Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How is begun your adventure with Amiga?  (Read 3271 times)

Description:

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show all replies
Re: How is begun your adventure with Amiga?
« on: April 11, 2003, 02:39:39 AM »
Hey everyone,

Well for me, I think something bizzare happened to me in the early 1990s, kind of a biological clock thing. The two coolest things of the early nineties were the Amiga and (the best band ever) Nirvana. They both made some kind of impression on me that I wouldn't fully realise until 1998, when I got 'Nevermind' second hand, and sold my bike for an old 1.3 A500.

As far as I knew at this point, no-one cared about the Amiga. Then I happened across a newsagents which stocked CU Amiga (remember when they used to do that? Now it's even hard to find Mac magazines), it was the issue with the first Doom port on the coverdisks.

I bought it despite the fact that my A500 couldn't possibly run Doom and I was amazed by what I saw - Amigas in towers, with nice big hard disk drives,  the big-box Amigas (I had no idea they existed!).

Well I bought an old temperamental GVP HD8+ from some lovable psycho down the road who happened to have one in the loft, but eventually my dad bought me my A1200  from an old friend in Scarborough (who interestingly enough also liked Nirvana... oooh it's spooookeeeeee *cough*), for which I bought a 750MB HDD, Power Typhoon (right after they changed the specs and made it crap  :-( ), nabbed a spare 8mb simm from work and.....

uh, that's it. My Amiga is sadly tucked away in the dresser drawer (try fitting a PC in there :-)) 'cause this PC takes up all the deskspace. It was a simple matter of economics - and so I have to put up with Wintel until I can afford to invest in something PPC based :-)

I'm actually pretty fond of my PC. I think it's the brilliantly designed case more than the OS somehow though, since I keep running back to UAE now and then with my tail between my legs. But how I hark after those days of Hi-Res Interlace  :-D