Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Booting Amiga 1200 off Compact Flash?  (Read 999 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Booting Amiga 1200 off Compact Flash?
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:59:52 PM »
I just ordered one of these for about $6.00 after shipping, I've not gotten it in yet, but I was interested to see if the Amiga 1200 could boot off it, has anyone else tried this?

http://search.ebay.com/IDE-HARD-DRIVE-TO-CF_W0QQfromZR40
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
Re: Booting Amiga 1200 off Compact Flash?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:05:20 PM »
@XDelusion

Yes, I tried it with my A600, and it works great!
It should also work with an A1200.

:-)

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:21:34 PM »
Of cource it will play!!!
I have it on my A600 as a slave HD. I tried booting from it since it works like a regular HD but pretty much faster and quiter.
The only bad thing is the limited write cycles that the CF disks have. I wouldn't recommend of using the CF as a main HD especially if you use your amiga a lot cause after a while you will experience problems and maybe data loss if your miggy crashes. It's perfect though for file transfer with your main PC using UAE!!!
I total recommend it
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:37:37 AM »
Works great on an A1200.  It's so quiet you'll swear your using a floppy only machine!  If the CF adaptor is a 3.5" one you'll probably need to take power off of the floppy connector to power the drive.  Make sure you get the wires correct though.
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 05:41:26 AM »
So how many times can you write to a CF card? I don't use my Amiga much except for musick and that's about it...

...till I get an Amiga 1 or better.

So far it all sounds just like I dreamed!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:46:21 AM »

Argus wrote:
(...)  It's so quiet you'll swear your using a floppy only machine!  
(...)

Ah, you mean it only goes crrrKLAK Kruiiiiik bzbzt-click bzbzt-click, how kewl :)

OK, I'm out. ;-)

[edit] :idea: Hey, here @work I recently got this (well two of them complete w/ accessories) old VAIO from the scrapheap (must have cost arm&a leg at the time, big companies are a waiste of money) it's a really MINI-laptop (P166MMX, please don't comment on that) that indeed is very useable under Beatrix Linux, but my point is this : It comes with a very small xternal (Model PCGA-CD5) CD-player, that hooks to it via a (PCGA-PC5) PCMCIA card. I wonder if it would work in a 1200... Reminds me of the Archos PCMCIA CD drives that used to be advertised in the good times where you got to choose between 10 Amiga 'zines  :boohoo:

Could be reaaly cool to have a portable CD player for my 1200... Fact is, cool is not the word, not hot enough, I'm gonna try it tonight. Plug the thing, turn it on, and turn my 1200 on. What bad could happen ?

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »
@xaccrocheur

I find the Chinon floppies in the A1200 are the quietest.

Regarding pcmcia cdrom drives, you're probably going to have to write a driver for it.
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...