Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS SMP Research: Technical Discussion  (Read 11334 times)

Description:

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
Re: AROS SMP Research: Technical Discussion
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
@Ezrec
Congratulation! Great effort! You have already proved some people wrong with your experiments.

How are you handling the ENABLE/DISABLE FORBID/PERMIT macros (ables.i) that increment and decrement the ExecBase IDNestCnt and TDNestCnt?  

Quote from: minator;745861
It's interesting that this is being tried but I suspect it will never get past the experimental phase.

Even if it can be made to work, it's going to serialise the CPUs so much that that's no point having multiple CPUs.

It might be possible to show a nice speedup on some long running highly parallelisable benchmark but that's it.  In any real system apps will be constantly stalling the system and you don't need to be Gene Amdahl to know what the result will be.

The performance of most current SMP processors would be limited by limitations of the AmigaOS. However, specialized hardware (and fpga-ware whatever you want to call it) could drastically reduce this overhead and increase compatibility. ExecBase could be setup in a particular area of memory with certain addresses that are monitored for changes and trigger some fpga programming action that affects all cores. Some of the multi-tasking and multi-core handling could even move into hardware (fpga code). Think of the Fido processor (68k) with it's semi-hardware handling of multi-tasking (it has a per task time slice countdown value with auto hardware interrupt when the time is up) being upgraded to SMP. It would be a little bit complex in hardware but then could offer the advantage of more protection of SMP and multi-tasking from errant and malicious software. Add partial memory protection with an MMU and virtual addressing for >4MB memory support (each task would be limited to 2MB or so) and the Amiga with 68k might be competitive again (with an ASIC). Gunnar von Boehn would like to make a multi-core version of the 68k Apollo processor. Duplicating the cores in fpga is very simple. The rest is just giving Jason what he needs provided his ideas do not have flaws ;).

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:00:58 AM »
Quote from: matthey;745867
@Ezrec
You have already proved some people wrong with your experiments.

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;745909
How so?

Some people said you can't rocket to the moon and walk on it. They were proved wrong when it was accomplished by Neil Armstrong. Some people said that SMP couldn't be done with AmigaOS. Jason McMullan walked on the moon. It may be one small step but it's one giant leap for Amiga-kind ;).

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:26:36 AM »
Quote from: NorthWay;745955
I seem to remember some _old_tool that counted OS calls of your choice.
(When I say old I am thinking Fred Fish age.)

Quote from: wawrzon;745965
wait a minute. couldnt you come up with what it was? there is tremendous overhead on some aros68k operations as i see on a slow system and it would be great to identify most frequently called functions while it happens without doing profiling job, which im not able to.

LibraryTimer perhaps?

http://aminet.net/search?query=LibraryTimer

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:43:15 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;746034
However when Windows started supporting multiple cpu cores there was software that ran worse on SMP systems than on single cpu systems. Until we can benchmark it then you can't tell if it's worth worrying about.

For completely linear processing, a single core scalar processor is most efficient. Single core processors are generally more powerful than a single core in a processors with SMP that has the same resources. Likewise, a a scalar processor is generally going to be faster than a superscalar or OoO processor with all dependent code and the same resources. There is hardware overhead in parallel processing and that's not even counting the software overhead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:16:19 AM by matthey »