Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3  (Read 19696 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
Re: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3
« Reply #149 from previous page: August 30, 2011, 04:01:46 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;656859
AROS currently stomps all over ANY of the Amiga variants out there.... in all areas, graphics, CPU performance, price, etc...

but can it run AMIGA (RTG friendly) software such as TVPaint?

That is like stating a CAR stomps all over ANY BOAT because it has a higher top speed.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
AmigaOS4.1 Update 3 booting on AmigaOne X1000

I watched the video. That was a truly very impressive bootup. Probably one of the best bootups I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few! (I owned a prototype Olivetti ARC BIOS MIPS machine)

I would compare it to watching the space shuttle launch. Not exactly fast, but powerful and awe-inspiring.

Some people might claim that the part with the status bar and esoteric text message is too drawn out, but I'd argue it adds to the suspense and overall experience. "Good things come to those who wait..."

Do you think you could make the video output start shaking when the status bar gets to about 80%? The shaking should become increasingly more pronounced while progress proceeds to 99% then just dramatically stops to reveal a crystal-clear non-interlaced high resolution desktop.

Anyway, that would totally be enough to separate me from a bunch of my Social Security checks when this puppy comes out. Hopefully both I and the Social Security program live long enough for that to happen. Will there be an AARP discount for the x1000?

I can only hope that future videos give us a sneak peek at the real techie stuff like shutdown and reboot and that the Morphos crew (of pirates) does not appropriate (steal) any of this stuff.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:09:34 AM by bbond007 »

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2011, 05:52:10 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;656866

I would compare it to watching the space shuttle launch. Not exactly fast, but powerful and awe-inspiring.

I think there is a job for you at apple!. Although you didn't mention how intimate it was too.

I don't get as much excitement as you from booting a computer really. although I guess there was some enjoyment from

READY>

as well as

@ 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd (nice font!)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;656835
Hey I wish them the best,

Hypocrite!

In an earlier post you stated, in reference to the X1000:

"but considering how much this thing will be crashing"

An unfounded statement that you cannot have any evidence to back up as the damn machine isn't out yet, and now you say you wish them the best :/

Either your making unfounded statements about reliability or you wish them the best, you can't have it both ways.

As for Aros, I'll be installing that to my netbook once I pick up a new usb stick. I have no problem with any of the Amiga flavors of OS or hardware and truly do wish them all success. I just don't feel the need to make false and presumed statements about the ones I don't use, you clearly do.

If you find the cost of the X1000 too much or it doesn't interest you, why bother commenting? This is (or at least was) a news item thread to pass on a progress report to those who are interested. I don't understand why you would even bother reading a thread about something your not interested in, unless of course you are interested and in denial. If your not in denial then I must take it that your genuinely not interested in the X1000. This is what you would have us believe yes? Of course that's the case, no interest at all, you've made that point perfectly clear, so something else about this thread must interest you then........

....I wonder what that might be. Perhaps you just like to wind up people who are interested. Well that would make you a troll as well as a hypocrite wouldn't it. If that was the case, of course... ..I'm sure another explanation must exist, please.... .do enlighten us.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
It seems there's nothing like OS4 or X1000 related news to really bring out some people's unforgiving streaks, eh?

Personally, I hope the venture is a success. It takes a lot of effort and money to design hardware from scratch and Trevor Dick is a decent bloke.

And before I get labelled the red camp fanboy here, the same sentiments extend to MorphOS, AROS, AROS 68K, NatAmi, FPGAArcade and whatever other hardware and software projects people are working on.

I find it such a pity people still have to be so monotonously partisan after all these years. Really, sometimes sitting on the fence is the best way. You get to see both fields and don't have to worry about standing in any cow pats :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2011, 09:09:04 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;656859

It's laughable.....if you disagree with the X1000 fanboys, they immediately label you a troll....no facts, nothing objective......just a lot of BS about how they love the X1000 and that it's so wonderful and that we're not giving Hyperion and AEON a chance......oh please....

And I'm so hurt to be on dreamcast270mhz's ignore list.....NOT.

You've missed the point haven't you. Either this news item is of interest to you (hence, read thread) or it is not (do not read the thread). To read the thread AND comment on it in a negative way, whist claiming no interest at all in the subject (in this case the X1000) clearly makes you a troll. How the hell can you not see that.

Ah, of course you can, you would have to be an idiot not to, and I presume your not an idiot so you must be a troll.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »
Your right I made assumptions about how much it will crash based on my own personal experience with amigaone hardware and os4 crashing alot. If it crashed so much on hardware thats been around for so long, I have no confidence in it running any better on brand new hardware.

I can wish them the best but still have an opinion. All you AOS fanboys are funny. I'm stating facts when I say 3.4ghz intel chip smokes a 2ghz powerpc chip in any test or benchmark you can throw at it. Try it, I HAVE and I know I'm right.

I'm stating facts when I say you can buy a 3.4ghz intel pc for 50 bucks on ebay that smokes any 2ghz powerpc based system that costs ALOT more, especially when you put a 50$ system against a 2500$ x1000.

You can argue anything you like, but you can not dispute these facts. They are inconvienant facts if you are a fan boy, but they are facts still.

I know why some amiga people believe cpu speed is not the end all determiner of a systems speed/usefulness its because of classic amigas with their tightly integrated hardware/software and custom chips. I remember myself my amiga 500 with stock 8mhz 68000 running rings around 486 computers of the time. Unfortunately, **** just isn't like that anymore. The custom chips are gone, Tight hardware/software integration and talking directly to the hardware is gone too so CPU speed really is the most important thing now.

Steven

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
Well first of all, what a ridiculous assumption you made. The OS may still be OS4 but the hardware is made by a totally different company. Your assumption is like saying "Vista doesn't work on my Advent PC so I don't see why it would work on my Dell PC". A clearly insane statement.

As for wishing them the best and having an opinion, fine, just be more wary of stating opinion as fact or you'll get people like me jumping all over your comments.

For the record, I'm not an AOS fanboy, I've stated many times that I have interest in all Amiga flavors (including Aros) and I'm most definitely not "funny", I consider "funny" as a personal insult, I'm British dammit, we don't do "funny"!

Now about the speed thing...... er...what exactly are you doing on Amiga that requires such speed? The simple fact of the matter is that many new computers (and I include ipad, netbooks and all) are not particularly fast. Most computing just doesn't need a top speed CPU. Gaming and 3d rendering has traditionally been the drive for faster CPUs in home systems but even this now falls to dedicated GPUs. Stop banging the same old drum, it not as meaningful as your making out.

Don't misunderstand me on this, I don't agree with all that Hyperion has done but I'm not in the position they are. I have my own opinion on what I would like to see on an NG Amiga, (it's not x86 either),but this thread however, is not the place to discuss it.

Offline Templario

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
Every day is more near the X1000, first  the new DvPlayer version now the Update3. Very near.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;656885
Your right I made assumptions about how much it will crash based on my own personal experience with amigaone hardware and os4 crashing alot. If it crashed so much on hardware thats been around for so long, I have no confidence in it running any better on brand new hardware.

I can wish them the best but still have an opinion. All you AOS fanboys are funny. I'm stating facts when I say 3.4ghz intel chip smokes a 2ghz powerpc chip in any test or benchmark you can throw at it. Try it, I HAVE and I know I'm right.

I'm stating facts when I say you can buy a 3.4ghz intel pc for 50 bucks on ebay that smokes any 2ghz powerpc based system that costs ALOT more, especially when you put a 50$ system against a 2500$ x1000.

You can argue anything you like, but you can not dispute these facts. They are inconvienant facts if you are a fan boy, but they are facts still.

I know why some amiga people believe cpu speed is not the end all determiner of a systems speed/usefulness its because of classic amigas with their tightly integrated hardware/software and custom chips. I remember myself my amiga 500 with stock 8mhz 68000 running rings around 486 computers of the time. Unfortunately, **** just isn't like that anymore. The custom chips are gone, Tight hardware/software integration and talking directly to the hardware is gone too so CPU speed really is the most important thing now.

Steven

Here's another fact for you Steven.  Your $50 PC doesn't run OS4.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
Your right and I don't care that it dosn't. AROS is fine for me.

Steven

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;656901
Here's another fact for you Steven.  Your $50 PC doesn't run OS4.

Another advantage!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;656888
Most computing just doesn't need a top speed CPU.

I agree. I would happily use MorphOS on this one (the first one of course, not the second! ;))

On par with a Sam440. And this $129 complete system is absolutely worth its price. Add to those benchmarks the fact that it has a NEON SIMD (think Altivec) and various on-chip HW accelerators to speed up things like media encoding/decoding, and that Floating Point is actually handled by HW soon (an ARM Linux limitation until recently).

This proves that low performing Sam/EfikaMX class HW doesn't have to be expensive, yet it will "fly" with an Amigaoid OS. Looking forward to see AROS on that one. :)

what exactly are you doing on Amiga that requires such speed?

Heavy media files (movies) comes to mind. But the first option in the comparison above will handle this with the apropriate drivers. And then at least I have 99% of my needs covered, by a $129, low performance computer! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
No doubt the EfikaMX is a great board, I would love one, maybe I'll buy one. I would love to see MorphOS and Aros both running on the SAM and X1000 too, choice is a good thing.

Now however you've gone and forced me to reveal a little about what I think Hyperion should have done. That's have a good long chat with Genesi.....

...oh well, such is life.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;656908
No doubt the EfikaMX is a great board, I would love one, maybe I'll buy one. I would love to see MorphOS and Aros both running on the SAM and X1000 too, choice is a good thing.

Now however you've gone and forced me to reveal a little about what I think Hyperion should have done. That's have a good long chat with Genesi.....

...oh well, such is life.

ARM has its brightest future ahead.

PPC left its behind.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
If you exclude games consoles, and you shouldn't as they are very popular computer platforms. Granted they are very optimized for a specific purpose but mass chip sales still drives down prices whatever box they come in, console or otherwise. PowerPC is far from dead.