Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition  (Read 8867 times)

Description:

Offline hbarcellos

• Show all replies
Re: The Retro Remix Amiga Game Making Competition
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
I would only disagree with the deadline.
Create 1 contest per year. That way you'll have several advantages:
* Developers would not rush to develop something
* You'll probably receive more polished games
* More chance of ppl creating C or ASM games instead of Basic and/or using game creation tools. Over the years, these developers would end up creating reusable engines, what in the long term will increase even more the games overall quality
* Would be easier to get prizes. By doing several contests it would became difficult to find ppl wanting to donate more prizes.
* Will give you more time to organize the contest
* You'll have time between contests for, maybe, trying to organize boxed versions of the winners and finding a good online store to sell them
* You'll have time to find a good soul that would create a nice and fancy website to host the competition

etc... etc... etc....
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline hbarcellos

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Quote from: rednova;541679
I stick with Cammy. I believe a contest every two months is good. This way, every year we will have many new games for amiga. The original defender of the crown was created in 2 weeks, and I can easily make an amiga remake in 2 weeks. Many new games for amiga = more fun for everyone.

That's called the "Student Syndrome" and will happen anyway. Doesn't really matter the duration of the contest.
Student syndrome refers to the phenomenon that many people will start to fully apply themselves to a task just at the last possible moment before a deadline. This leads to wasting any buffers built into individual task duration estimates.

The problem is: Prizes. While the contests are fresh news that's fine. But having one contest every two months makes me think that maybe it would became tough getting 6 Amiga 1200 every year...
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline hbarcellos

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »
I must agree both with rockersuke and skurk.
- Comparing MSX with Amiga is simple impossible. Amiga is so much powerfull that you can create very nice and addictive games using Game Creation Tools. Nevertheless, it's much more powerfull hardware would require much more human effort to build extremely tweaked ASM routines. Hobbysts like us, can only code on the famous 3am coding sessions.
- BTW, most of the game contests on the MSX are related to the MSX1 platform. Few games for the MSX Turbo-R which is a 16 bit computer, and I bet none of those tweaked it even close to it's limits.

And finally skurk, you're right. No one is probably doing this for the money. I would do it for personal satisfaction of winning a contest. IF I ever remember how to code in 68k asm...

Offline hbarcellos

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;543224
Is anyone interested in entering or are you all unhappy with the rules?
There seems to be a lot less interest in this competition than the last one, and I have a feeling it's because no one is happy with the way I'm running it, so I don't know if I should just give up. I don't want to, I never want to give up on the Amiga.

I never expected trying to organize some fun in the Amiga community would make me so depressed.