Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best Things Come In Small Packages  (Read 16266 times)

Description:

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
Re: The Best Things Come In Small Packages
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 23, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
Quote from: Duce;684900
Middleman: Enthusiasm is just super. If you enjoy their products, honestly - nothing makes me happier. You are obviously an intelligent fellow, so let me break it down to just common sense.

Now please explain to me how a 120 watt power supply unit is going to power well over 250 watts of gear in that new machine, min specs? Are you starting to see why people get down the necks of the C-USA Bible Thumpers around here when simple facts are ignored?

Simple logic. Use it. The Amiga Mini is not a "start". A 2700k all kitted out won't run off that PSU. Period. I know this well, just having built a new gaming PC with similar specs. I put a 1000 watt PSU in this machine for safe measure. It's not even functional if the PSU specs are correct. Anyone that's ever read a "Computers for Dummies" book will tell you that. I've used cases with the same Pico PSU's. I had my SAM in one. I found it weak for my tastes for my SAM 440, with one hard disk and one optical drive.

The CPU uses NINETY FIVE WATTS (+) of ONE HUNDRED TWENTY WATTS offered by the PSU. The hard disks, optical drives, fans, wifi addons, etc do not run on warm feelings and best intentions.

Duce,

Please take this the right way, because I agree with you 100%

But, 95 Watt TPD is how much heat it produces, not how much electricity.  The i7 2700k actually uses way more than 95 watts at peak, so your point is twice as valid.

Middleman-

They have been talking about releasing the Amiga Mini in "about a week" for two months now.  All that we got new 2 days ago was slightly retouched photoshopped images.

In the last 2 months couldn't they have made one and tried it out?

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Quote from: Duce;684912
I know, Optimus. I'm well aware of the confusions of TDP and what they actually mean, was just citing raw numbers from Intel spec sheets to illustrate some provable data.

I should also note that the case manufacturer recommends a 65 watt TPD CPU, citing the lack of space for a proper heatsink for a 95+ watt CPU.  So, unless they are using a low profile server heatsink that sounds like a jet engine, it's a fail in that area is well.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
Well I take *some* of what I said back.  They did post a picture of the back, so we know they at least have the motherboard.  I still contend they have not tested it, because it simply cannot work.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
Now Barry has announced an Official Reseller program, selling the barebones cases in lots of 10. Conversation overheard at CUSA headquarters:

Leo: "The website still shows zero sales of the Amiga Mini, even after lowering the price"
Barry:""F*ck. I can't just double or triple the price of the components and have people buy them?"
Leo: "No Sir, it appears people are indeed capable of simple math. And, now that I read Amiga.org and Amigaworld.net, it looks like our configuration will never work."
Barry:"F*ck. Did we sell any barebones units?"
Leo: "Yes, a few, I think my mad photoshop skills fooled them"
Barry:"Excellent, so we can sell those for triple our cost!!! Let's sell these cases to someone else and pass off making it work and support to them. Hell, we can even pass off COS support to them."
Leo: "Yes Sir!!!"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:45:12 PM by Optimus »

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;684933
So whoever called this as a reseller scam, give yourself a pat on the back. Then have a good laugh at Barry for thinking anyone will be dumb enough to fall for it.

I'm a little surprised.  Barry went on rant one time on his forum that he was not interested in selling barebones units, that they were only a tiny percentage of sales and that he only did so as a service to the community.

Clearly that's a bunch of BS.  If he can't sell them for $2500 and make a mound of profit, he's out.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 06:49:25 PM »
Barry personally requested this story be posted to Amiga.org AW.net on a thread entitled "Walt Mossberg loves the new Amiga Mini", so I'm going to ablige him:

http://allthingsd.com/20120321/forget-the-ultrabook-go-with-the-new-commodore/

When someone pointed out that the story is largely tonge-in-cheek, he deleted their post and locked the thread.  I should also point out, it doesn't seem to be written by Walt at all.

I love the CUSA forum.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;684962

and then I wrote C=USA a sales pitch (and I want to get paid for it if they use it):

:D

Brilliant.  One thing that Barry is adding to the pitch is the "priceless" link on their webpage to official dealers.  :crazy:

I think it's been demonstrated that someone can build the Amiga Mini to the sames specs as them but at a fraction of the price.  All you would need to do is undercut CUSA enough to draw customers away from buying from CUSA, then Viloa, CUSA is in the case making buisness exclusively.  Let's face it, the C64x case is two pieces of plastic and a keyboard, at $350 it's a cash cow.  The Amiga Mini case is for sure as high a profit as well.

Offline Optimus

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
Quote from: vexar;685317
Hey everyone!
I am that retard, apparently. Or nearly so!

It is refreshing to know that some users never change. So, two things:
1. I was willing to buy the system at $2500 USD
2. I am concerned about the power supply discussion

My post on the Commodore-amiga.org forum (based on what I learned from this thread on amiga.org) yielded this discussion:
http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/33-hardware-support/13746-amiga-mini-power-supply-gpu

I halted my purchase because half of my original post was not touched.

Wow, one person was willing to buy the Amiga Mini!

Just in the nick of time, they managed to lose the sale by ducking a legitimate question.

:roflmao:

@Dammy I'd sell your stock in CUSA

@vexar Don't feel to bad, they can't answer your question, because they haven't made one yet. Your only fortunate they didn't delete your post for daring to challenge them. Xerxes is probably facing a ban from the site for his heracy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:54:42 PM by Optimus »