Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.  (Read 24918 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;628568
digitex is the online moniker for barry altman.

-- eliyahu

I guessed that from his first post and called him out on it, but the big bag of keech is too chicken to admit it... :roflmao:

C'mon Barry, take me on I'm ready and waiting for ya big boy... :roflmao:

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
Quote from: digitex;628573
Red, actually NOT, as the Disney factor has not even kicked in yet. The DVD is only being released today. There was no advertising yet at all. This was the CUSA factor of visitors to our site, and then clicking through to the forum link. Once the PR and ads break, we expect 1000 quests/members on the forum, at least for the first few months.

I'll probably buy the dvd just because the ad is in there.

Offline digitex

• Show only replies by digitex
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »
Quote from: Franko;628567
It tells me Barry or Leo whichever one you are that your a bigger idiot than I thought you stupid fool... :)

The day you picked to make your pathetic little claim that it was down to a "CUSA event" just shows what total dimwit you really are as everybody here knows that day was down "SpamBots" attacking the site not anything to do with your sad little copyright infringing cesspit of a company... :)

So stick that in yer pipe and smoke it ya dunderheid... :roflmao:

I said "...most likely...." so if that's the case. i stand corrected. Still does not change the stats, and the point I was making is that there are far more normals out there in the wild than there are here.

Frank, get help. Are you able to express yourself in a normal tone, in proper English, and without the personal, vulgarity cloaked in pseudo dialect slang?.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
Enough is enough, some people still insist on ignoring the TOS. No more informal warnings after this post, infractions will be issued.

Posting Guidelines

No trolling.
Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to get people angry. Substance is the key to not being labeled a troll.

Blatant personal attacks are not permitted.
Criticize ideas, not people. Excessive flaming will not be tolerated. Users who verbally assault the character or person of other posters on a regular basis will be banned. Name calling is best left to grade school. Moderator's judgment applies here. "You are wrong" is not a personal attack; "You are an idiot" is. "You do not have all of the facts" is not a personal attack; "you are obviously clueless" is. These are generalized examples, but you get the idea.

Posts of a libellous nature are not allowed.
Everyone has a right to their own opinion, whether you think it right or wrong. Posting false information about an individual is not only bad form, but could become a serious problem, both for the poster, and for Amiga.org itself.

Members will not publicly question a moderator's decision.
All moderation concerns should be addressed in a private manner, either by private messaging or emailing the moderator in question.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Quote from: digitex;628556
really???  :)
"...So £99-109 is more than enough for just a case "

BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH, TRY TO ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN FOR 2 SECONDS, AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THIS REALLY COSTS:

custom injection mold ABS case, that is available nowhere on this planet, a custom keyboard (like DAS), with custom dual shot injection molded spherical keys, Cheery Blue key switches, metal UL bracket for dvd & hdd, dual SATA & Power cable harness(custom), LED/Power switch combo,  rubber feet, custom logo badge (not a sticker) 40mm x 10mm high velocity silent fan, 42 format card reader w/ USB port, case plates for dvd opening and card reader, screws and cable ties, full color glossy printed showcase package carton, shipping carton, labor to assemble (not little Chinese kids), 100% assembly in USA, printed insert material, incoming freight charges, ADD TO THAT AN AMORTIZED AMOUNT FOR THE COST OF DESIGN & MOLD CONSTRUCTION (ALMOST 100K US$) AND THE FCC & UL CERTIFICATIONS.

"..crap motherboard specs worth about £50-75 AT BEST."  

GO PRICE OUT AN INTEL ATOM DUAL CORE 525 @ 1.8 GHZ, WITH ON BOARD DC POWER CONVERSION (CRITICAL) WITH NVIDEA ION2 GRAPHICS, WiFi/n BLUTOOTH on board or mini pcie card,EXTERNAL 90 WATT 12 Vdc universal power adaptor, incoming freight. YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS ANYWHERE, REGARDLESS OF THE MANUFACTURER, FOR LESS THAN OVER US$200+.  AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE MEMORY!

THE ACTUAL KEYBOARD CANNOT BE BOUGHT FOR LESS THAN $135-$160, AND THAT WILL STILL NOT GIVE YOU THE CUSTOM EXACT STYLE AND SHAPE AND COLOR OF THE ORIGINAL C64, JUST UPDATED WITH MODERN FUNCTIONS.

NOW YOU KNOW WHY THIS MACHINE IS PRICED AS IT IS. BUY IT OR DON'T..JUST BE AWARE OF WHAT IT IS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, BEFORE YOU FORM YOUR OPINIONS AND MAKE RIDICULOUS COMMENTS.

All caps is hostile and unpleasant.
FCC certification procedures no longer require testing, rather the manufacturer merely states that they guarantee the product meets FCC regulation.
UL testing is not mandatory.
Every other manufacturer of hardware faces similar tasks listed in this rant.
Similar spec systems without a C64 look alike case (but supplied with Windows 7).

1) Acer Aspire Revo $344.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103297

2)Acer Veriton $434.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103324

Or about $165 to $255 less.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline crawff

• Show only replies by crawff
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
Where is this commercial being played? anyone know what channels or what country?

Franko is a secret C=USA agitator (paid by Barry Altman to stir up controversy)

Offline Franko

« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »
-MODERATED-

PS: Red... Issue away I've had my say the truth is out, to be honest I dont give a shit about this anymore... :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:29:31 PM by redrumloa »

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
As mostly a lurker I have to say the following:

- Franko and most of the other trolls on here come off as mentally challenged people with no lives.  

- I think it's great that someone is actually doing SOMETHING with the Commodore & Amiga names.  Bottom line is that no one else was, and taking a stab at the x86 market probably offers the best chance of success.

- I have to question the market for a C64-style chassis.  It has some retro appeal, but in reality who would want to use something like that every day?  Nevermind the lack of ergonomics and non-standard keyboard layout, but is there a market for the computer-in-a-keyboard form factor anymore?  I don't think so, but perhaps I'm wrong!

Anyway, best of luck Commodore USA.  And Barry - why do you bother coming here and arguing with the trolls?  You'll never convince them of the obvious - it's a waste of time.

Offline crawff

• Show only replies by crawff
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Are you calling Franko a troll?

Franko is a secret C=USA agitator (paid by Barry Altman to stir up controversy)

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Similar spec systems without a C64 look alike case (but supplied with Windows 7).

1) Acer Aspire Revo $344.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103297

2)Acer Veriton $434.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103324

Or about $165 to $255 less.  

No shit.  Are you seriously wondering why Commodore USA can't match the price of an Acer spec for spec?

No one competes with low-end PCs from Acer/Dell/HP anymore unless they have something unique.  There's no profit to be made.  Commodore USA's selling point is the Commodore name, unique case, and retro appeal.

Commodore USA is banking that people will pay a premium for that.  Will they?  I think some will.  We'll find out.

Heck, if some people are willing to pay a much bigger premium for sub-standard, slow hardware based on an obsolete platform just to run an obscure OS that is incompatible with the vast majority of software and hardware out there... perhaps Commodore USA has a chance!

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
Quote from: digitex;628559
Think about this....the all time record for most users -=Moderated=- on Amiga.org was 497 on July28,2010, most likley because of a CUSA event. And how many years has this forum been up???

Last night our forum was holding at between 725-800 quests/members, and the forum is only a few weeks old.

Just what does this tell you?

Marketing Hype does wonderful things. Now you just have to deliver. Though I think we are not what your targeted market should be.

@Everyone, Let's keep it civil!

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;628591
No shit.  Are you seriously wondering why Commodore USA can't match the price of an Acer spec for spec?

No one competes with low-end PCs from Acer/Dell/HP anymore unless they have something unique.  There's no profit to be made.  Commodore USA's selling point is the Commodore name, unique case, and retro appeal.

Commodore USA is banking that people will pay a premium for that.  Will they?  I think some will.  We'll find out.

Heck, if some people are willing to pay a much bigger premium for sub-standard, slow hardware based on an obsolete platform just to run an obscure OS that is incompatible with the vast majority of software and hardware out there... perhaps Commodore USA has a chance!

I think I've mentioned in previous posts that the Commodore and Amiga  names aren't important to me (while the seem to be a point of religious  reverence to others).
The case is cute. But not two hundred dollars worth of cute. And retro appeal is more than appearance.

As to obscure OS' and incompatible systems, that just a hobby. And when I use an X86 PC, its just an appliance.

However, I will agree with you that C=USA is likely to sell a few of  these. There probably  is a market for them. And the introductory price  has to leave some room for profit for third parties. Also, in time it  could go down.

You also forgot to mention (as a selling point) the promise of a future Commodore OS (with emulation of  older hardware).

But as to "Are you seriously wondering why Commodore USA can't match the price of an Acer spec for spec", absolutely. Computers are mere commodity items these days. You can attempt to market with unique features, but unless those features offer utility (rather than the intangibles you've mentioned) you're going to have difficulty justifying a price premium.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
Quote from: argo;628593
@everyone, let's keep it civil!

-moderated-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:32:44 PM by redrumloa »

Offline Etho

• Show only replies by Etho
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
OK I'm an OS4 guy but that advert was preaty cool! If they can maintain a standard then maybe people willl come around.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
Quote from: digitex;628559
Think about this....the all time record for most users -=Moderated=- on Amiga.org was 497 on July28,2010, most likley because of a CUSA event. And how many years has this forum been up???

Last night our forum was holding at between 725-800 quests/members, and the forum is only a few weeks old.

Just what does this tell you?

Most of the threads on your forum have under 1000 views.

It tells me that most of the guests on your site aren't people.

Or that they're really not all that interested in your site.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #119 from previous page: April 05, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
I think its interesting that their "ceo" is posting here but has not answered any of the questions raised by this "commercial".

Like did they have the permission from disney legally to use the footage from Tron that they used?

Where will this commercial air except for youtube?

Given their track record of plagerism, stolen graphics, half truths and hype so far, I don't believe they actually secured the rights to use this footage in one of their "commercials" which is certainly made for commercial gain.

Steven