Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC  (Read 16129 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
Quote from: ck007;640819
I'm failing to see why classic hardware is still pulling in such high prices.  Software is so much more advanced these days that you can't do anything productive.

You can't read/write Office 2003/2010 documents (which is the standard), there isn't a proper web browser.

Apart from wasting time and tinkering, what else can this kit be used for?

If you're into games, I can see the merit in paying $50 for an old A500, but not paying $1000+ when you can buy a desktop or laptop that could do so much more?!?!?

Is it just me, or does logic fly out the window when it comes to the Amiga community?

@ ck007

Office 2003/2010 documents !!! erm... what are those... !!!

They may be the "standard" in your house but I have never in 30 years of using computers ever had to use them (nor even know what they are but I can guess)... so just what makes you think they are the "standard" for everyone... ;)

PS: if you wanna talk "standards" then FinalWriter would be the "standard" that I use... :)

Wasting time, tinkering & playing games... maybe that's all you've ever used an Amiga for, then fine, plenty of other folk put them to far more useful purposes than that... :)

I use my Amiga's for all computing purposes except the net, this includes things such as DTP, Printing, Creating Audio, Creating Gfx, Editing Photos, Creating MP3s & Music Cd's, Burning CD's & DVD's, Letter Writing, programing, playing the occasional game, tinkering, Video work and a whole host of other stuff... :)

So YES I would say it's JUST YOU, nothing illogical about using Amiga's, sure it may be a bit more expensive but when you want the best you have to pay for it, simple as that... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;640855
M$ Office documents are so widespread in their use that they have become the global standard.  That's a fact, whether you choose to accept it or not.

It's not a case of whether I accept it or not, it's just down to the simple fact that I've never had to use any of these Word/Office documents in my life. So even if it's a fact or not, it simply doesn't apply to me or affect me... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;640874
Yep that's fine - I can understand that it doesn't affect the average Scotsman living in his underground lair :)

AH

If that last comment of yours weren't so true I could have gone on rant about it... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;640882
That's fascinating. Not having used Word format documents is a little like never using a PDF.

BTW - What's this got to do with PPC accelerators?

Not quite sure why that would be fascinating as I could name countless people I know who haven't done so either... :)

Until I got these iMacs last summer I had only ever used one PDF file (1940/42 Service Manual) that I downloaded on my sisters PC a number of years ago and that until last summer was the only PDF I had ever viewed and used on my Amiga... :)

BTW - this has got nothing to do with PPC accelerators, not quite sure how we got on to this subject... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;640950
Actually not at all "fascinating",i'd say "Sad"  If a person has actually lived in the real world, had a real job , a real life, etc etc they would never make a  statements like "i've never used a word document file" and to brag about it is even more embarassing

But back to more relevant discussion...

Get a life you sad little person... ;)

Carpenters don't have much use for word documents you know, but then you would understand that living inside the confines of your own single brain cell... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;641314
Iggy glad you finally saw the light :) I would hate for you to take on an impossible mission...

many many times have semi serious ppl in the amiga community contempleted a new ppc card. Nobody has done it as its not worth the time and effort by a longshot.

btw why do you have this commdrscot in your sig?

Because unlike you the man is intelligent & has a sense of humour... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;641343
I would have sold organs (not necessarily my own) for the BlizzardG4 back in the day. If only it had come to pass.

I've never really looked properly at the PPC chip on my BlizzardPPC board (603) @ 2240Mhz but I've often wondered if it would be possible to replace the PPC chip itself with a faster one or even a 604, any ideas if that is possible... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:24 PM »
@ Karlos & AppleHammer

Thanks for the info... :)

I've often noticed Statchu100's stuff on ebay and here and wondered if he had upgraded them himself or it that's the way he bought them, need to have a look through some of his old posts... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;641356
As far as I know, the 603e is a BGA package, so with the right equipment, taking it out and putting a faster one in is fairly straightforward (without the right equipment, don't even attempt it). After that, you basically need to change the multipliers and clock crystals accordingly. IIRC, the multipliers are set via a block of four SMD resistors that you'd need to rearrange.

As tempting as it is, I've resisted the urge to fiddle with my BlizzardPPC. They aren't cheap to replace.

Think you may be right there, it was nerve wracking enough when I had to desolder the edge connector on my BPPC to replace it with a new one... think I might just shelve that idea for now... :)