Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC  (Read 16133 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
I would have sold organs (not necessarily my own) for the BlizzardG4 back in the day. If only it had come to pass.

http://www.nutts.demon.co.uk/blizzg3.html
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Quote from: Franko;641346
I've never really looked properly at the PPC chip on my BlizzardPPC board (603) @ 2240Mhz but I've often wondered if it would be possible to replace the PPC chip itself with a faster one or even a 604, any ideas if that is possible... :)

I don't think a 604 is a feasible upgrade due to pin/bus differences but people here have certainly upgraded the onboard 603 for a faster part. I've heard claims that over 300MHz has been achieved. The 750 (G3) *might* be feasible too.

Delshay and Statchu100 would be the people to ask about that.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »
As far as I know, the 603e is a BGA package, so with the right equipment, taking it out and putting a faster one in is fairly straightforward (without the right equipment, don't even attempt it). After that, you basically need to change the multipliers and clock crystals accordingly. IIRC, the multipliers are set via a block of four SMD resistors that you'd need to rearrange.

As tempting as it is, I've resisted the urge to fiddle with my BlizzardPPC. They aren't cheap to replace.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;641360
Statchu100 has played with CSPPC upgrades, but it hardly seems worth it. 333 Mhz for the PPC? You'd hardly notice the difference.

It's a 43% clockspeed increase over the fastest CSPPC ever sold by phase5 (233MHz) and a 66% increase over the much more common 200MHz version. Hardly insignificant.
int p; // A