Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS: OWB version 1.12 released!  (Read 5230 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
MorphOS: OWB version 1.12 released!
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:10:30 PM »
Fabien Coeurjoly has released a new version of his excellent web browser! :)

- 04.03.2011: OWB 1.12

- Updated to WebKit r80266 (March 2011).
- Added support for "private browsing". To enable it (on a per-tab basis),
enable "private browsing" in Settings menu. Once activated, private browsing
will disable any kind of data storage (history/cookies/favicons/sessions/...).
Private browsing is inherited for any page created from a page in private browsing mode.
- Implemented per-URL settings (for plugins/images/javascript/useragent options).
For instance, it could be used so that a given site is accessed under IPad
user agent with plugin (Flash) disabled.
- Improved UTF8/local charset support for clipboard. When copying, UTF8 and local strings
are copied in two different chunks, which allows legacy applications to retrieve local
charset string, while OWB (and possibly other applications) make use of the UTF8 chunk.
- Added a clipboard monitor to address an issue with DHTML copy. After a rich-text copy,
paste would always reuse that content, even if system clipboard had been modified (externally or
not) in the meanwhile. This clipboard monitor allows to reset DHTML clipboard as soon as a
regular system clipboard copy has been performed.
- Added a "mark all matches" option in text find function.
- The bookmark class is not limited anymore to one level of depth. Please note that Intuition
menus also have this limitation, though. So if you plan to display subfolders in menu as well,
they'll be flattened, unless you use MUI menus instead of Intuition menus.
- Tweaked mediaplayer to work again with spiegel.de HTML5 videos.
- Fixed mediaplayer autoplay that got broken in some cases.
- Fixed an endianess bug in WebKit shadow effect that prevented them from being shown.
- Adjusted font backend to show font-weight:semi-bold as bold instead of showing it as normal
text (cairo/freetype backend only supports normal/bold levels).
- Fixed an issue with per-tab settings being reset by WebKit after a new tab creation.
- Fixed some possible crash with select items that were deleted from DOM at selection change.
- Fixed youtube.js userscript for recent YouTube changes (in fact, it could already work,
with the alternative link method that could be selected in youtube.js preferences).
- Changed about: and error pages (contribution from Samir Hawamdeh).

Download it from here: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline nicholas

Re: MorphOS: OWB version 1.12 released!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
What MorphOS specific features does it rely on?

Just MUI4 classes that aren't available on MUI3.x/Zune, or is there more to it that prevents a quick recompile?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:49:43 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;620001
What MorphOS specific features does it rely on?

Just MUI4 classes that aren't available on MUI3.x/Zune, or is there more to it that prevents a quick recompile?
Some thoughts from kas1e doing the OS4 port:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=32847&forum=32&start=400&viewmode=flat&order=0#601533

It certainly isn't impossible to port it to MUI 3.8 but it would certainly require a LOT of rewriting (more than the OS4 version). AROS Zune version would require Zune to advance quite a bit.

You can most certainly forget "quick recompile".

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
Quote from: Piru;620003
Some thoughts from kas1e doing the OS4 port:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=32847&forum=32&start=400&viewmode=flat&order=0#601533

It certainly isn't impossible to port it to MUI 3.8 but it would certainly require a LOT of rewriting (more than the OS4 version). AROS Zune version would require Zune to advance quite a bit.

There's more chance of Stefan open-sourcing MUI4 than Zune catching up to it any time soon. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline amigakit

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »
Good work!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline eb15

• Show only replies by eb15
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;620007
There's more chance of Stefan open-sourcing MUI4 than Zune catching up to it any time soon. ;)

Oh is that the secret project?  :kitty:

If so, I guess I can take debugging and updating Zune off my AROS todo list...

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:23:04 AM »
FABulous as usual!

How about the name change???"
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline kolla

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »
Quote from: Piru;620003

You certainly love the word "certainly" :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 05:16:46 AM »
opensourcing mui4? it is "certainly" some joke?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:32 AM »
Quote from: kolla;620109
You certainly love the word "certainly" :)

I most cer..definitely do.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;620129
opensourcing mui4? it is "certainly" some joke?

Well you don´t have to open source code to get it ported/used. If the MUI4-source was licensed to somebody like Grasshopper LLC, who could then sell eg. Pagestream bundled with (their own port of?) mui4 for AmigaOS4 it could also make it´s way onto the platform.

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;620107
FABulous as usual!

I can only agree!

Fab's "OWB" is the best thing that happened to anything *miga in a long time (like since the release of MorphOS 2.0 or so ;) :p). I think the lack of a *real* browser previously was a major reason to why people booted into other OS's (like Windows); to do some plain web surfing that the Amiga simply couldn't handle.

This is absolutely not true anymore. What Fab has brought us is a *real* browser, *very* feature complete, that even handles CSS 3 better than Internet Explorer does today (even though IE9 will improve in this area)! :)

How about the name change???"

Very much needed, since some people are really confused. This is only one example (but the most recent):

"let my state out that i dont have anything agenst owb on os 4,1 i have itm i use it.
i love it.
but morphos versions of software doesnt run on os 4.1 as fare as i remember there stopped make owb for os 4.x and still make owb for morphos with make it a news for morphos,
wasnt ther talk about that the morphos version clould run youtube and that the coder didnt want to do an os 4,x port"

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33308&forum=28#604168

...and...

"some times i do live under an rock.
i didnt think that owb for morphos would have any relation to os 4.x version.
i call timberwolf the final solution becuse its the most coverd full scale browser that will bring amiga standart up agen.
i dont understand it ether the morphos os like 1.? and os 4.x is 3.X but morphos version is still an better solution then the os 4.x ver, is."

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33308&forum=28&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0#604206

The guy is obviously confused, because of the name (i.e. same name but different version numbers, etc).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest (only?) similarity between OS4 OWB and Fab's browser today, would be the use of the underlying webkit engine? But they are absolutely not the same browser, they're not even in the same league!

So a new name is desperately needed, IMHO!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
I stil vote some variation on "glöyn byw" or "pili pala"
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;620199
they're not even in the same league!

Let´s say they have a different focus. Joerg Strohmayers OWB is just a browser. Its as bare bones as it gets - no bells, no whistles, while FABs OWB has many more features and keeps adding to them. But AFAIK they are pretty much the same when it comes to how the websites look.

The common part is more than just WebKit. WebKit doesn´t even include a Javascript engine IIRC. But things like bookmarks, windows, filemanagement, etc. are certainly not part of the OWB-base.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;620211

The common part is more than just WebKit. WebKit doesn´t even include a Javascript engine IIRC. But things like bookmarks, windows, filemanagement, etc. are certainly not part of the OWB-base.

WebKit comes with its own javascript engine (javascriptcore), and chrome uses another engine (v8).

In practice, the essential of the code of OWB (be it for OS4 or MorphOS) is in WebKit itself, except for:
- Lower layers that need platform dependant implementation (memory, threads, network, ...).
- The upper layer that actually makes a browser from the webkit engine, i.e the GUI and all the intermediate logic, and this part is totally different between the OWB ports, Safari, Chrome and so on.

And the original OWB from sandlabs/pleyo is nothing else than a SDL backend for gfx/events, a different build system and a reorganization of the platform-dependant files. The SDL implementation was obviously dropped to get something usable and "fast". And since OWB project is dead, i synchronize webkit myself.
So in practice, i almost don't have anything from the original OWB project anymore, since WebKit is a very active project where lots of things change very frequently (including build system).