Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 68315 times)

Description:

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« Reply #419 from previous page: October 18, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
GOLD2.11 is now out !

[GOLD2.11] (18.10.2018)
* Added Out of Order Execution for FPU
* Improved FPU to 52bit precision (fixes Elude demos)
* Forward bug fixed (thanks to neoman)

http://wiki.apollo-accelerators.com/

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=6&note=17984&z=9PiZVA

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #420 on: October 18, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »
Is it possible to buy/preorder a V4 standalone??

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #421 on: October 18, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »
Why throw your money at Kipper and co. before there is a functioning mass produced board in existence? I mean a Tabor from A-EON would be nice but not without sound chip support or some way of telling if the product is actually finished!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #422 on: October 19, 2018, 01:29:19 AM »
Did you actually read what the OP asked?  He said absolutely nothing about the Tabor, his question was regarding a possible pre order of the VAMPIRE...

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #423 on: October 19, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
I am using the Tabor as another example of a product that it would be unwise to invest in prior to it actually being finished!! The Vampire team are operating like a small cottage industry despite the costs and complexity of the product involved. Good will has gotten them a long way with the Amiga community but I like to see things in the flesh (or silicon in this case ;-)) before stumping up any money upfront! Saying that, Tower57 and Brian Bagnall's books definitely deserved my support and I was tempted by the CheckMate case from Stephen Jones. They were cheaper/simpler products however.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:26:13 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline Niding

« Reply #424 on: October 19, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »
Well, V4 has been provided to betatesters, and they have started to release recordings of their testing.

With regards to the question; I havent seen any pre-order options for V4 (I havent looked very hard tho).

BigD have a point that putting money up front before a product is released can be risky, so its a fair comment.
That said; the Vampire/Apollo team has delivered on the V2 front, so I wouldnt feel it to be a risky venture to pre-order V4 if that option was available.

I understand the intrest in such an option tho, since the V2 queue was/is quite long, and unless you ordered as soon as it was available, you where in for several months of wait.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #425 on: October 19, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »
Not an issue for me as I have an 060 with Picasso IV system to play with so the speed increases are not as significant for me. For an 030 AGA user I can understand the hussle ;-) Also, life is short and these projects take so long.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:16:06 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline Niding

« Reply #426 on: October 19, 2018, 11:23:55 AM »
Yes, life is short.

Which is why Im not fuzzed about the speed of these projects, since I cant take anything with me to the grave (I can, but I wont care). I ordered the V2, and "forgot" about it. Then suddenly it appeared in the mail. The wait didnt hurt, since life goes on in parallel.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #427 on: October 19, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »
Money can be gaining interest in our accounts rather than theirs in the meantime. Holidays can be booked, plans made and even real tangible Amiga hardware bought off the shelf in the meantime. I'm sure the Apollo Team's 'war chest' is deep enough now that they don't need our money up front. Be patient and a constant supply will eventually come. That is if the operate like a normal 'supply and demand' company rather than a Nintendo-like company artificially restricting supply to drive up the demand and price!

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #428 on: October 19, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
Money can be gaining interest in our accounts rather than theirs in the meantime. Holidays can be booked, plans made and even real tangible Amiga hardware bought off the shelf in the meantime. I'm sure the Apollo Team's 'war chest' is deep enough now that they don't need our money up front. Be patient and a constant supply will eventually come. That is if the operate like a normal 'supply and demand' company rather than a Nintendo-like company artificially restricting supply to drive up the demand and price!

Why so bitter and twisted?

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #429 on: October 19, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
There is no conspiracy in terms or production or pricing. The team is working on the core, the team is small. I paid for my Vampire 4 in summer 2017 as a tester. It took a year to get one due to a nasty bug that prevented bringup. Once the board came to life I had a V4 within a couple of weeks for demos and testing. Happy to try and help .

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #430 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
There is no conspiracy in terms or production or pricing. The team is working on the core, the team is small. I paid for my Vampire 4 in summer 2017 as a tester. It took a year to get one due to a nasty bug that prevented bringup. Once the board came to life I had a V4 within a couple of weeks for demos and testing. Happy to try and help .

Great, who do you contact to get on the list?

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #431 on: October 20, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »
^ Search for user 'Kolla' here on the board. He's happy to help with everything Vampire related.
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #432 on: October 21, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
^ Search for user 'Kolla' here on the board. He's happy to help with everything Vampire related.

LOL are you kidding? Reading his posts, he seems like quite a dick.

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #433 on: October 21, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
You've passed the test with flying colors :D

Now seriously, PM me with anything you want to know about the V4.
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #434 on: October 21, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »
@Lord Aga

All anyone wants to know is when it'll go on general sale. Not who you have to secret handshake or bribe to get up the queue but when the regular man and his dog will get a chance to own one. The Amiga community would happily help drum up hype for the board if there was an official release date but this whole 'queuing at the factory gate' way of doing business really sucks IMHO!