Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Going Backwards!  (Read 2196 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Going Backwards!
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:50:35 AM »
Are there any expert Mac users here? (please remember I am posting this in the Alternate OS forum)

I am moving from an Intel Core2Duo MacBook, backward to a 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook and need advice about transferring everything from the Intel MacBook to the G4 PowerBook.

Actually I have already reformatted the Intel MacBook, but before doing so I used Time Machine to completely backup all files and programs on the MacBook to an external USB2.0 hard drive.  One of the main things I want to transfer is my iTunes music and video files without using an additional allowance of how many different computers you are allowed to share your iTunes files on (since this is a move and all the iTunes files have been removed from the Intel MacBook).

(Where did I put that Mac for Dummies book?):roflmao:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Going Backwards!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »
I hope you also posted on a Mac forum.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;581702
I hope you also posted on a Mac forum.

have you ever tried to get a useful answer on a Mac forum?  I'll stick with the people here instead of wasting me time and elevating my frustration level over on some Mac forum.  Amiga.org members Rock!

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
You could try to restore the Powerbook using the Time Machine backup. Don't know if that will work, probably depends on the Mac OSX version you were running on the intel Macbook (10.6 does not run on PowerPC). Insert the installation DVD for 10.5 and after a while (when it asks you if you want to move files from another Mac) you're able to select "Restore from a Time Machine / Capsule".

If that doesn't work out you can just install the machine and attach your USB drive. The backup on the disk should contain a file called ".sparsebundle". If you double-click it it will be mounted as a drive on your machine. Navigate to it, select the folder with the date of the backup and drag over the files / directories you want restored. If you restore 'Library' or other system folders don't forget to logout/login or reboot.
A3000T

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Time Machine backups aren´t the best way to do this, but I suppose it is possible to mount them and get the files for a different machine, but I´d be somewhat cautious.

Anyway, as deauthorization works, you can keep the files on the other computer, you just won´t be able to play them there. Unfortunately you can just deauthorize all your computers at once and reauthorize them one by one. And you can´t deauthorize again for (i think) 6 month.

So if everything else fails. Put the backup back to the core2duo and copy the files from there.

Oh, and yes. Apple authorizes the machine. Not the iTunes library, so you have to authorize the new/old machine no matter how the files arrive there. The scheme has the benefit, that any user on the mac may play the files.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:45:56 PM by lsmart »

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;581701

I am moving from an Intel Core2Duo MacBook, backward to a 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook and need advice about transferring everything from the Intel MacBook to the G4 PowerBook.

sorry, I am not a well versed Mac user, so I can't ofer any help to you. But I can't help wondering what made you switch back to G4 ? Stability issues ? Power consumption ? :confused:
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
Oh, wait. Since you still have the Core2Duo you can deauthorize it inditidually. The Limit on deauthorization only applies, if one of the boxes you want to deauthorizeis not in reach to do the deauthorization on the machine itself. As far as Iremember, you are using iTunes to do the deauthotization by clicking on the iTunes Store, then your username at the top/right side ... but my iTunes doesn´t show the button that I was looking for now ... strange.

Offline illy5603

• Show only replies by illy5603
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
Like others have said, I am not even sure your time machine backups will restore to a G4 system. Perhaps restore the time machine backups back to the system they came from and then reformat the USB drive and simply copy your "house" over. This should copy everything over.

remember to de-authorize any purchased tunes on your restored mac too. If you are like me, you don't have any... :-)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
Quote from: countzero;581738
sorry, I am not a well versed Mac user, so I can't ofer any help to you. But I can't help wondering what made you switch back to G4 ? Stability issues ? Power consumption ? :confused:

Reason to move backward is in preparation for MorphOS2.x support for the G4 PowerBook and the desire to only be using one laptop, not two.

(edit: Plus, the G4 PowerBook has a nice 17" display, backlit keyboard & better finish that does not show wear like the black finish of my MacBook does.  My first Mac ever was the last version of the Titanium 1GHz G4 PowerBook and I really tried to keep it alive, fixing it 3 times before finally giving up and switching to the Intel MacBook. Now, it is nice to have a G4 PowerBook again, even if it is a bit slower than the Intel MacBook.  Once MorphOS2.x is released for it, I won't be complaining about the speed, as I am sure MorphOS2.x will fly on this G4 PowerBook, being even faster than the current MorphOS2.5 speed champ, the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini & soon the dual 1.42GHz G4 PowerMac w/MorphOS2.6)

Thanks to everyone else for their answers, or attempts to help.  For some reason my external hdd does not show up at all on the G4 PowerBook, even though it is running MacOSX10.5.8 just like the Intel MacBook was running until I gave it to my Son.  Now it has 10.6, Snow Leopard running on it.  I am hoping to avoid a restore to the Intel MacBook, because it would mean erasing my Son's files, but I guess I could back-up his setup and account and then restore it after I have finished migrating all my stuff to the G4 PowerBook.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:05:57 AM by amigadave »

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »
It could be that your G4 Mac cannot read the disk due to the partitioning style the new Intels use. GUID versus the old powerpc style.

If that is the case, connect the disk to to Intel Macbook and connect both Macbooks together with an Ethernet cable. Share the disk on the Intel Macbook, open it on the G4. Should function in the same way as a directly attached drive from there on.
A3000T

Offline sbeehre

• Show only replies by sbeehre
    • http://www.coarsefishing.co.nz
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
Quote from: mousehouse;581793
It could be that your G4 Mac cannot read the disk due to the partitioning style the new Intels use. GUID versus the old powerpc style.

If that is the case, connect the disk to to Intel Macbook and connect both Macbooks together with an Ethernet cable. Share the disk on the Intel Macbook, open it on the G4. Should function in the same way as a directly attached drive from there on.

if you have an external USB case you can chuck the G4 drive in there and then just create a dummy admin account on the new macbook... from there you run the Migration Assistant and choose from a time machine backup another disk, then you just choose your external disk and pick your user account. It will transfer everything including all your apps etc! it really is a pretty awesome tool and lightyears ahead of the crappy windows file and transfer wizard!!!