Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tiniest AROS-compatible mobo?  (Read 5184 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Tiniest AROS-compatible mobo?
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 24, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;601496
@bloodline
Do you think a PIII will run UAE adequately under AROS? Oh god that sounds really ungrateful, but really if I'm going to grab some free hardware I should really check it's going to do what I need it to ;)

I don't see why not, my first proper experience with UAE was DosUAE on a 200Mhz PII, back in 1999... I was totally blown away by the fact that it was easily 2 to 3 times faster than my real 040 Amiga (in CPU alone, chipset operations were infinitely faster, if need be)... And has built in RTG/AHI support... That is when I knew the Amiga was dead.

UAE in AROS on a PIII should rock (especially if it has a Nvidia gfx chip), and if you use Janus then it should be effectively seamless experience :)

As for the case, yeah I was planning on asking around for tower-conversion leftovers or dead A1200s. Hopefully I can find one as shiny and White as my lovely NOS A1200 :)

There are plenty around ;)

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
@bloodline
Thanks :D Hopefully I'll be able to find a housing quite easily, and if I get some crimbo cash that'll pay for the Keyrah.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
@Nicholas

Maybe the festive season is rubbing off on me, but I felt compelled to say kudos on your offer, not sure if there's a thumbs up icon/smiley, but if there was I'd probably place one roughly here ---->

@Motorollin

In regards to UAE speed on the aforementioned laptop once upon a time I used to use a copermine based celeron @ 1058mhz + nvidia gfx based machine for my aros box. It's been a number of years (this is pre nouveau gfx for nvidia on aros), but Id imagine the results wouldnt be too dissimilar to the results of a mobile p3 933 based system. If memory serves me correctly it was more than acceptable for most things, and what did struggle was more a result of the emulation itself (ie. will still be quirky regardless of what hardware grunt is thrown at it). One thing to bare in mind though is that currently the intergration side of Janus UAE can be slow even on much faster hardware (it can be brought to a crawl on my 3.33ghz core2duo AROS box + nvidia gfx). I expect this to get better though (and janus uae is still being worked on), and there are times/conditions were the intergration is fast enough to be seemless (not always dictated by how heavy/light the 68k app(s) you're running are). For now you might find you're better off using some scripts, etc. to create your merging of 68k apps/games with AROS (ala amibridge/e-uaeload/gluae/etc.) than using the "real" intergration.

Anyway, up to you what you chose to do obviously, I just thought I'd mention some things that might be worth knowing. Again, feel free to ask if/when you have any questions. I've probably spent as much, or more time using the various aros uae's in various ways than anyone, so my trial and errors over the years may prove useful to you  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
@fishy_fiz
Thanks for the info! I might well get in touch once I've got AROS installed for some advice on the best way to set up UAE :)
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10