Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who used AMIX?  (Read 16603 times)

Description:

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Re: Who used AMIX?
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 14, 2010, 10:12:41 PM »
There is also a patch to install from HD if I remember correctly. Since I already had a working drive and blank tapes I just went that way instead.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:35 PM »
The so-called HD Hack method has the unfortunate side effect of breaking the package management system, which means the patch disk to bring Amix up to its final version won't work.

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 07:09:57 AM »
Perhaps Failure can give us a few hints here :-)
Using the "hack" method might not bring us to the latest version, but i suppose it would still be an operational environment, right?
I have a few worries for my setup though.. First off is the fact that i have the 2090A card, with an additional boot module card. Will that do instead of the A2091?
Then there's an issue with the graphics. I have a Domino 32 video card, which in the wiki is stated working with drivers from Gateway cd's. Now that is a part i might get confused with.. Suppose i manage to complete the installation, and leave the driver part for later, will that do? Would i have to have the Domino plugged from the beginning? Meaning, will the system still be able to utilize the card's VGA output at all without drivers, or should i start with the rgb default output of the Amiga and work the driver installation afterwards?
Another thought is, what if someone has a successful installation already, can they create a disk image of some form that would be copied (raw) and upped so others can take it and dump it to an empty disk? That would also help people trying to run AMIX under UAE.

EDIT: By the way, i have borrowed an A2091 from a friend, just in case things don't go too well. If the installation works out using the A2091, would i still be able to swap it later on with the A2090, or will it affect the OS?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:42:46 AM by salax54 »

Offline AndyLandy

• Show only replies by AndyLandy
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
Quote from: sim085;543185
Wow, I never thought there was a UNIX implementation for the Amiga!! Is this still available for purchase or download?

It was vogue to have your own UNIX build around about that time. C= had Amix, Apple released A/UX and even Microsoft dabbled with UNIX (albeit a few years earlier) with a product called Xenix.
Join us on IRC! irc.ecs.soton.ac.uk #amiga

A500plus - GVP A530, needs work! | A1200 - 68030/40; 2+32MB; 1.4GB | A3000 - 68040/25; 2+80MB; 4GB | A4000 - 68060/50; work-in-progress!

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
Quote from: sim085;543185
Wow, I never thought there was a UNIX implementation for the Amiga!! Is this still available for purchase or download?

Sure!

Just contact:

Commodore Diskette Replacement
C2655
1200 Wilson Drive
West Chester, PA 19380
(215) 431-9100

Ask for Mehdi Ali.

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;542696

oops since found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Unix which answers some of my questions :)

Hmmmmm - when I sarted my CAD systems analyst training back in 1989 we used Sun workstations at school.

Initially we had SUN workstations with 68020 cpu at 28 mHz and 4 mB RAM.

In early 1992 the school upgraded to RISC powered Sun Stations.

In so far I object to Wikipedia:
"Commodore-Amiga, Inc., in 1990, did a full port of AT&T Unix System V Release 4 for the Amiga computer family (in addition to the proprietary AmigaOS shipping with these systems by default), informally known as Amix.
Sun, HP, and IBM had similarly priced systems. The A3000UX's 68030 was noticeably underpowered compared to most of its RISC-based competitors."

I would rather think that a 68030 cpu is superior to a 68020 cpu, that was "state of the art" for SUN workstations in the late 80s.

I remember this because I asked our tutor when the Amiga3000UX was released, if I could - in theory - run the CAD soft we used at school on it.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 01:00:38 AM »
Quote from: salax54;549599
Perhaps Failure can give us a few hints here :-)
Using the "hack" method might not bring us to the latest version, but i suppose it would still be an operational environment, right?

Yeah, it works, but you can't patch.  For as long as AMIX is likely to hold your interest, you're unlikely to run into any major bugs :-)  If you want to try to fix the package management, I had some thoughts on that here.

First off is the fact that i have the 2090A card, with an additional boot module card. Will that do instead of the A2091?

Should work just fine, check here for a complete-ish list.

I have a Domino 32 video card, which in the wiki is stated working with drivers from Gateway cd's. Now that is a part i might get confused with.. Suppose i manage to complete the installation, and leave the driver part for later, will that do?

There's an excellent writeup of Picasso II installation that should be very similar, if not identical, to the installation for your Domino card.  There's no opportunity to add support for any card during the install except for the A2410, so no worries about that.
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP