Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Power Player 76000  (Read 557 times)

Description:

Offline dmac721Topic starter

• Show only replies by dmac721
Power Player 76000
« on: June 11, 2004, 06:57:04 AM »

I recently visited a local mall and to my delight there was a small kiosk that was selling this neat little atari-amiga-nintendo type arcade game, so I threw my $50 down and took one home.

Simplest little thing. Some company (Bootleg no doubt) had taken 76 different games and mounted them all INSIDE this tiny little first gen nintendo controller. There were Nintendo games, Amiga Games, Intellivision games, and atari games.

It had an ac adapter and hooks directly to a tv set (watch that burn in there ;-) )but they all seemed to work rather well. Even the duck hunt and hogans alley that came with it worked as well as the old lame nintendo gun.

My point it, if Amiga wants to generate revenue for this next generation amiga, how much would it really cost to put the whole of famous amiga games on a single card and do something like this? I would have to say it could at least put the Amiga name back into the general public again.

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Power Player 76000
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 07:52:10 AM »
My point it, if Amiga wants to generate revenue for this next generation amiga, how much would it really cost to put the whole of famous amiga games on a single card and do something like this? I would have to say it could at least put the Amiga name back into the general public again.

(sigh) We've discussed this on here before...  The problem is, Amiga doesn't own the rights to the games.  The game distributors or authors generally do.  (or, in the worst of cases, there is split ownership between author and distributor...)  But anyhow, most of those companies are defunct now.  And most of the authors have disappeared.  The few companies that ARE still around have undergone so many management changes that any trace of the original Amiga games is gone.  

Most companies that have agreed to allow free, personal redistribution of their Amiga titles didn't even have a copy of the original in their posession, anymore.  That's why so many games on "back2roots.org" and the like are legal cracks.  And all companies are greedy enough that if they thought there'd be any profit in using their game in a multi-compilation, they'd want a cut.

Therefore, the trinket you bought, as suspected, was probably built illegally, and couldn't ever really stand much of a chance of being legal, unless it was made by the owner of the rights of the games.  (I believe the Atari game-in-a-controller toys that are out are made by a company who does have the rights to the old Activision Atari games.)

So, even IF an Amiga game-in-a-joystick was released, it wouldn't make Amiga any money.  It would be the person who owns the rights to the games who'd collect the money.