Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne clones?  (Read 11219 times)

Description:

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: AmigaOne clones?
« on: December 31, 2002, 01:03:00 PM »
Same old discussion again. You just don't get it do you?

Why do you think that it would be in Hyperion's or Amiga Inc's interest to "keep OS4 on one board"? Does the CyberStorm and Blizzard not count?

Can you give me one example of a reaily-available, affordable, non-Mac PPC machine that would justify the effort of porting AmigaOS?

No, Pegasos isn't. Out of different reasons.

No, Barbie isn't. You can't buy it as far as I see.

No, POP isn't either. The POP boards that are available (if at all) are rather expensive.

So what is the use of this whole whining and petition writing anyway?
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 01:04:33 PM »
But the hardware isn't POP. The only POP hardware available is way too expensive. Get over it.

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 01:08:46 PM »
Childish...

Everyone can get a licence. Stop making claims you cannot back up.

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 01:23:05 PM »

Skyraker wrote:

It's not FUD, it's just my opinion, i have no insider knowledge or any special powers like that, just the way i see it.... this is a forum after all...

Oh yes, it is. You have stated that Amiga Inc will not give a licence to anyone, without any knowledge or prove to back this up. You didn't even bother to say "in my opinion". You stated it as fact, and there are enough narrow-minded people out there that will swallow this.

I just don't think you'll see any clones until Eyetech has covered their outlay.... tbh do you blame them?

Sky.

I think this is again an indication of one of the fundamential issues in the amiga "community": Everyone grabs a piece of hearsay and posts this somewhere as a glorified news item. Everyone has picked his side already, so he hails all news from his side as truth and from the other side as lies.

Facts? Why bother with them.

The petition business is a good example. No one acknowledges the work it takes to actually make the thing, no one acknowledges the amount of work required to actually *support* this thing. Do you honestly believe that you can tell a customer "sorry we don't officially support your Hardware" or "No, we didn't get any official documentation from Apple, so we can't say what your problem is"? Do you think that this will be a customer for your next product?

No. If you want to keep the support effort in any kind of financially bearable framework, you need to restrict the options. Otherwise you can forget about it.

Of course it is aways easier to bash. (Or to use f-words on Bill McEwen, like in this other post. Can't you use civilized language? )

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 11:10:55 AM »

Paul_Gadd wrote:
Face facts the TeronONE board and OS4 is a SCAM to force Amiga zealots to buy already out of date machines.

With crap like this you are insulting me and all the people that put their time into OS 4. Why don't you just shut up?

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 11:21:08 AM »

mips_proc wrote:
bottom line is they dont want to sell OS4 to people like me....people who dont want to buy a 'special"(rebadged teronCX) motherboard to run their OS.... I want OS4 on my Pegasos...they dont want to sell it to me... you can sit and cry and carry on that OS4 needs this massive anti-piracy to keep people from stealing it...but the other side of the coin is...who really cares enough about OS4 to buy an A1 to run it? 'diehards' do... and those diehards would buy OS4 anyway...so there is no 'win' in tieing it to one board...

Are you really *that* clueless, or are you just playing dumb? This almost provokes physical pain.

If you don't care about OS 4, then just shut the hell up and don't buy it. But your incessant whining is enough to provide a clear indication that there is a demand.

Please acknowledge that the people involved feel that they have every right to protect their investment in time and money in the project.

Please, also read Khronos' post. Genesi doesn't care about OS 4. I don't know if this is true or not (I'd venture to say it is), the end result is that they don't cooperate on OS 4 for the Pegasos, and without cooperation such an undertaking isn't going to lead anywhere. I am sick and tired of hearing from people like you that we are withholding or forcing anyone to do something - if you don't want it, go buy something else.

But for god's sake, stop calling us liars. And please stop bashing the old horse of the "rebadged" Teron, it doesn't really matter in the least who in the whole wide world produced the board. I personally wouldn't care if the board was produced by bPlan, MAI, Escena (ok, that was a good one), or the pope. Or do you think the Pegasos is bad because it is also sold as a Linux platform? Probably not.

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2003, 11:24:31 AM »

Kronos wrote:

Currently MorphOS is leading by a distance and after I read the latest
interviews were all Hyperion-guys said something like "no no I mainly
work on Mac/Linux/?? projects, OS4 is done by someone else"

Ah, twisting the facts as always, are you?

"All" Hyperion-guys that are saying they are working mainly on Mac/Linux is me, and me alone. If you can point me to a place where Thomas said this, I would be rather surprised. You also neglegt to mention the 35+ developers outside of Hyperion that where hired for the purpose, but then, you never really cared about the facts.

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2003, 03:36:55 PM »

Kronos wrote:

But tell me, do you still count Mason (now come on nice icons, but
OS-developers), Strunzi (gives you access to his CVS) and all the
"I'll add a tiny tool to it" ?

No, these are people actively working on a component of the OS, not counting GUI designers, Icon designers, and most of all not the translators.

O.K. not sure about Thomas, but that would leave exactly one men
working full-time on the core components ........ see you in 04  :-P

OK, not sure about? No, not OK. Exactly my point. You don't know, yet you feel the urge to post it. Thomas is not the only one working on it, there are others.

But thank you, you just admitted that you post stuff without actually knowing the facts.

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2003, 04:12:48 PM »
I'm sorry, I am not going to make any statements about the current state of development anymore. I have stated the reasons for this recently on the AmigaOS4 list on yahoogroups - anything that I say will be intentionally misinterpreted, the facts twisted and talked to death on rumour mills. Examine the list archive if you are interested.

Recent examples prove me point, really...

I'm afraid you will have to wait for official updates. There are too many members of the MIF around here (that 'M' doesn't stand for MorphOS, in case someone wants to flame me for that).

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2003, 04:30:30 PM »
If you want it, ask Genesi to licence it. Porting OS 4 to the Pegasos is not a matter of good or ill will. Like Kronos pointed out, Genesi doesn't care about OS 4, even if some of their customers would want it, but there is nothing that either Hyperion or AI could do about this. A public offer of free hardware on some MorphOS mailing list hardly suffices. A call or an email to those involved would have been a bit less public but a lot more genuine.

Please note that this is not only a matter of licencing - there already was a clear "no" to us long before the licencing scheme ever came up. It's also not about Donglization - a USB dongle would do the same job. It is also not about exclusivity - there is no exclusivity involved in the OS 4 licence, since Eyetech also sells the machines as Linux only.

It is true that anti-piracy methods don't do much good, but they at least prevent some of the casual copies. Put it any way, but piracy is a problem, not only on the Amiga.

All buyers of an AmigaOne will get a licence to OS 4 included. I am not ready to judge how many buyers of a 500 + dollar mobo are going to pirate their stuff - I think the amount of piracy on the Wintel market speaks for itself, they also buy 500 dollar systems and pirate; some (mind you, some) people seem to think that paying for hardware is OK because you can touch it, but paying for software is useless since it is just magnetic bits.

The comparison between Genesi (or any Amiga company) and Apple is rather far fetched - if we could divide the sales that Apple has between all of the Amiga companies in existance, we'd all be considerably better off. Apple doesn't need to care for alternative OSes besides their own.

Offline Rogue

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2003, 05:51:47 PM »
@MarkTime
I'm sorry, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about. You don't know the details for the deal, so you are in no position to argue.

Personally, I don't care who you want to cut out of the income stream, but it is certainly not upon you to decide. After all, Amiga Inc. paid for the licences and the Amiga name and most important for the OS.

Plainly, I find your comment very offensive.

If someone wants OS 4, he should get it legally, or not at all. The Terrasoft boards don't come with a licence.

OK, that's it. I've posted here against better knowledge, and I can already see where this is leading.