Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who killed Britannica?  (Read 3928 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
Re: Who killed Britannica?
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:49:30 AM »
I don't understand the relevance of Britannica in the 21st century. I mean, who would pay for an online encyclopedia that is out of date? And what can it offer that the free Wikipedia cannot?

Besides encyclopedia's are highly overrated in their usefulness for information anyway. Any information they contain is too generalized too be useful.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
Buuuuuuuulllllllll. Shhhhhhiiiiiiiitttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

People are always going on about Wiki being unreliable but i disagree. First - if anyone changes something the original poster is notified by email immediately and they usually change it back immediately. And second - if something is "wrong" and if enough people complain wiki will step in and resolve the issue. And third - Who is to say that one person is right over another? Historical facts will always be disputed, whether they are idiots on A.org or academics that are well respected people will always disagree. Overall Wiki isn't anymore trust worthy than Britannica.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24:33 AM »
@ChuchT.

Academics are a waste of space! Remember the more an academic learns about something the less relevant that academic becomes relative to that content!

Burn the academics! :flame:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
I agree. In my profession there are always people commenting that a higher education isn't needed and i can confirm that there are many people without a qualification who's abilities are higher than those with a higher education. But only up to a point. A former work colleague who was without doubt a smart individual and good at his job would constantly try to prove that a higher education wasn't needed. But then he would make assumptions about concepts that were just completely wrong. So while it is possible to learn on the job to a high level, it won't allow you to learn the theory and concepts behind what they are doing.

I would also like to mention how i define an academic. An academic is someone who has such a high level of (perceived) knowledge they cannot be challenged. So while i dislike academics i also appreciate the value of an education.