Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Return to a more strict TOS enforcement?  (Read 17520 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Return to a more strict TOS enforcement?
« Reply #104 from previous page: April 05, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »
So whats the difference between thios site and moombunny :) :) :)

Seriously though they are not even similar.  This is site is generalyl moderated to a correct level.  No anon posting .

Its a masasive over reaction to compare  this site to moombunny.

But do we really want to get so moderated  so hard that everyone leaves like a certain other Amiga site I could mention
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
Quote from: Plaz;628440
One more thought to add.... as CUSA rolls out it's 64 and later it's Amiga, chances are the average age of the crowd interested in visiting here is going to drop, perhaps dramatically. Though we have some younger users here now, my perception is that the majority of frequent poster are older duddies like me and the tone is set according.

A.org needs to think about how the forums play in the future. Will it stay the gruffer version where I can learn about barnacle appendages and how the apply to computer thread topics (which I though was funny actually), or will it try to smooth out the rough edges for new visitors?

At this point if my 14 year old who's interested in science and computers wanted to research Amiga info and history at Amiga.org, I'd seriously consider putting it on the restricted list based on the recent activity. Food for thought.

Plaz

I'll play :)

I doubt many youngsters are that interested in owning a breadbinPC, or a new Amiga. New Amigans come through the main Amiga sites first, as a general rule. Lemon Amiga might be a less controvertial forum to start in for a beginner.

If I were researching the Amiga i'd probably start at the Amiga info sites like http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/, wikipedia, or http://amiga.resource.cx/
I don't know if this forum should be child friendly, i'd probably say not.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »
Quote from: Plaz;628440
One more thought to add.... as CUSA rolls out it's 64 and later it's Amiga, chances are the average age of the crowd interested in visiting here is going to drop, perhaps dramatically. Though we have some younger users here now, my perception is that the majority of frequent poster are older duddies like me and the tone is set according.

A.org needs to think about how the forums play in the future. Will it stay the gruffer version where I can learn about barnacle appendages and how the apply to computer thread topics (which I though was funny actually), or will it try to smooth out the rough edges for new visitors?

At this point if my 14 year old who's interested in science and computers wanted to research Amiga info and history at Amiga.org, I'd seriously consider putting it on the restricted list based on the recent activity. Food for thought.

Plaz

What about if your 14 year old was studying sociology and/or psychology? :lol:

But seriously, you bring up good points, although for the life of me I can't see anyone coming to this site via CUSA that isn't already an old fuddy-duddy.  The truth is that these pedantic arguments we have over "teh real Amiguh" only matter to us old enough to actually remember what a real amiga is.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
Quote from: JJ;628493
So whats the difference between thios site and moombunny :) :) :)

Seriously though they are not even similar.  This is site is generalyl moderated to a correct level.  No anon posting .

Its a masasive over reaction to compare  this site to moombunny.

But do we really want to get so moderated  so hard that everyone leaves like a certain other Amiga site I could mention

I would say we're more like regretsy than moobunny.

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;628496
I don't know if this forum should be child friendly, i'd probably say not.

As an old timer like me you know Wayne always been intended to be family friendly. Whether it should or not is not my call but would be the current owner's call. I guess some of the newer members and "new to the interweb" members don't know this and do not appreciate the heritage. Some seem downright shocked a TOS exists and anyone would want to enforce it.

Right now the poll shows about 3/4 favoring stepped up moderation and almost 1/2 want strict enforcement of the TOS. Strangely only 3 people think polls are stupid:lol:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Khephren

« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;628503
As an old timer like me you know Wayne always been intended to be family friendly. Whether it should or not is not my call but would be the current owner's call. I guess some of the newer members and "new to the interweb" members don't know this and do not appreciate the heritage. Some seem downright shocked a TOS exists and anyone would want to enforce it.

Right now the poll shows about 3/4 favoring stepped up moderation and almost 1/2 want strict enforcement of the TOS. Strangely only 3 people think polls are stupid:lol:

When I said 'not child friendly' I meant adult conversations.
The opposite of people coming on here to behave like children.
I don't really care what Wayne thinks any more, his lasts set of posts had him acting just like the people who need moderating.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
One area of A.org where moderation (or lack of) has had an adverse effect is the Marketplace. Trading, buying, selling or dealing in any way, is a total joke here now. Has been for at least the last couple of years. How about this for example.... say you want to sell something. The original poster should have the ability to "lock" their thread and direct all inquiries straight to their mailbox. The seller then could qualify and deal privately. They could then update their sale or wanted thread as applicable and appropriate. Sale threads shouldn't be long-assed MySpace looking vertical nightmares that take up several pages where idiots post silly questions such as "how much to ship to Italy" and then several posts later respond publicly with "interest withdrawn due to shipping".  :mad:

That's just one example where self-voluntary moderation might come in handy. But just think if the original poster was allowed to lock their thread in another forum. They would then be free to post news about 'whatever' without fear of immature reprisal and opinions that just junk up a thread and ultimately, leads to school-yard fighting. If someone is dumb enough to post a flame toward someone or something and then locks the thread, great! Those of us who'd rather dwell on the business at hand, ie: buying/selling/trading/talking about computing, won't have an opportunity to feed the trolls. Combatting nonsense with nonsense isn't being "social". It's counterproductive is all it is.

This is how self-moderation works on some of the most popular social sites in the world. Facebook for example. Don't like what someone has to say? Well, if you're the original poster, you have the ability to simply delete their comment. If you find a comment is irrelevant, delete it. If it's a personal attack - goodbye! If it's a qualified comment and you want to address it in a mature manner and feel the other person can debate in a similar fashion - there you go then! You've now created your own environment where you would feel free to express yourself, all the while ignoring all the dolts around you. Isn't that what we do in real life? Actually, real life face to face, "moderation" is done much more swiftly. Sometimes with violence. Sometimes through legal means or through some other form of punishment or reprimand.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:23:00 PM by save2600 »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;628504
I don't really care what Wayne thinks any more, his lasts set of posts had him acting just like the people who need moderating.

You do realise that Wayne is no longer in charge, right? If he's become a bit more "free" with his opinion, that's to be expected: since selling up, he doesn't have to try and please everybody anymore.
int p; // A

Offline Khephren

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;628506
You do realise that Wayne is no longer in charge, right? If he's become a bit more "free" with his opinion, that's to be expected: since selling up, he doesn't have to try and please everybody anymore.

Sure I know it, I watched Jens flounce off when no one would tell him who the new owner was :)

I just found Reds comment amusing: wayne wanted a family friendly site, and some of the newer members don't get it...and Wayne's one of the guys spouting! You couldn't make it up ;)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;628508
Sure I know it, I watched Jens flounce off when no one would tell him who the new owner was :)

I just found Reds comment amusing: wayne wanted a family friendly site, and some of the newer members don't get it...and Wayne's one of the guys spouting! You couldn't make it up ;)

I was about to say the exact same thing myself but of course Karlos would jump on it if I did... ;)

Family friendly... aye right... with Wayne putting as many swear words he can in each of his posts... :roflmao:

Offline Khephren

« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Anyway, i'm all for a bit more moderating. It won't need to be hands on forever, once everyone get's 'smacked with the hairy side' a few times, they will know what's allowable and what isn't...which means you'll have a sore arse franko :)

So we can be adult, but not specifically child friendly, which should be good enough.

@save2600
"This is how self-moderation works on some of the most popular social sites in the world. Facebook for example. Don't like what someone has to say? Well, if you're the original poster, you have the ability to simply delete their comment. If you find a comment is irrelevant"

Don't fancy that at all. I don't like the idea of censorship, or private deals for selling goods. A few good mods should be all that we need. I'd hate threads to become someones private playground. You could use the blog function for that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:34:07 PM by Khephren »

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;628508

You misunderstood my point completely. Oh well...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;628511
Anyway, i'm all for a bit more moderating. It won't need to be hands on forever, once everyone get's 'smacked with the hairy side' a few times, they will know what's allowable and what isn't...which means you'll have a sore arse franko :)

So we can be adult, but not specifically child friendly, which should be good enough.

I've already got one sitting here for hours on end watching this whole wee drama unfold... ;)

Offline Plaz

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »
Striving for family friendly might be overkill, but I'd prefer to send the little buggers away without their eyes and ears burning.

Plaz
Can't spell my own name today
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:43:36 PM by Plaz »

Offline Khephren

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;628513
You misunderstood my point completely. Oh well...

I'm an artist, I don't need brains. You'll have to explain a bit better ;)

Offline Plaz

« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;628498
What about if your 14 year old was studying sociology and/or psychology? :lol:

Classroom study, sure fine. Calling your teacher, fellow student by some of those names/terms... mmm, not so much. :biglaugh:

Plaz