Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Imagine this for the 1200, but without a tower...  (Read 3272 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Imagine this for the 1200, but without a tower...
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
http://youtu.be/9jeKYpqGVBA

First look: ATi Radeon 9200 on Atari Falcon 060 (ct63/ctpci)

I have nothing but lust for that project!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Imagine this for the 1200, but without a tower...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
I think that its quite poorly executed.   I understand its not a tower system.  But it took forever to boot the card.   The drivers looked poor.   MEdiator etc much much better solution on the miggy
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Quote from: JJ;639338
I think that its quite poorly executed.   I understand its not a tower system.  But it took forever to boot the card.   The drivers looked poor.   MEdiator etc much much better solution on the miggy

??

It took roughly 10 seconds for the x86 emulator to run the VGA BIOS, not shabby at all.

68k AROS running on that baby would be a thing to behold! :D
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:06 AM »
That's what I'm saying! And internal Video Card for the 1200/600 with 3D Acceleration would be the cat's meow!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline smf

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:44:31 AM »
Cool project! the atari scene has some really great hardware gurus

Offline psxphill

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;639346
It took roughly 10 seconds for the x86 emulator to run the VGA BIOS, not shabby at all.

That is quite slow, but it should be possible to optimise that by doing a caching recompiler.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Also where the Fing hell would that stuff fit in an A600 or A1200 ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:47 AM »
Quote from: JJ;639926

In the desktop behind it apparently. ;)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
Quote from: Brian;639937
In the desktop behind it apparently. ;)

Thats a TT case that he has put the falcon into, you can fit it in a falcon case too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jthnP7wMY

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »
I always found the ST about as much fun as a proctology exam from the users end, but man it's cool to see guys on the other side of the fences still pushing the hardware and keeping the beasts breathing.  Nice stuff!  Isn't a day that goes by that I don't have a lot of respect for guys doing projects like this, and like Minimig/FPGA, Natami.  The "new gen" PPC Amiga's are the easy stuff when you stack it against the efforts of all these guys breathing air into the lungs of the old classics in their particular implementations of choice.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »
Quote from: JJ;639926

I'd imagine that there would be a way to fit and mount the card inside the unit somewhere. We would not have to use this particular model, in fact maybe a Mini desktop GFX card would be a better choice. It would have to lay on it's side and prolly take up space on the back left or back right of the system, then you'd prolly have to run a cable form the VGA out to a custom made spot for a connector on the side of the Amiga's case. That is assuming someone could design an internal PCI slot and drivers for the Amiga in the first place. It would be so nice to have something more than an internal Flicker Fixer.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;640740
It would have to lay on it's side and prolly take up space on the back left or back right of the system, then you'd prolly have to run a cable form the VGA out to a custom made spot for a connector on the side of the Amiga's case.

The a1200 has a place at the back for cables to come out of, there is also plenty space as long as you don't have a 3 1/2" hard disk drive in there.

The problem is going to be attaching the card, because realistically only the trapdoor slot is anywhere near capable of driving it and that is going to be in use on any machine that you'd want to fit this to.