Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion / Re: source for A2000 clock battery?
« Last post by zipper on May 12, 2024, 05:17:16 PM »
2023 coin cell adapter with integrated diode. no more hassle.
Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion / Re: source for A2000 clock battery?
« Last post by blakespot on May 12, 2024, 03:44:10 PM »
Here I am again (14 years later), searching for a tech answer and finding that over a decade ago I asked the question and info was given leading to a solution. There needs to be a word for that -- it's happening to me more and more (usually I find traces of my earlier questions on the Usenet, though.)

At ANY rate, since this post I've twice replaced the battery in my Amiga 2000. Most recently it was a very large 3.5v pack with huge mAh rating, but it did the job (built by Batteries Plus for me).

So, again I need to replace this battery. I've got it run a distance from the mobo with cables and I just solder the new onto the cables and keep it hanging under the plastic faceplate -- leak away, battery, 'tis no matter!

SO -- Batteries Plus has in stock a small 3.6v NiCAD with 400mAh. I see the original A2000 clock battery was 3.6v NiCAD with 80mAh. I just wanted to get opinion here (it's been a while since I get into this) that I should be fine with that much higher mAH. I am sure the current large 3x1.2pack has even higher than that --- and it might be a NiMH, I can't recall for certain.

Thanks for confirming or dispelling. Cheers.

Edit: I am aware of the coin-cell motherboard mounted kits that make the swapout easier. I'm not interested in that - I've got these cables run and soldering new batteries to them every 4 years is a breeze.

bp
Amiga Software Issues and Discussion / Re: RSCP v1.14 released!
« Last post by thebajaguy on May 12, 2024, 03:00:41 PM »
To be fair, I haven't had the time to dig up the tool to easily post the update to Aminet.

v1.15:  Some changes added (by SpeedGeek) to handle higher calculated speeds, and to resize the display graph for them.
 It was ahead of its time. Don’t forget PC’s of the time period were no where near to doing what Commodore were releasing hardware wise. The Amiga had a custom chipset which produced Sound and Graphics. It can multi-task. Okay it wasn’t PC compatible so therefore you couldn’t run things like WordPerfect or Lotus 1-2-3 etc… But things like games and the Demo Scene started because of this system.
I did some digging in the Wayback machine, and I found a valid copy of the Rabayjr site!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120819194435/http://www.rabayjr.com/Amiga/Flyer_Faq/flyer/fa4000.html

I plan on downloading a copy locally to preserve a copy. 

Next, to find an alternate of the critical Newtek stuff.

Cheers,
Bill
a big thing for me was commodore introduced true multitasking in 1985 on the amiga, while microsoft and apple were stumped on that till 1990.
it was the first personal computer that i know of that could produce a broadcast quality NTSC video.
Amiga Emulation / Archiving Vintage Amiga Floppies and using them in an emulator
« Last post by scm2000 on May 11, 2024, 11:35:33 PM »
This post is more of a review than a question.
While I'm still on the lookout for an affordable and serviceable Amiga 1000, I have been using Amiga Forever to play the included games, and demos and do some BASIC programming.

Wanting to try to get back to what I had back in the 80's I found a great copy of Deluxe Paint II on Ebay.  The original box, manual, other sheets and the 2 floppies -- Key disk and Art disk.

I bought that understanding such old floppies might not work at all, but at least I'd have it as an artifact.

I bought a floppy drive with integrated GreaseWeezle board...(on ebay) The Amiga forever documentation indicates I should be able to use that as a "real" drive in the emulator to read Amiga floppies on the fly.   But not wanting to add any wear and tear to the two disks, what I did do was archive the two to .adf image files.   I noted that the key disk read fine, and the Art disk, had two spots where it did a retry...   I think that's amazing condition for such old floppies.

From there it was a simple matter to mount the images in the Amiga settings, and there I was, back in the 80's running  Deluxe Paint!

After going through the process once, I realized that i should be able to use the same drive to archive floppies from other personal computer systems and other types of floppy drives.    I see a lot of 5 inch floppies available on Ebay, and so my mind is turning to putting together a drive and Weezle board myself.

Amiga Tutorials / Re: Getting online with PiStorm32, Miami DX and Encrypted WiFi
« Last post by bp500 on May 11, 2024, 07:24:23 PM »
Many thanks to AndyFC for this tutorial!

The scripts of the CaffeineOS 925 build did not work for me but following the guide and doing everything manually worked fine.

I would suggest to also add a few instructions about the configuration of the DNS server in Miami.
I think it may come useful for those that do not know their way around Miami (that's definitaly me) since its really not that obvious where that option is!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10