Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill McEwen interview at the Temple Of Technology  (Read 3955 times)

Description:

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
Re: Bill McEwen interview at the Temple Of Technology
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 09:40:27 PM »
The product that we are going to ship is going to be much better than OSX from Apple

Some people regard OSX better than windows or linux. Is this OS5 going to be better than these OSes with only 5 developers when these companies (Apple, Microsoft) and the linux community have hundrends or even thousands of developers? Not to speak about the budget they spend to develop their OSes these two companies:)

On the other hand simple is better and if they do it like AmigaOS it may be regarded by the Amigans as the best OS for their needs :) In software everything is possible even with a very small budget and few developers.

Anyway I want Samantha and AmigaOS 4.0 :)
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 11:48:36 PM »
Actions speak louder then words.

Exactly. Communication and signs of life is a positive step compared to the last several years, but it's still all talk.

We'll see... Or not...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline narcea

• Show only replies by narcea
    • http://www.mind-driver.com
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 12:49:37 AM »
Maybe there's something there with the cell. But as I said before stop talking and start showing us something. Talk is cheap.

Offline enirx

• Show only replies by enirx
    • http://www.snort.org
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 02:19:06 AM »
Mr. McEwan as astute as he may be, should take an example from other synergies between OpenSource communities and commercial companies…

In many cases the Open Source community offers instant and valuable feedback, as well as additional resources and “brain power” from people who know the product and have extensive experience using it. A good example would be Snort and Sourcefire.

McEwan’s biggest mistake is to marginalize his own power base. Without Amiga.org his job would be close to impossible in bringing Amiga back to the masses and continue to do so would be arrogance on his part.

As action speaks louder than words, the lack of both is deafening. A 25 questions “Interview” although it is a good start can’t cover for the lack of communication. You can’t gain market share and support when at the same time ignore those who wish to see that technology prevail…

Maybe I have been around the block for too long, enough to see or identify {bleep} and call it as such right when I see it. Only time would tell…

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »
@everyone
Since he's said, in his 25 questions reply, that there will be some kind of announcement at AmiWest'06 isn't it best to stop berating him for talking but not releasing anything until after AmiWest'06?

just a thought

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
Don't wanna be a {bleep}spreader, but I'll believe it when I see it.
On the other hand, we might just get Duke Nuke'em forever bundled with our copies of OS5! :-P
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 02:51:58 PM »
Tell us more Mr. McEwen... :roflmao:
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
@whabang
Aye, gotta agree on the "believe it when i see it" but i'll give him until after AmiWest'06 before openly berating him :-D
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline cpfuture

• Show only replies by cpfuture
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »
As I understand it, OS6, OS7 and OS8 are going to be even better than all the OS'es that ever existed on this planet combined! I prefer not to go into details right now, buy just you wait, because *bla bla* scalable and *bla bla* doing things different right now and *bla bla* very shortly and.. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »
I prefer not to comment at this time... but if i did i would say that interview was a load of bollocks
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 02:34:34 AM »
BM:  The product that we are going to ship is going to be much better than OSX from Apple

I sure hope he's talking about core technology, not user interfaces.  Old-fashioned UNIX is ideal for Apple's vertical monopoly, compared to more flexible VP techniques that can be licensed.  Hardly anybody has the budget to compete with Apple's glossy graphics, and casual users care more about style than substance, anyway.

TOT:  Will OS5 be a 64-bit OS, i.e. run on 64-bit CPUs, with a 64-bit address space? What about memory protection?

BM:  I would prefer not answering this at this time.

Why not?

BM:  The Cell processor is used by Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii (stupid name by the way), and Playstation 3.

Bill is not a hardware guy.

BM:  There are numerous other high end graphics and multi-media devices coming out in the coming months that use Cell, and Cell is PPC.

Cell is not PPC, it merely contains it.

The power of Cell is not in the PPC core.  The PPC is a [rather weak] controller that feeds the coprocessors that actually do the work.  Making a CPU-agnostic VP core would be ideal under this situation, thus reducing the significance of the PPC architecture itself.

Making software that runs on lowest-common-denominator hardware is easy, and Java owns that game.  The money is in coprocessor tools that fully exploit unique hardware features while still making software fairly portable (DirectX, for example -- Windows would be dead without it).

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 08:10:09 AM »
Complaints if he talks, complaints if he doesn't, complaints about what he says, and complaints about what he doesn't say!

Amiga Inc. will release specifics when they are ready.  Claiming that it is all bull%$#@ without having any facts is nonsense.

I am not getting my hopes up too much until I see what happens by the end of this year AND I am hoping for some more solid news at AmiWest.

:horse:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 09:13:06 AM »
Well there's your problem, so far all the A Inc goonies have done is talk and not talk. They haven't  released a single tangible product. And no, I don't call those 10 games or that T-shirt a product.

I say let A Inc be quiet and just release something whenever they're able to release something. *That* would give them some credibility again.

Offline Mikey_C

• Show only replies by Mikey_C
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 07:52:04 AM »
The problem with Amiga inc, and Bill has acknowledged it, is that they completely ignored us for 2-3 years?

Now they come back and its information city. Problem is that the trust has been broken (more than once) and myself. like many of you, now have the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it"

Not that I want Amiga inc to fail or anything, on the contrary, I wish them well and hope they will move us forward. (Hopefully by not screwing OS4 in the process)

Having said all that, we have had to manage without Amiga inc for a while. Those of us fortunate to have a machine capable of running OS4 are very lucky indeed, it is a fine product, in Amiga inc's absence we have coped admirably.

If Amiga inc can pull it off then its excellent news and I will be cheering from the rafters. However, I/We have seen many false dawns with regards to the second coming of Amiga.

So I won't be getting excited just yet.
YNWA!

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »
oh Bill you old toastmaster... I logged in, I'm typing at amiga.org again.

you always knew what to say...

now....let me act on all this news...oh ya, not really anything to do...even my credit card is going to take a pass on this round.

well, see ya'll next year.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 11, 2006, 09:44:48 AM »
Mikey_C:  The problem with Amiga inc, and Bill has acknowledged it, is that they completely ignored us for 2-3 years?

The problem is not having released their main product after almost 7 years.