Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS for Sam460  (Read 28416 times)

Description:

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
Re: MorphOS for Sam460
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 03, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »
Quote from: persia;717263
And that would be different to now?

Apart from updates to OS4, what other support do you think they should be providing?

The above comment is not just directed at Persia but at all those who keep making absurd digs about Hyperion not supporting SAM boards.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Quote from: Rob;717279
It's really weak and benches around the same as a Permedia 2 on an A1200 in GFXBench2D.
Shouldn't the R200 driver work out of the box anyway.  Despite that I think it makes sense to support the lowest common denominator since not every Sam460 owner will have an R200 card.

The SM502 does have 2D acceleration though, which I doubt is being used here? :confused:

It also have true overlay support! :p ;) :lol:

:)

This is a very early alpha and could be some time before a release by which time MorphOS might well be supporting cards cards newer than R300 anyway.

I'd chose a fully supported R200/R300 card (2D, 3D, overlay) any day over a RadeonHD with only 2D though. :lol: And I also rather have those features *now* on a R200/R300, than having to wait for them to be released at some unknown point in the future (can take years for all we know).

The 3D in R200/R300 is kind of more than enough for the SW we have (and can hope for as well) and MorphOS drivers are really fast on this front, VRAM is enough on most cards, and most cards happily displays all resolutions most normal people would ever need. All in all, it's good enough. And I'm looking forward to see the R300 fully developed.

Putting a Radeon HD into something like a Sam 460 is like squeezing in a Ferrari engine in an old Trabant; you wouldn't be able to go very fast anyway. Faster, yes, but very far from the engines full capability. The Ferrari engine may be modern and high performing, but the old Trabby certainly isn't and wouldn't be able to cope. IMHO of course.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;717287
Apart from updates to OS4, what other support do you think they should be providing?

The above comment is not just directed at Persia but at all those who keep making absurd digs about Hyperion not supporting SAM boards.

Drivers (that may also be improved over time) for the on-board HW features of the hardware in question, of course, since this is what makes the OS run on that HW! This is what "supporting HW" usually means in an OS.

;)

Offline Rob

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Why are you trying to turn this into some sort of points scoring exercise?

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717292
Drivers (that may also be improved over time) for the on-board HW features of the hardware in question, of course, since this is what makes the OS run on that HW! This is what "supporting HW" usually means in an OS.

;)

And MorphOS doesn't support all the features of the macs it runs on either, powerbooks and emacs being the case in point. I wouldn't say they are not supporting the hardware, these are small companies and things take time. Welcome to the reality of niche computing.

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;717304
And MorphOS doesn't support all the features of the macs it runs on either, powerbooks and emacs being the case in point. I wouldn't say they are not supporting the hardware, these are small companies and things take time. Welcome to the reality of niche computing.

:confused:

What did that have to do with the discussion coming from Everblue's/Dammy's/Persia's posts? If you think they were talking about some unsupported controller on some motherboard, then you blatantly failed to understand. Here is an easier example for you then: If Acube would write OS4 drivers for Mac Mini (which they did, I have "Moana" here on my HDD), would that be the same thing as Hyperion supporting Mac Mini? Do you understand their point now?

;)

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717292

;)

Sorta like supporting built-in wifi with drivers. :roflmao:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
Talking to religionists is waste of time. Better spend energy somewhere else.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
So, any chance of seeing MorphOS 3.x for classic?
int p; // A

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;717346
So, any chance of seeing MorphOS 3.x for classic?

No.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717334

What did that have to do with the discussion coming from Everblue's/Dammy's/Persia's posts? If you think they were talking about some unsupported controller on some motherboard, then you blatantly failed to understand. Here is an easier example for you then: If Acube would write OS4 drivers for Mac Mini (which they did, I have "Moana" here on my HDD), would that be the same thing as Hyperion supporting Mac Mini? Do you understand their point now?

;)

Can you dumb it down a bit more? Thanks.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:56 AM »
@itix

is this effort being worked on by a single individual, or the entire team?  at what point can SAM owners expect to know what on-board hardware will be supported, such as audio via the SM502?  are there any plans to eventually support newer radeon HD video cards, or will R200-series cards be the main focus in the immediate future?

very much looking forward to seeing MOS on the SAM460ex!

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;717334

;)

That would depend on the reasoning behind it. Strategic partnership too much of an effort to comprehend? Any driver written by Acube for OS4 is part of a strategic partnership from both companies, Acube wouldn't be writing jack for OS4 without the deal with Hyperion in the first place.

BTW, This isn't the first time you've made the effort to be blatantly insulting to me. Maybe I said something offensive to you in the past, if so, please let me know so we can resolve it. I am getting just a bit sick of the attitude I get whenever I reply to one of your posts and if there is any actual reason for it I would rather deal with it. If not, well....  ¯\(°_o)/¯   ....maybe therapy!?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Quote from: pampers;717352
No.

Well, I realise that's up to the team, but IMHO it's a shame.
int p; // A

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;717466
Well, I realise that's up to the team, but IMHO it's a shame.

what MorphOS 1.4 30 minute limited not good enough for you karlos :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »
Quote from: JJ;717474
what MorphOS 1.4 30 minute limited not good enough for you karlos :)

1.4.5 for classic is limited to 2 hours without keyfile, not 30 minutes.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)