Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS...  (Read 4487 times)

Description:

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show all replies
Re: OS...
« on: January 25, 2003, 07:55:20 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
X or 10 as I'm told it's supposed to be called runs on a UNIX base. How do people think of this OS? As a bastardised version of UNIX or a clever incorporation of UNIX? Are you happy it was incorporated (about time) or annoyed Apple have started acting like M$ ripping off other peoples inventions?

How much difference is there between UNIX and LINUX?

As I understand it, Mac OS X is basically a blend of BSD and OPENSTEP running on a modified Mach 3 kernel, with a Mac OS skin.

You can read more about the core technologies, here  Truth be told, Mac OS X isn't exactly a rip off.  Long story short, after Jobs left Apple he founded NeXT and created the NeXTStep OS, which later became OPENSTEP.  Apple bought NeXT and Jobs became interim CEO (now permanent?) and Apple integrated OPENSTEP w/ BSDLite 4.4, slapped on Aqua and came out with Mac OS X.

As for the differences between Unix and Linux...  Basically, different kernels.  IIRC, Linux could end up an official flavor of Unix.  An OS only need conform to the POSIX standard in order to be called Unix.

(If I'm in error about POSIX=Unix, please fellow A.org users, correct me)
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show all replies
Re: OS...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 10:01:31 PM »
@DaveP

It's been about three years since I did any in depth research into what makes an OS a flavor of Unix.  I was pretty sure I'd get something wrong.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.