Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne clones?  (Read 11197 times)

Description:

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
Re: AmigaOne clones?
« Reply #164 from previous page: January 02, 2003, 05:47:08 PM »
That (to my way of thinking) actually sounds a good idea, Warface.

Perhaps after Hyperion/Eyetech et al have recouped a decent proportion of their layout, your suggestion might be "the way forward".
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2003, 05:51:47 PM »
@MarkTime
I'm sorry, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about. You don't know the details for the deal, so you are in no position to argue.

Personally, I don't care who you want to cut out of the income stream, but it is certainly not upon you to decide. After all, Amiga Inc. paid for the licences and the Amiga name and most important for the OS.

Plainly, I find your comment very offensive.

If someone wants OS 4, he should get it legally, or not at all. The Terrasoft boards don't come with a licence.

OK, that's it. I've posted here against better knowledge, and I can already see where this is leading.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2003, 05:53:14 PM »

Rogue wrote:
I'm sorry, I am not going to make any statements about the current state of development anymore. I have stated the reasons for this recently on the AmigaOS4 list on yahoogroups - anything that I say will be intentionally misinterpreted, the facts twisted and talked to death on rumour mills. Examine the list archive if you are interested.

I understand your point. But you must see the frustration in the community over the lack of information regarding this. You know, people are actually buying the A1's *now*, and they will of course be interested in knowing when (approximation of timeframe) they will be able to use them as Amigas. And I am interested as well.;-)

I'm afraid you will have to wait for official updates.

Then can we please have an official update?  ;-)

No need for another promise, but perhaps a brief summary of the current status together with an approximation of the timeframe?

There are too many members of the MIF around here (that 'M' doesn't stand for MorphOS, in case someone wants to flame me for that).

Uhm, perhaps I'm clueless, but what does 'M' stand for? :-) And MIF too, for that matter?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline The_Editor

« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2003, 06:01:31 PM »
@ Rogue..  I think I'm not the only one that is pleased by your posting here !!

By defending your product against the "Nay-Sayers" your showing that you DO CARE,  and that gives me a good feeling about lashing out a *shitload of money on a A1 G4-XE  & os4.

Way to go (as the yanks say).

:-)
The Reluctant Pom

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2003, 06:10:18 PM »

Rogue wrote:

OK, that's it. I've posted here against better knowledge, and I can already see where this is leading.

I was honestly surprized to find you here (in a positive way). :-)

It has been a lot of silence recently, and I really think it's good to see at least *some* communication between the industry and the rest of the community. Anyone with a solid case shouldn't be scared of debating, especially with a "The opinion expressed is mine and does not nescessarily repesent that of Hyperion Entertainment"-disclaimer.

So keep it up! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2003, 06:22:52 PM »
I'm afraid you will have to wait for official updates. There are too many members of the MIF around here

The North American Amiga Optimist Society condemns the MIF.
--------------------------------
North American Amiga Optimist Society
January 2, 2003
All Rights Reserved.

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2003, 06:31:27 PM »
oh please, your arguments are weak...the only response is, you don't have official knowledge.....that is no denial AT ALL.

I suppose you believe Amiga did not get $50 bucks from a coupon deal/club because Amiga is extinct and that is impossible....Oh they could never get 50 bucks off the Amiga name!

GONG!  WRONG, they did.

Another example, a terrasoft board in the US costs under 500, the AmigaOne nearly 600 at most dealers.

It doesn't take insider knowledge to know that REAL world you are paying close to a hundred dollars for that Amiga name.....it doesn't take any insider knowledge to know if you could run AOS 4 on a terrasoft board or a pegasos, you could save nearly $100 bucks in the US.  Or could you?  If they had to pay the same licensing fee's who knows...

You arguments are weak and make little sense.  Real world, there is a huge premium on the AmigaONE board that is impossible to deny.

Just saying that an individual has been denied access to the reasons for this huge premium, doesn't defend the situation at all.

there is a real world, undeniable real world premium on AmigaONE boards, and that is not FUD at all.

And if its not costs, then its greed, but regardless of the excuse it exists.

I say my guess is right on the money, they charge $50 bucks.  

Offline MarkTime

« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2003, 06:49:43 PM »
@Rogue

I asked a question, is the amount $50 bucks?
I made no claim to insider knowledge, nor do I need any to notice the premium in price for an AmigaONE over other teron boards.

You are free to find my comments offensive, however, my comments were polite and reflect my thinking, and speak to my purchasing decision.
And I will not be the only amigan who doesn't purchase an AmigaONE and not the only person who purchases a Terrasoft board.

And for those us making that decision, we have certainly cut out Amiga, Inc. from any revenue on our hardware purchase, which is entirely our decision to make, its a free market.

Finally, as I stated before, I will buy OS 4, if you are willing to sell it to me, but if you don't, then I can't buy it.

Thats not a call for piracy, its common sense.

Anyway, now I am just repeating myself, but let me say this, it is pretty low to announce this huge offense based on a small an innocent post of mine.  You just swoop in every once in a while, I actually have to live here, so be nice :)

:-D

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2003, 06:53:33 PM »
@Marktime

Piss off.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline The_Editor

« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2003, 06:55:09 PM »
I'm VERY surprised Wayne has let this thread go on ... & on .... &  on .....& on....................

Usually locks out at 130 posts,  up to 170 now.
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2003, 06:56:52 PM »
@MarkTime

Face facts, anything you say which is slightly negative about the Amiga will be classed as FUD by the die hards,

Turning blind eyes, worshiping companies which clearly are involved in FRAUD, defending companies which have done nothing but rip off Amiga users and protecting a company which used illegal code in its software,

If this was about Microsoft you people would be ripping them to shreds but it is about Amiga so we all should STFU and defend their illegal activites to anyone that speaks out.

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2003, 07:03:54 PM »

samface wrote:
Amiga Inc. making money on the brand... LOL! I just can't help myself from laughing everytime I see this weird conspiracy theory popping up on Amiga forums. I mean, how much do you expect them to make out of a nearly extinct and forgotten trademark.
$50 bucks for each sold board in licensing fees? LOL! Where do people get all this from, really?

Lets see we got the idea for the trademark thing from Fleecy and Bill at the developers meetings.  (We also found out how much Fleecy likes sheep at those meeting 4 or more times per meeting), should we now think they found the error in their ways????    Did I miss the post when they recanted that????  
As for Amiga Inc getting money for each Eyetech board, that theory was most recently addressed by Lawyer Ben (not to be confused with Gentle Ben who hung out with Ron Howards brother) who said that Amiga Inc got very little for each sale of the OS, and instead was making money on the sales of Eyetech boards.  

Gee Whose FUDding now???
      -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2003, 07:07:58 PM »
@Paul Gadd:

Disagree this time - not everyone, and most importatly not on every occasion defending Amiga Inc or Eyetech or Hyperion or whatever is a worshipper action or a zealot behaviour. Rogue has a point on the easily misinterpretable exact amount, however insignificant the exact number is. Many will remember the 50$ and think it's the sum, but we don't know for sure, as the contracts are not public. (And there is no need for that. Point.)

A bit more careful selection of the words, and the argument will be valid, tho. IMO

Try to be positive, see the bright side of life  :-)

« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2003, 07:09:48 PM »
As enjoyable and informative as this thread is, we're going for a new record on thread size.  As such, it's time to close this thread and invite you to continue the conversation in seperate and new threads please.