Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help needed getting Fastlane Z3 SCSI card & BlueSCSIv2 work together  (Read 435 times)

Description:

Offline RetronautTopic starter

I have bought a Fastlane Z3 SCSI2 adapter, and I'm trying to use it with an Amiga 4000.
So far, its not quite working, its still quite a ways off from being of any use.
It was bought as not known working, because the vendor said they had not used it in 5 years.
But, last time they had, they said it was fully functional.

Here are some photos of my device
Fastland Z3 - Front View
Fastland Z3 - Rear View

So, the situation…
When I plug in a serial connection into my BlueSCSIv2, and turn it on, it appears to be functioning as expected.
Further to this, I have already used THIS BSv2 with a GVP SCSI sidecar and it was working as expected.
So, I think its assembly is ok.

In the Z3 card, it sees the BSv2, as ID0 or whatever you configure it as, and you can select it, and try to configure it.
I have done this with both HDTools using z3scsi.device and also with its own native toolset from Phase 5 (unitControl2 and SCSIControl3).

Both tools see the drive. However, it is a little unreliable. For instance, when reading its details in HDToolbox, it sometimes reads the manufacturer information verbatim, but sometimes its characters are garbled, same goes for drive name, and version.

When I partition the drive, this works ok. However, post that, quitting the tool, the drive is not always mounted and shown on the desktop. Mostly, it is not, about 90% of the time, it does not appear, even after a reboot.

When it DOES appear, you can select it, and then format the drive, and this appears to work as expected. It's name changes, and you can open the disk, and it reports the correct size. However, when you try to write ANYTHING to it, it reports checksum errors, and data, never seems to stick, no files appear on the disk.

When using the unitControl2  tool to set the drives properties, it also sometimes reports a checksum error. Also, on occasion it will state that the drive's size is not divisible by the number of cylinders (or similar)

I am not sure if this is a hardware problem with the Z3. Oddly, in the the BSv2 serial logging, everything looks ok.
Or, is this a configuration/software problem, something needed somewhere with MASK values, sector values etc.

If anyone here also has a Fastlane Z3 that would be especially useful. Sadly, I do not have a REAL SCSI hard disk to test with. I'm not into using them as they are so unreliable now.

I may start, as a simple precaution to replace the cards caps. There are only 3, but who knows, maybe the power delivery is a bit off or dirty. I guess there could be an issue with the cards chips, which are mostly GALS or PALS (heat-sinks on all) but as it kind of works, I don't think it this. Usually ROM corruption or chip fails lead to more drastically bad behaviour.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it right now.

All help appreciated.

Offline Castellen

Re: Help needed getting Fastlane Z3 SCSI card & BlueSCSIv2 work together
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 09:24:33 PM »
Intermittent errors like that often suggest incorrect SCSI bus termination.  Check that in the first instance.

Failing that you'll probably need to find another known good SCSI device to check the Fastlane is working as expected.  I'm not familiar with the BlueSCSI, so don't know how universally compatible they are.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 09:51:10 PM »
I have bought a Fastlane Z3 SCSI2 adapter, and I'm trying to use it with an Amiga 4000.
So far, its not quite working, its still quite a ways off from being of any use.
It was bought as not known working, because the vendor said they had not used it in 5 years.
But, last time they had, they said it was fully functional.

So, the situation…
When I plug in a serial connection into my BlueSCSIv2, and turn it on, it appears to be functioning as expected.
Further to this, I have already used THIS BSv2 with a GVP SCSI sidecar and it was working as expected.
So, I think its assembly is ok.

In the Z3 card, it sees the BSv2, as ID0 or whatever you configure it as, and you can select it, and try to configure it.
I have done this with both HDTools using z3scsi.device and also with its own native toolset from Phase 5 (unitControl2 and SCSIControl3).

Both tools see the drive. However, it is a little unreliable. For instance, when reading its details in HDToolbox, it sometimes reads the manufacturer information verbatim, but sometimes its characters are garbled, same goes for drive name, and version.

When I partition the drive, this works ok. However, post that, quitting the tool, the drive is not always mounted and shown on the desktop. Mostly, it is not, about 90% of the time, it does not appear, even after a reboot.

When it DOES appear, you can select it, and then format the drive, and this appears to work as expected. It's name changes, and you can open the disk, and it reports the correct size. However, when you try to write ANYTHING to it, it reports checksum errors, and data, never seems to stick, no files appear on the disk.

When using the unitControl2  tool to set the drives properties, it also sometimes reports a checksum error. Also, on occasion it will state that the drive's size is not divisible by the number of cylinders (or similar)

I am not sure if this is a hardware problem with the Z3. Oddly, in the the BSv2 serial logging, everything looks ok.
Or, is this a configuration/software problem, something needed somewhere with MASK values, sector values etc.

If anyone here also has a Fastlane Z3 that would be especially useful. Sadly, I do not have a REAL SCSI hard disk to test with. I'm not into using them as they are so unreliable now.

I may start, as a simple precaution to replace the cards caps. There are only 3, but who knows, maybe the power delivery is a bit off or dirty. I guess there could be an issue with the cards chips, which are mostly GALS or PALS (heat-sinks on all) but as it kind of works, I don't think it this. Usually ROM corruption or chip fails lead to more drastically bad behaviour.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it right now. All help appreciated.

The Z3 has 3 Terminator resistors next to the 50 pin header. These maybe faulty. Also what SCSI ROM is being used? Type in a shell: version z3scsi.device
Ideally you need to be using version 8.5.

More info here for drivers:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/fastlane

And here:

https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1231

English Manual here:

https://retro-commodore.eu/files/downloads/amigamanuals-xiik.net/Hardware/FastLane%20Z3%20-%20Manual-ENG.pdf

Additional Phase 5 files and drivers here:

http://phase5.a1k.org/

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 09:57:08 PM by Boing-ball »

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 11:39:04 PM »
Hrm, I DO have a ZuluSCSI removed from a GVP HD8+ and it IS known working in that. However, they are kind of related (BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI). Ill give it a try, it'll be interesting to see if there are any differences...

Also, the termination, yes, it could be an issue. I'll see if I can find replacement resistor packs, if I can work out what they actually are...

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 11:50:35 PM »
Hrm, I DO have a ZuluSCSI removed from a GVP HD8+ and it IS known working in that. However, they are kind of related (BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI). Ill give it a try, it'll be interesting to see if there are any differences...

Also, the termination, yes, it could be an issue. I'll see if I can find replacement resistor packs, if I can work out what they actually are...

Which version of the SCSI ROM are you Using?

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 12:11:08 AM »
Sorry, forgot to say. Its 8.5, so it was either upgraded, or a late model.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 12:14:24 AM »
Sorry, forgot to say. Its 8.5, so it was either upgraded, or a late model.

Yep, that’s the last version released for the card which ironed out a few bugs and issues. Then I would concentrate on the Terminator resistor packs.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 11:16:28 PM »
So, according to the cards docs, the controller, needs termination. This is in place, the 3 terminator packages are installed, in the correct orientation. I checked them with a multi-meter, and between pin 1 and 2, its showing 164, and the rest the same, and the last pin is approx 94. All the packages respond the same.

The manual also says that the hard drive i.e. the BlueSCSI needs to be terminated as well, and it does this, auto-stylie.

And yet, it still does not working. Checksum errors on configuring it, quiting the scsi app, and after formatting.

I also tried my known good ZuluSCSI and it acts almost exactly the same.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 12:49:18 AM »
So, according to the cards docs, the controller, needs termination. This is in place, the 3 terminator packages are installed, in the correct orientation. I checked them with a multi-meter, and between pin 1 and 2, its showing 164, and the rest the same, and the last pin is approx 94. All the packages respond the same.

The manual also says that the hard drive i.e. the BlueSCSI needs to be terminated as well, and it does this, auto-stylie.

And yet, it still does not working. Checksum errors on configuring it, quiting the scsi app, and after formatting.

I also tried my known good ZuluSCSI and it acts almost exactly the same.

Which Kickstart ROMs are you using? SCSI.device is at which Version? Don’t forget older Kickstarts and SCSI.Device can be factors here. Especially with partition sizing etc…

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 03:56:52 PM »
I have installed 3.2 roms and Im using Workbench 3.2, as I understand it supports large drives.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 04:02:45 PM »
I have installed 3.2 roms and Im using Workbench 3.2, as I understand it supports large drives.

I’m taking it you are using the FastFilesystem? Or PFS3?

What are the following in HDToolBox?

File System Block Size
Mask
MaxTransfer

If MaxTransfer = 0x0FFFF or similar. Then try changing this to 0x1FE00.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 08:40:15 PM »
Hey, so I found the issue. Was a bit of a guess in the end, but it worked. Ill be releasing a video on the whole saga in the next few days

Basically, although the card does NOT need a Super Buster 11 from Factory, because of historical upgrades to the card, it now DOES.

With the Super Buster 9 in place, it manifested numerous subtle issues, mainly in the form of Checksum errors, but mainly, drives would not mount, or mount infrequently and not work.

Originally, I was going to do a video on a SCSI CD-Rom, disk swapper app, but considering the gip I have had with this card, I think it makes more sense to video document THAT journey first.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 09:11:56 PM »
Hey, so I found the issue. Was a bit of a guess in the end, but it worked. Ill be releasing a video on the whole saga in the next few days

Basically, although the card does NOT need a Super Buster 11 from Factory, because of historical upgrades to the card, it now DOES.

With the Super Buster 9 in place, it manifested numerous subtle issues, mainly in the form of Checksum errors, but mainly, drives would not mount, or mount infrequently and not work.

Originally, I was going to do a video on a SCSI CD-Rom, disk swapper app, but considering the gip I have had with this card, I think it makes more sense to video document THAT journey first.

Interesting to note. Look forward to your video 👍🏻

Make sure you post a link on here. I have subscribed, so hopefully I should get a YouTube notification for it 🤔

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 05:59:14 PM »
Ah, indeed, the video is...

Amiga 4000: Is the Fastlane Z3 the best home for a BlueSCSIv2 Upgrade?

Enjoy

Just watched it the other day 👍🏻 Make sure you also check out the following for drivers etc..

A1K.phase5.org

Has the latest SCSI UNIT and SCSI Control at version 3.1 😉