Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10892 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
Surface Pro is actually quite nice.  The Surface RT, though - is less useful than a boat anchor.

8.1 will address many of the complaints that came along with W8.  I've been running the PTR version for some time and it's come a long way.  Can avoid the Metro (Modern UI) crap outright.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
You also have to take many of those "slump" numbers with a grain of salt.

Some statistics firms, for instance - will list a Windows RT or Pro tablet as a PC in the numbers, but an iPad or Android tablet is classed as a tablet.  A Windows RT tablet is in no way a "computer", lol.  It's barely a tablet.  Traditional PC sales *are* declining, but I am more inclined to think that people simply aren't buying/replacing machines as often as they used to.  The technology has slowed down.  I used to build a new gaming PC every XMas.  I now do it every 2-3 years, as there's simply no logic in spending many thousands of dollars for what will get me 10% FPS in games between the two difering older/newer machines.

+1 to the words about ZDNet.  I used to really enjoy visiting their site, but the place has gotten extremely "click whorish" lately where stories are puffed up as propaganda pieces solely for the purposes of driving traffic while containing no real meat to the article.  I prefer The Verge these days - while not perfect, there's a lot less doomsaying going on there.

I feel the press often doesn't get the bigger picture.  Most people do not ever buy a tablet to replace a full fledged PC.  I own both an iPad and an Android device, and the thought of tossing out my $5000 gaming PC and using the tablets solely is ludicrous.  Not doable.  I am a computer enthusiast working in the trade, and a tablet will never replace my PC.

For a segment of the market, it is doable.  My mother, for example - has had a Mac since 2009 or so.  Used to do everything on it.  Got her an iPad last year and she rarely touches the Mac anymore.  About the only time she uses it is when she types up/prints recipes or Christmas cards and the like.

That being said, her needs are *extremely* limited.  Her computing requirements generally consist of nothing more than checking Facebook, her Hotmail email, and playing those goofy Popcap games like Bejewelled.  Tablet is purpose built for people like that, IMO.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:59:11 AM »
Quote from: persia;742106
To a different point Unix has won the tablet war, it's down to Linux based Android and BSD based iOS.  Unix installed base now is around 900 million devices.  The installed base of Windows is hard to calculate because it's been around longer, how many of the 3 billion manufactured units are still in use?  1 in 3?  The numbers are likely close.

Android has barely dented iOS on the tablet front.  The numbers you are referring to includes Android phones.  If one wishes to call iOS "Unix" or "BSD", and Android "Linux" that's on them.  But sticking a Ferrari decal on a Honda, or vice versa - depending on your perception, is sort of wonky.  Based on and actually being are two real different things, and until the day comes I can download source code for *nix and natively compile it without changes on either Android or iOS, I do see a difference.

Apple is still far more profitable despite losing quite a bit of ground market share wise to Android on the handset end.  iOS developers make more than Android developers still, despite the larger market share going to Android.

PS:  my daily driver devices are Android based.  No Apple fanboyism here, just facts.  Simple as searching for "iPad market share".

All Windows 7 games run on Windows 8 without issue, for the most part.  I've not yet hit one that does not, and I purchase 5-6 a month.  The claim that game manufacturers do not support Windows 8 is horseplop unless your version of "supporting Windows 8" is a giant sticker on the box that SAYS "FOR WINDOWS EIGHT!!!!11!!".

It doesn't really need to be stated.  Windows 8 has a full desktop GUI that really is not terribly different than Windows 7, and around here, most of the W8 detractors are guys that will openly admit they have never even tried it :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:48:54 AM by Duce »

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Metro/tile interface in W8 since the day I installed the OS, simply because I disabled it all.

As a whole, I find my machine runs quicker on Windows 8 vs W7, but I do prefer Windows 7 still.  Regardless of the fact I've done away all the tile crap, I still have an inherent problem with the whole logic of "2 OS's in one", even if I don't see the tile version in the least.  That being said, 8.1 is leaps and bounds better than 8.0.

Some people simply cannot fathom using Windows 8, just like some people can't even deal with Windows 7 and still use XP solely despite the fact it's at EOL status.  Personal preference and all that.  I don't like the OSX interface at all, but I'm not about to dismiss the entire OS as crap because I simply find it wholly unappealing to my personal tastes.

I've had zero problems with system stability, myself.  The only reboots I do in the least is when Windows update requires them.  This machine literally hasn't been turned off since the day I installed W8.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »
Quote from: Megamig;742320
IMHO the worst MS additions are the ribbon and metro interfaces. If people are that stupid that they cannot work out how to use a PC they should buy a mac instead!

Experienced users want to use keyboard shortcuts instead of silly icons.

Take for example finding a program (that is not a tile) to launch using Windows 8 you need to [Windows]+[Q] then start typing the name and hit enter yet in Windows 7 you can simply press the [start] button and type what you want in the search box. So much for making life easier.

Office 2003 is much easier to use as experienced typists could simply use [Alt]+[F]+[A] for example without the use of a mouse or touching the screen.

MS has a tendency to dictate what users want - pity that failed in Windows 8 with their start menu backflip. If MS wants to retain their reduced market share they need to start listening and giving users what they want because their Windows 3.x/95 heyday has long gone.

And oddly enough, the keyboard shortcuts and full desktop GUI are still there in Windows 8.  She's pretty much a Windows 7 Desktop experience under the hood.  As are they the same in every Windows and Office release since the dawn of time.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:00:30 AM »
All Android phones are a pain in the ass if they come with manufacturer skins/bloatware.  Buy a Nexus or HTC One/S4 Google model, or just roll vanilla android onto whatever you have.  It's well worth it.  I found my last S3 damned near unusable with TouchWiz, but loved it with vanilla JB.  Cyanogen is a Godsend.

Vanilla Android I find just great.  I'll likely never go back to an iPhone.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 06:10:25 AM »
Very good points, Nicholas - and ones I should have raised myself, heh.  Always is security issues to be aware of when you start noodling around with custom ROM's and such.

Android isn't for everyone.  I still use an iPad on a day to day basis, mostly because a lot of my content (books and movies I enjoy re-reading/re-watching) are locked inside the Apple ecosystem.

A lot of people have terrible, terrible experiences with Android as a whole, and honestly, IMO - the single worst thing about Android is the fact that every different handset maker slaps their own goofy interface onto the darned devices, making the whole experience seem very fragmented and disjointed between different manufacturers.  I find vanilla Android, Jellybean in particular - to be just a killer mobile OS.  If for some reason I was forced to go back to Android with TouchWiz or a specific manufacturers skinned up variant of Android I'd probably rather use a feature phone, heh.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »
Nexus 4 is last gen Google phone regardless.  Both the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google edition are fully 4G, though the pricing on them is significantly higher than the LG Nexus 4.

Curious to see final details on the new Google/Motorola Moto X.  Been a bit disappointed lately with lack of card slots in the Google phones and sure hope the Moto X has one, as my S3 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »
iTunes is 99.99% of the reason I am entirely steering clear of any Apple mobile devices in the future.  Sadly, until this ipad gives up the ghost, I'm still locked into their ecosystem.

iTunes is the biggest gongshow, trainwreck piece of software on the Windows platform by far.  Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think that's entirely intentional on Windows.  It runs fine on a Mac, but not on Windows.  I think they figure I'll get irked enough so I'll replace all my PC's with Mac's, lol.

I've had ZERO, and I mean ZERO issues with itunes on my macs.  Friendly on memory, never crashes or bogs the machines down.  Windows though, oooh boy, completely different story.  Not uncommon on my systems to find it using 2+ GB of system RAM doing nothing at all, just the program loaded not even playing music or with a device attached.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;742734
@Duce

When in doubt blame Windows.

:)

Hehe, one of those "if the shoe fits" deals.  And I say that as someone with MCSE/MCSA certs :)