hans_

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2006, 08:30:49 PM »

TheWizard wrote:

I do love, however, terrorizing PC users!  :-D

So you just admitted it.  :lol:

Hans

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2006, 09:03:33 PM »
I don't know about the WPF, but Windows has featured the GPF since its introduction.  I hear that's a real application killer, too.

Oh wait, you said killer application, not application killer.  nevermind...  :lol:

Offline Starrunner

• Show only replies by Starrunner
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2006, 09:18:39 PM »
Windows Vista is the reason that I am going to be converting to Macs for my video business, and most likely Linux of some kind, or MorphOS at home.  If I could ever get the A4000 I have to run right it would do everything for me and sod off on the PC.  And Microsoft...

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:42 PM »
@llwrath:  :lol:

Who was General Protection Fault, and what was he doing on my computer anyway?!

- Ali

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2006, 09:36:17 PM »
I couldn't get myself to read the full thread, so please skip the points I mention that already have been mentioned before ;-)

In this world we're living in a computer is something with a Microsoft Windows 'Operating System'. Atleast, that's what the majority believes. Sure, more people seem to like Apple's OS (I'm using 9.2 here at the moment) every year but most people use MS's Windows. And only God knows why!

I've got myself some computing experience in the past 18 year or so and it were those years that computing took a serious flight, mainly started by Amiga. So all the flashing knobs, screeming whistles and shaking keyboards were introduced to me over a nice long period in time allowing me to get used to it. Due to my work I had to use DOS, Windows3.11, Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, OpenVMS, various Linuxes and privatly I added Apple's 9.2 and X as well. So I've came across a lot of odds and weirds in all those OS-es but luckiliy for me, not all at once!

Try to imagine the hopeless individual who just has bought his/her first ever PC with WindowsXP. Try to imagine all the hairs he/she is pulling out of his/her head when he/she [from now on HE, if you feel offended read SHE instead] tries to get the machine on the internet. Imagine the fight he has to put up just to try and create those nice picture-effect things he saw in the advertising. Sure, he can take the invitational tour of XP but does that really teach him anything? We know our ways through the system but just imagine you've never used a computer.... All I can say I'm glad I got involved during the Amiga-hype. If I had to step in NOW, I'd probably repack the machine within the hour and try to trade it for a type-writer, a bucket-load of enveloppes, stamps, a deck of cards and a good book!

Microsoft is sure to sell a sh*t-load of Vistas and I'm pretty sure quite some of us here will have a go at it. I'm pretty sure I've got to as I'm planning on gettinga a AMD powered laptop. But I doubt it will stay on it. I simply find it hard to believe that an Operating System can only run in 2GB of memory with 2+ GHz of processor power. It's an Operating System! It's only purpose should be establishing communication between all kinds of hardware (Video card, Sound Card, DVD-player, Harddisk, etc...) and let me know the outcome of that communication. And if I feel I've got to do something with that outcome it should let me into the communication as well. No-one can convince me that for that communication 2 GHz of processorpower and 2GB of memory is needed!

So, that's my rant against Vista!

And Amiga? It will last and last and last and last....
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #59 from previous page: December 20, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »

And Amiga? It will last and last and last and last....

Amen!
I dont see anyone hanging onto there old 486 PC's  ;-)
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.