Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Powermac G4  (Read 4093 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Re: Powermac G4
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
Quote from: swift240;740366
Ok...............................
Searching through eBay for a powermac g4.
I am thinking of getting a powermacG4 for Morphose.
Now I have NO idea on mac's so what is the lowest spec system to run Morphose.

I don't recommend going for the cheapest lowest spec thing you can find just because the MorphOS license is tied to the hardware, and is difficult to transfer if you decided you need more capability...

I went through this with efika. Sold the MorphOS license and basically threw in the machine for $1.

Its like putting expensive rims on a clunker :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:50:53 PM by bbond007 »

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Re: Powermac G4
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;740420
The G4s have at least the advantage of being well upgradeable. I think a Quicksilver PowerMac G4 can get equipped with 1.42 GHz cpu cards or even faster ones.

From my personal experience I can very much recommend the Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz (very fast, tiny, not too loud and low wattage). It's a bit harder to obtain than the 1.42 GHz minis, but it's worth it. And if you happen do dislike MorphOS (I doubt) you can sell it off easily again via ebay and get probably about the money back you spent to try it out.

I also have the 1.42. I bought it new from Apple and now I have a licensed Morphos installed.

I don't so much worry about 1.42 va 1.5, however the 32MB VRAM vs 64 MB seems to be a bigger issue. Also, I don't know about all 1.42 models, but mine has the absolutely worst quality VGA output I have ever seen... the DVI looks great though :)