Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Update on AmigaOne A1222  (Read 22679 times)

Description:

Offline duga

Re: Update on AmigaOne A1222
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
It's called Windows 10.

Offline duga

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »
Quote from: asymetrix;816939
Nice progress report.

I hope Amiga UI/GUI improves drastically - I shudder the current look as it just looks 'old'.

Hope to see GUI like FLAT/metro style with advanced functions like Autodesk Sketchbook :

It's called Windows 10.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »
@nyteschayde

Agreed the flat style has no personality or pop at all and seems designed for tablets!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »
Personally I like the flat design, to me, it's much easier to the eyes and does not take focus from program functionality..
But for those who does not like the flat design, it's good that there are different skins :)

Offline tenleftfingers

• Show only replies by tenleftfingers
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »
The screenshots in the initial post are of the Ubuntu MATE linux distribution (edit: or the MATE desktop ported to something else), so I wouldn't worry about that being the final UI.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:36:23 PM by TenLeftFingers »

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 02:34:41 AM »
Cool congratulations. This is the most important board in a while for NG due to affordablitiy. Guys have patience it takes FOREVER to write drivers for alien hardware. (which is why i talk about Project Moana all the time)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 03:18:11 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;817220
Cool congratulations. This is the most important board in a while for NG due to affordablitiy. Guys have patience it takes FOREVER to write drivers for alien hardware. (which is why i talk about Project Moana all the time)
oh, wait....what?? project Moana the movie?

Offline kamelito

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
I like flat black theme :)

Kamelito

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;817231
I like flat black theme :)

Kamelito

Why? Flat themes are one of my major objections to Windows 10 (along with the continuing downgrade of the Start menu).
I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Professional (and just retired a machine the required Vista - again I used Ultimate - yeah that Windows variant, which after much upgrading finally worked pretty much like Win7).

Frankly, I find the themes in Vista more pleasing to the eye, and Win7 is a great mid-point between problematic Win Vista, and the really sucky Win8/8.1.
Kind of the upgrade to WinXp that should have been introduced in the first place and one of the best looking and functioning Windows variants.

Win 10 can be annoying with its flat look. It took me a few minutes just to work out the changes in the appearance of Calculator so that I could cut and paste to that.

The opinion that flat themes prevent distraction from program content is just that, an opinion.

A good looking desktop involves all elements, and I just find flat themes far to stark and ugly.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline BCP

• Show only replies by BCP
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
@Iggy
Thoroughly agree about "flat" look. Asthetically, Windows Vista is the best looking version of Windows.  Mac OS has also gone away from the 3 dimensional look that it had up to Mavericks in favor of the "flat" look of ios devices which I don't like for real computers.  Hopefully Amiga OS4.2 will not copy Windows & Mac OS in this regard.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:10:38 PM by BCP »

Offline bison

• Show only replies by bison
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
Quote from: BCP;817292
@Iggy
Asthetically, Windows Vista is the best looking version of Windopws.

I think the same.  This is all subjective and a matter of taste, but IMO Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 are quite ugly.  I can see some of the appeal of the flat look, but I think even recent versions of mac OS have taken this too far (the close/minimize/zoom icons, for example).  I prefer subtle gradients, highlights, and shadows.

Amiga OS 4.x is maybe too close to Windows XP, but all they have to do is dial that back just a bit and not go entirely flat.  It still looks pretty good, considering how long it's been out there without visual change.
"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »
Quote from: bison;817297
I think the same.  This is all subjective and a matter of taste, but IMO Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 are quite ugly.  I can see some of the appeal of the flat look, but I think even recent versions of mac OS have taken this too far (the close/minimize/zoom icons, for example).  I prefer subtle gradients, highlights, and shadows.

Amiga OS 4.x is maybe too close to Windows XP, but all they have to do is dial that back just a bit and not go entirely flat.  It still looks pretty good, considering how long it's been out there without visual change.

I like the clean look of BeOS.  and Haiku too.  Too bad BeOS failed and Haiku seems to not get past Alpha stages.

Amiga OS is decent but could use a little spicing up.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline BCP

• Show only replies by BCP
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »
@Bison
At least with OS4.1 you can go into GUI Preferences & change the appearances (3D, ZEN or FLAT) which is more than you can with Windows or Mac OS.

Offline bison

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;817300
I like the clean look of BeOS.  and Haiku too.  Too bad BeOS failed and Haiku seems to not get past Alpha stages.

Amiga OS is decent but could use a little spicing up.

TJ

Yes, I just looked at the screenshot of Haiku on Wikipedia, and it is very clean and modern, without being too flat.  I'm not sure if Haiku is an exact pixel-by-pixel reproduction of the BeOS interface, but it doesn't look out of place among more modern UIs.  BeOS was ahead of it's time, maybe a little to far to be successful.  It reminds me of Amiga in that respect.

Offline bison

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
Quote from: BCP;817302
@Bison
At least with OS4.1 you can go into GUI Preferences & change the appearances (3D, ZEN or FLAT) which is more than you can with Windows or Mac OS.

What does ZEN look like?  I googled around, but couldn't find anything.

I've debated buying a copy of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and running it on FS-UAE, but at this point I'm holding out for an A1222.  Which brings this thread back on topic. :)

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 07, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
Quote from: bison;817304
What does ZEN look like?  I googled around, but couldn't find anything.

I've debated buying a copy of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and running it on FS-UAE, but at this point I'm holding out for an A1222.  Which brings this thread back on topic. :)

If you're curious and want to "preview" 4.1, it's very cheap to buy and try it under emulation before you decide whether it's worth buying actual hardware for. I'm running it in WinUAE, and it's surprisingly capable, especially with the UAE display driver. Not enough RAM and speed for heavy websites and apps, and no 3D acceleration of course, but you get a good "feel" for it.

Still a bit interested in the A1222, though my interest is kind of dropping off the longer it takes.