Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is this the Amiga ??  (Read 3188 times)

Description:

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
Re: Is this the Amiga ??
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »
your welcoime.... just watch it so you dont hit your head on your way out...

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »
Now I know what the zeros at the start and end of your nick mean. Bye!
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
Quote from: amigagr;518278
so what? sure i will not cry, i'm busy now installing the new morphos 2.3!!!

Morphos 2.3 released! this notice should be in the news page, but talking about crying peoples post is a waste of time.
a1200 060

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »
Quote from: 0amigan0;518261
This is my last post in an amiga forum (no, I won't be back)!

Is that a promise, a threat or both?

Either way ..

To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »
What DID YOU see 20 years ago (or so) when u saw "The Amiga" ??

I saw a cool machine that did everything the others couldn't yet do. And I bought one because it was cool and had awesome games. Later on I started to use apps, first I used it only for games & demos.

What do u think today's kids will see if they take a look at Os4 or Morphos or Aros  ??
They will see a bunch of fanatics who fight for whom will be more Amiga-ish than the other, without a decent web browser (no, OWB is not comparable to firefox, sorry guys)!

They will (if they are smart) see how it is to get old. How you grasp on to the past and wanting even to change the past (living in denial) so it suits you best. To change the past so that Amiga finally wins over PC, because that was what every Amiga user wanted back then. How the fanatics are holding on to it so tight that you won't even see what's happening around you in the other PC/Mac /Linux world.

If this is what remained of the Commodore Amiga, then I prefer to quit from this so-called community.

No it is not was remained of Commodore Amiga.Commodore and Amiga died. Period. What remained of Amiga is on eBay or sites like it. What you can choose from today is "Amiga wannabees", just face that fact none of them are more Amiga than the other. That's just an imagination, grasping the past, believing "we made it, we are doing just great, PC didn't kill us".

It's your decision, I'd say you are waaaaaay too serious about "Amiga", your almost making me believe we have time-warped into the late 90's again.

PS. Funny you wanted to name yourself "Amigan". I used Amigas as much as average "Amigan" over there, but I won't call myself "amigan", I feel there's just too much negativity around that word if you ask me. I was an Amiga user, not amigan.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
This kind of thing was well illustrated for me yesterday when I was driving down the road in the company vehicle waiting for oncoming traffic to cease so I could turn right as the last car came past and I was about to turn this youth in a crappy car with a car full of other youths gives me this look like you know here's going to turn and not give way... (in NZ people turning left give way to those turning right)

I don't get road rage I just find comfort in thinking about the sticky ends people meet while they endevour to always push boundries or pull pranks... time is a great equalizer and eventually if you seriously don't grow up at some stage you will get whats coming to you one way or another or one form or another...

and that feeling is priceless and way better than thinking you're winning at that moment...

btw blakespot, that was a great post.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Quote from: slayer;518310
btw blakespot, that was a great post.

Thank you.

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 02:57:33 AM »
@0amigan0

I haven't followed your posts, so I don't know your opinions or why you have only made 75 posts since you joined in Dec 2006.  This is your choice and it is your right to leave if you wish.

In answer to your questions ...

When I saw the Amiga in the late 1980's I was quite impressed and purchased an Amiga 2000HD.  At the time I could not afford to get an accelerator card, so I used it with the 68000 CPU.  This was a great computer for a young family.  My son was about 2 years old when we got that machine and he used it too.

Even though we moved on to Windows machines for general computing, I contined to use the Amiga 2000HD computer for almost 20 years.

Near the end of 2004, I purchased my next generation "Amiga-like" system and upgraded from AmigaOS 3.1 to the new operating system.  It was new and colourful and yet immediately familiar and usable right out of the box.  I could run Final Writer 97 and IBrowse and AWeb as well as some programs I could never have run on my old system without an accelerator card.

For me, it is partly nostalgia and partly a wish to do things my own way.    I remember when computing was fun.  It is a real joy for me to use my special "Amiga" system at home after using my Windows machine on the corporate network at work all day.  My "Amiga" boots up quickly and I am surfing the internet before the Windows machines are even finished booting up into Windows XP.  I use OWB more often now than Internet Explorer or Firefox.

My son and wife have no interest at all in the "Amiga-like" systems.  They like the mainstream systems.  My son also has an iPod Touch and various games machines.  I think these internet enabled devices are quite cool, but I don't use them very often.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:42:31 AM by redfox »

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 03:25:46 AM »
I think you have to understand the times back in the 80's when there weren't computer stores on every corner, and for good or ill (mostly ill) the peecee is the default standard. Back then, a home computer was something new, not just the appliance of today.

When I first heard of the Amiga, it was still the secret Loraine prototype. But what I head from folks who knew things was cool.... a desktop computer capable of "Saturday morning TV quality animation". I wanted one... and finally got a 1000 when they came out. ... Still own it.  While I think that "Saturday morning" thing was somewhat exagerated, it was light years ahead of the stuff I was doing on the Atari 800.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 04:29:54 AM »
Quote from: 0amigan0;518261
What DID YOU see 20 years ago (or so) when u saw "The Amiga" ??

Hi,

I saw a strange computer that drew my interest.

What do u think today's kids will see if they take a look at Os4 or Morphos or Aros  ??

HI,

Probably nothing, they don't know anything except winblows, some may know Linux, but most are just to lazy and generally go with the crowd like a bunch of sheep.

They will see a bunch of fanatics who fight for whom will be more Amiga-ish than the other, without a decent web browser (no, OWB is not comparable to firefox, sorry guys)!

HI,

Back when the Amiga first came out there was no web, just phone modems and BBS boards so it really doesn't bother me. I like the Amiga for what it can do, and I lke hot rodding it to see how far I can make it go. Sometimes I even try to write a program, it is lots of fun without the cost.

If this is what remained of the Commodore Amiga, then I prefer to quit from this so-called community.

HI,

Then so be it, tata, have a nice PC life.

Hi,

Don't prove yourself wrong, because I will be waiting to call you a dirty rotten liar, if you come back

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 04:31:50 AM »
I kinda get where he's coming from.

When you have expectations that cant be met it's very easy to become frustrated and embittered.  

Because of what the Amiga was in the past, some would like the scene to be more than it is now.  It's a bit like expecting a model train club to band together and build a real steam train.  Even if you somehow got it to happen, it would still be a steam train in a diesel train world.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 04:49:05 AM »
I think we all handle the aha moment where our brains finally tell our hearts that "it ain't coming back" differently.  Some of us get bitter, some of use accept it and continue to enjoy our hobby.  

WE do need to take ourselves with a sense of humour, we're all that's left, there aren't going to be more of us, so just smile, it's all good, morphos, 4.1, 3.9 and so on, and enjoy.  It's an escape from an age where the computer is a tool to an age with it was so much more.  I can do a 1000 things on my MacPro that I couldn't dream of on my Amiga but it's the Amiga that still puts a smile on my face.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Marcb

• Show only replies by Marcb
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 06:40:10 AM »
Parts of this thread kind of remind me of what Amiga became :lol:

I agree with Persia though, no dual core windows box puts a smile on my face the way the Amiga does. ( Or a comparable hole in my wallet )
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:22:54 AM by Marcb »
"...but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline DrDekker

• Show only replies by DrDekker
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:56 AM »
Quote from Persia:

"It's an escape from an age where the computer is a tool to an age with it was so much more. I can do a 1000 things on my MacPro that I couldn't dream of on my Amiga but it's the Amiga that still puts a smile on my face."

Same here for me too!
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
Persia >> So what you are saying is, we should do what every one else is doing and call at iAmiga.... whats up with that stupid "i" anyway?

Offline sim085

• Show only replies by sim085
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 07, 2009, 08:56:21 AM »
Reading the first post made me reflect a little. I feel the same as the original poster - "the amiga I have infront of me today does not give me the same emotions it used to give me when I was 10 up to 15!". However I do not think Amiga is to blame, rather it is the fact that we have grown up - at least some of us.

Yesterday I spent an hour playing an old game I used to play for hours and hours - I was going to get crazy because it was taking so long to load after each turn.

However the fact is not that the A500+ is taking long, but rather the fact that I got accustomed to the fast processing power of the new PC.

I would really like to have those emotions back ... however time (so far) only has one direction and we can not do anything to go the other way round - if anyone knows how to do this, please do let me know ;) :P

Regards,
Sim085