Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestion . . . for free :-)  (Read 1764 times)

Description:

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
Re: Suggestion . . . for free :-)
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 02, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
HI VOLTAGE (mine is 27KV)
:nervous:  :nervous:  :nervous:  :nervous:  :nervous:  :nervous:  :nervous:

Yep that pretty scaring... an electric shock of this strenght would lead to instant death, I guess :((

BTW how much difficult are LCD screens to repair? They should be much safer to mess with as no high voltages are involved. Has anyone tried to repair one?

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2004, 04:57:21 PM »
I wouldn't mess with the insides of a monitor unless it was critically important. I like my life.

Too True.  I don't think the voltage is life-threatning, as it's a very quick spark, but it'd still be enough to cause some burns, etc.  At least that's what I'd estimate, as I watched a spark jump to my grounded workbench, inches away from my hand.  :-o   I followed the procedure to discharge the thing first, even.  Last time I'll open a monitor.

Fortunatly, many new monitors and televisions have their diagnostic modes totally electronic, now.  I fixed a miscoloration and non-linearity on my Toshiba television by just accessing the factory service menus.  There are websites that list the codes to get into these menus on all sorts of devices.  :-)

Offline frankb

• Show only replies by frankb
    • http://www.frankbrockway.com
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2004, 05:44:23 PM »

Varthall wrote:

Hem, usually PC viruses with a bat extension are not scripts, but plain x86 executables... You would have to launch them under PcTask, and still it would probably say "this program cannot be run in dos mode" :)
Once I replied to such a message, asking for an Amiga version of the attachment I've received... strangely, no one ever replied me ;)

Varthall

Actually a *.bat file on MS-DOS/Windows is a batch file. It is a script file. Batch as in a batch of commands put together to run quickly in succession. In fact .bat files are the first type of script file known to the Microsoft world.

The potential damage that could be wrought by running one of these .bat files is extremely high.
\\"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.\\" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2004, 06:09:18 PM »

Framiga wrote:
OT

sorry for the OT:

i'm just received 2 strange mails:

--------------------------------------------

1- From: dynamite@cynapses.org
  Subject: you are an idiot
  Attachment: painfulness.bat
  Text:

why do you do that?

I got the same thing to my hotmail account (possibly through the amiga.org address?):

Sent :  Friday, January 2, 2004 1:40 AM
To :  darth_x0@hotmail.com (:-o :-? **my** address is takemehomegrandma@hotmail.com)
Subject :  you are an idiot

Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): idiot.com (99 KB) More Info...  

why do you do that?

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2004, 06:28:07 PM »
lol, i always download those

DON'T PANIC!!!  :-D

i drag them into notepad and look @ how they're made. Most just try to do a low level format or somthing, nothing too interesting, a few do a netsend to everyone on the network going, IF YOU READ THIS YOU ARE A MUNCHKIN or somthing, and then reload themselves so you keep getting the messages until the sending computer restarts or runs out of memory, some deltree windows on restart, and some simply open a web location where they have the proper virus/trojan

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 11:50:16 PM »

frankb wrote:

Varthall wrote:

Hem, usually PC viruses with a bat extension are not scripts, but plain x86 executables... You would have to launch them under PcTask, and still it would probably say "this program cannot be run in dos mode" :)
Once I replied to such a message, asking for an Amiga version of the attachment I've received... strangely, no one ever replied me ;)

Varthall

Actually a *.bat file on MS-DOS/Windows is a batch file. It is a script file. Batch as in a batch of commands put together to run quickly in succession. In fact .bat files are the first type of script file known to the Microsoft world.

The potential damage that could be wrought by running one of these .bat files is extremely high.

True, but, from what I have seen until now, executabels are often disguised as .bat, .pif or
.scr files. Seeing that the suffix is not .exe, a novice user would think is not an executable, hence it's not a dangerous file.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2004, 12:09:09 AM »
@Varthall:
"BTW how much difficult are LCD screens to repair? They should be much safer to mess with as no high voltages are involved. Has anyone tried to repair one?"

Don't you believe it. The backlight /behind/ the LCD screen uses about 200 V ac to work. You can get a nasty shock from that, but I don't know what sort of power is involved, probably a couple of watts. You'd probably get burned by it (it's high frequency).

tony

Offline KapitanKlystron

• Show only replies by KapitanKlystron
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2004, 04:22:08 AM »
You want to be very carefull around CRT's.  The voltages are indeed life threatening. Especially the  aquadag and certainly focus screens as well.  

Although DC will not cause you to do the 60hz shuffle, 30 to 50 mA. is all thats required to cause cardiac arrest.

Take it from someone who deals with high energy sources everyday ( I am an Industrial Electrician).  I mind my manners around CRT's

Offline kgrach

• Show only replies by kgrach
    • http://www.revanchellc.com
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2004, 07:35:41 AM »
LCD's have High voltage on the backlighting. Give you a nasty surprise they will. But nothing really lethal like a CRT. Also CRT's can hold a big charge long after the plug has been pulled. CRT's can really chuck you across the room if you are not careful!

I unfortunately have done the funky chicken and the Wiley coyote act a few times in my life. Not fun!!!!

Offline FramigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2004, 10:29:10 AM »
Hi All,

mine was only a suggestion (not an order), for who is be able to do the job.

So . . . . as never said :-)

Ciao

Offline FramigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2004, 10:43:17 AM »
Hi takemehomegrandma

the 2 last mail (with viruses) wasn't sent directly to my address, but:

From dynamite@cynapses.org
To lu###zz@tiscalinet.it
Subject you are an idiot

and

From info@planetunreal.com
To ThatAccount####@tiscali.it
Subject registration confirmation

so same Domain but with the address of who have spread (with its AddressBook) the viruses . . .i think.

Anyway, as already said i haven't a PC.

Ciao