Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally Ordered FastATA 1200 MK-IV IDE  (Read 3830 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Finally Ordered FastATA 1200 MK-IV IDE
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:38:26 AM »
Quote from: Astral;748012
I thought that was the idea of the risers...because thats what help them fit with other upgrades? (And we are talking about the A1200 here, where a s*&tload of aftermarket upgrades can be fitted to make a super souped-up system...on a system that is essentially nowhere near as easy to upgrade as a big box Amiga).

We'll see if it works when they come in, will see soonish! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
When you get it share pics! Good luck, I myself have a Indivision AGA MK2 and am thinking of getting the FastATA 1200 MK-IV also so I will appreciate all pictures you can share :D

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »
OK, cutting the risers perfectly is a pain in the ass. After having everything installed, the IDE board does not sit flush, which means I have to order more risers, which means...

SCREW THIS!

I'm going to write Amigakit and see if they can install this crap for me. I don't want to break anything, the IDE interface was expensive enough as it is.

Red or Black boot screens is all I'm getting.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 12:35:51 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;748407
OK, cutting the risers perfectly is a pain in the ass. After having everything installed, the IDE board does not sit flush, which means I have to order more risers, which means...

SCREW THIS!

I'm going to write Amigakit and see if they can install this crap for me. I don't want to break anything, the IDE interface was expensive enough as it is.

Red or Black boot screens is all I'm getting.

Is this where I can say 'I told ya it was a pain in the ass' or should I wait till later?

Seriously though, the only way to get this thing to work reliably is if you don't use the risers (which means ditching the Indivision AGA).   You also need to the think about the height of all that stuff, even without any risers the case only just closes.

If you can get your hands on an IdeFix Express you'll find it so much easier to install and you'll still get a pretty good transfer rate with that Apollo (4.5 MB/s+)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
I'm hoping Amigakit will do it for me and save me the stress. I'd imagine they know how to do all this right. They sold me both expansions, so...

Anyhow, you were TOTALLY correct sir! I don't like it!

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 04:21:56 AM »
Everything fits here and I can close desktop A1200.

FastATA / Bvision / Indivision.

What makes a big difference is the motherboard socket which lowers the FastATA which in turn let's you close desktop without problems. (Stacked round pin sockets).

NOTE: using just one set of flat pin sockets with two round pin sockets is enough to stop keyboard lying flat in desktop which can stop desktop cover from closing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:35:32 AM by delshay »
-------------
power is nothing without control

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
Quote from: delshay;748421

What makes a big difference is the motherboard socket which lowers the FastATA which in turn let's you close desktop without problems. (Stacked round pin sockets).

NOTE: using just one set of flat pin sockets with two round pin sockets is enough to stop keyboard lying flat in desktop which can stop desktop cover from closing.

If I could find someone to cut me some risers that fit PERFECTLY , then maybe this would work. On my own, I can't seem to pull it off and I can't just keep ordering risers to experiment over and over again till I get it right.

Amigakit should provide pre-cut risers. This is annoying! THe pins are fragile, could break at any time, money down the drain, etc. Poor service!

Offline Retrofan

• Show only replies by Retrofan
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »

Could you please post a photo?
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
Quote from: Retrofan;748440
Could you please post a photo?

Not at this time.

You don't need photos, just desolder the old motherboard sockets & replace with round pin sockets.

De-soldering the motherboard sockets can be difficult without damaging the motherboard so I would strongly recommend someone with very good soldering.

Do not take any chances with your motherboard get a expert (strongly advice).

The FastATA already has a set of round pin sockets look carefully you can remove it, in-fact it has two sets of round pin sockets one above and one below.
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
This was actually a piece of cake to install! There is absolutely no reason to replace the sockets on the A1200 motherboard! I just used the instructions here http://eab.abime.net/support-hardware/64319-troubleshooting-fastata-indivision.html You can get risers here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turned-Pin-Wire-Wrap-DIL-IC-Sockets-0-6in-40-Pin-/300970245163?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4613397c2b I measured the correct length on each end pin and drew a line with a thin marker across the row of pins - then I cut each pin with a pair of small side cutters - this created a knife edge & slightly elongated the sides of each pin to give a very snug fit. Pushed everything in and it works like a dream! I'll take some pics and post later. It's really easy - and I was half lit when I did mine! :pint:
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
I recut the pins, now the AMiga will boot and ask for a floppy, but it will not boot off the hard drive regardless if it is connected to the FastATA or directly onto the mother board.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »
Hold down the left mouse button at startup (or right - I can't remember) and set the PIO mode to PIO3 and it should boot. I can't remember exactly how I got the software installed but I think it was after I did that. The highest PIO mode I can achieve with a CF card is 3. You can probably get a higher PIO mode with a speedy REAL HDD. SysInfo V.4 reports a speed of 3,409,926 BYTES/SEC at PIO3 with my AmigaKit 4GB CF Card.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:06:08 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

I had the same setup before with out issues + delfina and a quad port + subway ... Just used ricers provided by elbox. Dont know if i used 2 or 4 cant remember ..
A1200 ACA 1230

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »
HOlding down both mouse buttons tells me there is no hard drive. I tested it in my other 1200 and it still detects it, which tells me that the FastATA is preventing it from detecting without drivers, and that I can not hook the hard drive directly to the board anymore with the FastATA attached.
 Surely I don't wish to remove it again and reseat the Kickstart roms. I nearly broke a couple legs putting all this together in the first place.

I presume the installations instructions should have read "install software first?"

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
Nope, dont' install software 1st. I just checked and you have to hold down JUST the left mouse button at startup. It brings up the Elbox menu.

Holding down BOTH mouse buttons probably will show NO HDD 'cause you're going thru a new controller - you MUST get the PIO mode set - probably 3.

One time I set my PIO mode too high and could no longer boot from HDD so I just kept holding the left mouse button at startup and after about 15 times I got to the Elbox menu. If all is good with the install, be persistent with the left mouse button! :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 20, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;748462
Nope, dont' install software 1st. I just checked and you have to hold down JUST the left mouse button at startup. It brings up the Elbox menu.

Holding down BOTH mouse buttons probably will show NO HDD 'cause you're going thru a new controller - you MUST get the PIO mode set - probably 3.

One time I set my PIO mode too high and could no longer boot from HDD so I just kept holding the left mouse button at startup and after about 15 times I got to the Elbox menu. If all is good with the install, be persistent with the left mouse button! :)

OK, I tried JUST the left mouse button.

Brings me to the screen asking for my WB3.1 disk.