Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rumor on Windows 7 Price  (Read 9370 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Rumor on Windows 7 Price
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
Vista isn't so bad most of the time. It's only a pain when run it :lol:

Seriously though, I don't have most of the problems Vista users seem to complain about. This is probably a consequence of the fact that I don't use it for anything except gaming. I disabled just about every non essential service (including themes). What I have, looks pretty much like Win2K.

The most annoying things I'd say I'd encountered with Vista are

1) Vista likes to guess which folder view you prefer, even when you tell it you want a basic list only. The moment any sort of media file ends up in a folder it suddenly tries to get all clever and switch to a media centric view with ratings, meta information about the media etc. Not a lot of fun when it's a folder cram full of source code with a test sound file or something.

2) Vista's update manager. For some reason (though I managed to disable this one), when it gets a critical update, Vista wants to reboot your machine. It pops up a dialogue and you can postpone it. However, here's the rub. The dialogue doesn't tend to be visible when you are in the depths of the capital wasteland.

3) Vista's image viewer. It's crap. It doesn't seem to let you view at 1:1 size most of the time.

As for boot times and performance, I can't really complain. It's slower to boot than linux on the same machine, but one it's up it is fine. I've played fallout 3 at 1680x1080 many times, wondered why my hard disk is making a noise and discovered it's running a defender or antivirus sweep. You can't tell any other way as there's no observable slowdown.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;512679
I have no choice but to use Vista on my HP notebook;  lack of XP drivers, have not found ONE Linux distro that has drivers fro all my hardware

You must have a pretty weird laptop then. My brothers dual core Acer boots fedora 9, 10 and ubuntu 8.10 from a pen drive without any problems. The display, removable media, wireless and built in LAN all worked.

Sometimes you don't get particular drivers out of the box though. It doesn't mean they don't exist, you just have to install them yourself. Of course, if the missing driver is for your network hardware then you do have a bit of a problem :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:46:24 PM »
Well, at least there's one place where AmigaOS wins hands down:

int p; // A