Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Motorola launches new V4e based Coldfires.  (Read 1930 times)

Description:

Offline Oli_hdTopic starter

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
Motorola launches new V4e based Coldfires.
« on: March 02, 2004, 11:44:51 AM »
Its faster, its newer, it looks cooler and its got extra snazzy bits, its the 12 new V4e Coldfires.

Up to 266Mhz and 410 MIPS
133Mhz DDR SD-Ram controller.
MMU and dual precision FPU.
33/66Mhz PCI controller.
USB2.0 and 10/100 Ethernet.
And Hardware-acceleration encryption

For more info visit http://e-www.motorola.com/files/abstract/overview/MCF547XMCF548X.htm

My favorite is the MCF5475

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
Re: Motorola launches new V4e based Coldfires.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 04:07:14 PM »
hmmm? usb and so on inside a coldfire cpu ? :-)
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »
Hi Oliver,

it should be perfect :-)

Should the 388 PBGA package be a problem for your project? a new design, i suppose.

Ciao

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 05:34:05 PM »
and pci controller and ddr-ram controller!
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Xand

• Show only replies by Xand
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 07:58:20 PM »
Usually the USB embedded in one of these multi function chips is a device not a host. Not very useful.
SunBlade 1000 2x1200mhz UltraSparc III+, 8GB RAM, XVR1000, 73GB and 300GB FC drives, DVD, SunPCi IIIpro - 1GB RAM (yes it does work when I set the clock back to 2009), Solaris 10.

Ultra60 2x450MHz UltraSPARC II, 2GB RAM, 9GB U160 and 36GB U320 drives, CDROM

A1200T, 603e-240mhz/040-50mhz SCSI, 256mb, MediatorSX, Voodoo3-3000, Soundblaster 128, 10/100 Ethernet, other stuff OS3.9

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 08:20:41 PM »
Yes, and one VERY important thing you guys are missing ...it has FPU....yeahhhh baby :-D

I wonder if this will be faster than a 603e PPC? 410MIPS... this is RISC and should do more equivalent instructions per cycle. 8-) I'm no hardware guru but I'd love to see a discussion about this, the 266mhz version is probably fast.

Oli, how does the inclusion of this FPU makes it easier to emulate the previous 68k processors? Is it instruction compatible?
If so count me in the list of buyers for sure...
Hell I've been even reading 68k assembler stuff :-D :-D But I'm still planning to learn PPC assembler after...
By the way, how far are you from a final production prototype? (in terms of work not time 8-) )
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 11:49:34 PM »
Hi,

Should the 388 PBGA package be a problem for your project?

It does a bit, I could hand solder the QFP package but, err, its a bit hard when the contacts are under the chip ;-)
Ive spent most of the day reading up on the chips and optimum layouts for PBGA chip designs and have figured it all out, I think. :-)

Its a nice chip.. although Im not sure about the "Hardware-acceleration encryption" bit.

a new design, i suppose.

Yep, but Im sticking with the current prototype for a while yet, its going to be hard to get the new Coldfires for a while...

Usually the USB embedded in one of these multi function chips is a device not a host. Not very useful.

Correct, "The USB module implementation on the MCF547x product family provides all the logic necessary to
process the USB protocol as defined by version 2.0 specification for peripheral devices."  :-(  :-(

Oli, how does the inclusion of this FPU makes it easier to emulate the previous 68k processors? Is it instruction compatible?

The FPU wouldnt help with the 68K emulation, no.
As for the FPU being the same as the one in the 68K, no as well, there is a list of differences which include:
The ColdFire uses 64-bit double-precision and the M68000 family uses 80-bit
extended precision.
Coldfire FPU does not support:
fpGEN d8(An,Xi),FPx
fpGEN xxx.{w,l},FPx
fpGEN d8(PC,Xi),FPx
fpGEN #xxx,FPx
fmovem (Ay)+,#list
fmovem #list,-(Ax)
fmovem FP Control Registers
Its all in the MCF5475RM.pdf doc.

By the way, how far are you from a final production prototype? (in terms of work not time  )

Moving on...  :-P
Under half way.. but the last half will be the quicker bit :-)
sorry its taking so long, its only a part time thing you see :-(

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 10:00:32 AM »
@oli:
"The USB module implementation on the MCF547x product family provides all the logic necessary to
process the USB protocol as defined by version 2.0 specification for peripheral devices."

would it be useful to reflash your card if you don't want to reflash smd chips with other methods...

Would it be possible to launch an app similar to Oxypatcher that patches 68k programs to use Coldfire instructions?
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 12:18:08 PM »
Hi,

Would it be possible to launch an app similar to Oxypatcher that patches 68k programs to use Coldfire instructions?

No as Oxypatcher type programs needs the CPU to load the OS first, and the Coldfire cant, I would have to get a Coldfire native kickstart to do that (Either get a licenece to port KS3.1 or use Aros... Mmmmm)
The way Im doign it is to have a flash chip on the board which the Coldfire looks to first, that loads the patcher and then looks for the kickstart.

would it be useful to reflash your card if you don't want to reflash smd chips with other methods...

well a socketed PLCC chip could be used but I think you would have more chance of installing the chip wrong than the flashing going wrong on a SM chip.
If something happens when you are reflashing the SM flash chips you can always send them off to be reflashed, that woudlnt be hard at all, I think that would be a better thing than getting the user to change the flash chip or something.

Offline SKAN

• Show only replies by SKAN
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 12:40:24 PM »
"The ColdFire uses 64-bit double-precision and the M68000 family uses 80-bit extended precision."

So you cannot emulate missing instructions through a sort of "OxypatcherNG" when it comes to FPU usage? I think you can't use FPU apps (raytracers, demos...). No difference between V4e and a simple V4 if you use 68k OS3.X?
[...emulation is for sissies...]

Offline SKAN

• Show only replies by SKAN
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 08:42:52 AM »
Hey Oliver! Can you please answer my previous post/question? I'd like to know...
[...emulation is for sissies...]