Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Return to a more strict TOS enforcement?  (Read 17223 times)

Description:

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
Re: Return to a more strict TOS enforcement?
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:10:26 AM »
As soon as someone makes a personal attack, the post should be edited and a warning given. A second indescretion in the same thread should lead to a 24 hour cooling off period (i.e. a ban).

CUSA threads should go in the correct section ('CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney' is under the wrong forum heading, imho), and not on the front page unless directly Amiga related. That way, if people go looking fro CUSA threads, it's their own doing. Mods should attempt to remain  bipartisan.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:12:41 AM by Khephren »

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;628327
This whole 'banish CUSA' thing is silly.  Even the idea of 'banish CUSA off the front page' is silly.  If CUSA is not 'Amiga' enough, then neither it s OS4.  The original Commodore didn't make it, and never made anything for the PPC.  So, MorphOS is out too.  The MiniMig is certainly not a 68000, and RetroReplay isn't a real Amiga.  Nor is Natami.  We can banish Amithalon as no different than CUSA, since it was just Linux on an x86 with emulation and some integration.  And we can't forget to banish UAE.  We could give AROS a pass, but only for the 68000 as that is the only version that runs on an actual Amiga.

By the time you banish everything that wasn't produced by or for the one true commodore, you have very little left.

Amiga.org is in the unfortunate situation that it has a few members who go out of their way to troll the board and insult other members.  The moderators don't want to be over zealous, so those individuals get worse.  It isn't hard to figure out who are doing it just to be disruptive, and who isn't.  The worst offenders periodically will openly brag about how good they are at causing problems on the board.

All the things you mention are derivatives of AmigaOS, so are directly Amiga related. If CUSA produce something Amiga related, we have every right to see it on these boards, and i'd expect to.  If they produced an alternative AmigaOS, or an workbench like linux with UAE built in? that would have to count.

Your quite far off the beaten track though, an silk screened logo on an android tablet or C64 PC case bares no relation to something that will run Amiga software, and should not be compared to most of your examples. As an Amigan, i'm quite surprised you can't see the difference.

That doesn't mean there is not a place for these things, it's just people should judge carefully which forum to post them into, and whether or not they are Amiga newsworthy enough to hit the front page.

This is Amiga.org. Not Amiga brand name.org, or commodore.org. The machine(s) that run the OS and software are why (most) of us are here.

As for trolling on the boards,your right, CUSA threads would not be half as bad if our Mods would come down on the worst offenders a bit more often.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:14:21 AM by Khephren »

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;628339
Well then remove the problem that is fancy cased overpriced Linux based PCs as news on an AMIGA forum ;)

My PSP runs UAE....should we have announcements about PSP 2 or PSP phone on here too? :roflmao:

no....but PSP UAE would be fine! forum/Amiga Emulation
Hell, you could have threads about the PSP in some of the coffee house forums.

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »
What are these bars for anyway? and why does your title say banned? should I even be speaking to an outlaw? ;)

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;628404
But not in the official news announcement section then? ;)

heh, maybe not. Still, more relevent than 'hey a c64 pc case!' or 'hey a silk screened cheapo tablet!'

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
Quote from: Plaz;628440
One more thought to add.... as CUSA rolls out it's 64 and later it's Amiga, chances are the average age of the crowd interested in visiting here is going to drop, perhaps dramatically. Though we have some younger users here now, my perception is that the majority of frequent poster are older duddies like me and the tone is set according.

A.org needs to think about how the forums play in the future. Will it stay the gruffer version where I can learn about barnacle appendages and how the apply to computer thread topics (which I though was funny actually), or will it try to smooth out the rough edges for new visitors?

At this point if my 14 year old who's interested in science and computers wanted to research Amiga info and history at Amiga.org, I'd seriously consider putting it on the restricted list based on the recent activity. Food for thought.

Plaz

I'll play :)

I doubt many youngsters are that interested in owning a breadbinPC, or a new Amiga. New Amigans come through the main Amiga sites first, as a general rule. Lemon Amiga might be a less controvertial forum to start in for a beginner.

If I were researching the Amiga i'd probably start at the Amiga info sites like http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/, wikipedia, or http://amiga.resource.cx/
I don't know if this forum should be child friendly, i'd probably say not.

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;628503
As an old timer like me you know Wayne always been intended to be family friendly. Whether it should or not is not my call but would be the current owner's call. I guess some of the newer members and "new to the interweb" members don't know this and do not appreciate the heritage. Some seem downright shocked a TOS exists and anyone would want to enforce it.

Right now the poll shows about 3/4 favoring stepped up moderation and almost 1/2 want strict enforcement of the TOS. Strangely only 3 people think polls are stupid:lol:

When I said 'not child friendly' I meant adult conversations.
The opposite of people coming on here to behave like children.
I don't really care what Wayne thinks any more, his lasts set of posts had him acting just like the people who need moderating.

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;628506
You do realise that Wayne is no longer in charge, right? If he's become a bit more "free" with his opinion, that's to be expected: since selling up, he doesn't have to try and please everybody anymore.

Sure I know it, I watched Jens flounce off when no one would tell him who the new owner was :)

I just found Reds comment amusing: wayne wanted a family friendly site, and some of the newer members don't get it...and Wayne's one of the guys spouting! You couldn't make it up ;)

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Anyway, i'm all for a bit more moderating. It won't need to be hands on forever, once everyone get's 'smacked with the hairy side' a few times, they will know what's allowable and what isn't...which means you'll have a sore arse franko :)

So we can be adult, but not specifically child friendly, which should be good enough.

@save2600
"This is how self-moderation works on some of the most popular social sites in the world. Facebook for example. Don't like what someone has to say? Well, if you're the original poster, you have the ability to simply delete their comment. If you find a comment is irrelevant"

Don't fancy that at all. I don't like the idea of censorship, or private deals for selling goods. A few good mods should be all that we need. I'd hate threads to become someones private playground. You could use the blog function for that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:34:07 PM by Khephren »

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;628513
You misunderstood my point completely. Oh well...

I'm an artist, I don't need brains. You'll have to explain a bit better ;)