Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS: OWB version 1.12 released!  (Read 5293 times)

Description:

Offline Fab

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS: OWB version 1.12 released!
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;620211

The common part is more than just WebKit. WebKit doesn´t even include a Javascript engine IIRC. But things like bookmarks, windows, filemanagement, etc. are certainly not part of the OWB-base.

WebKit comes with its own javascript engine (javascriptcore), and chrome uses another engine (v8).

In practice, the essential of the code of OWB (be it for OS4 or MorphOS) is in WebKit itself, except for:
- Lower layers that need platform dependant implementation (memory, threads, network, ...).
- The upper layer that actually makes a browser from the webkit engine, i.e the GUI and all the intermediate logic, and this part is totally different between the OWB ports, Safari, Chrome and so on.

And the original OWB from sandlabs/pleyo is nothing else than a SDL backend for gfx/events, a different build system and a reorganization of the platform-dependant files. The SDL implementation was obviously dropped to get something usable and "fast". And since OWB project is dead, i synchronize webkit myself.
So in practice, i almost don't have anything from the original OWB project anymore, since WebKit is a very active project where lots of things change very frequently (including build system).