Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mai Excited about Validation!  (Read 7109 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show all replies
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: Mai Excited about Validation!
« on: February 25, 2003, 12:27:12 AM »
This is called real old fashioned journalism. When is the last time you contributed something? It's easy to bash, but hard to be productive.

I will bring up something here as well.  IBM cares entirely about the level of compatability with it's chips, that is the 750 series of PowerPC.  If Mai is prooven to have a shortcoming with the 74xx series from Motorola, what does this mean to IBM?

Flat out, nothing.  Motorola and IBM are competitors in the marketplace, and if a northbridge runs fine on an IBM chip and doesn't run well on a Motorola, IBM just sits back and laughs.

The claims by Mr. Buck were focused on 1 chip family and 1 chip family alone, Motorola's 74xx series, also called the "G4".  Even if Mai was awarded the "best to run with IBM Processors" medal of honor, we're talking two different processor families.  Where one family can flounder on a northbridge, another can soar.

Maybe this is what Bill was referring to all along?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline downix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 02:00:47 AM »
@Mike_B

I'm with redluma here, you are behaving very inappropriately considering that Targhan did his research and backed it up.  He drew a conclusion, based on the evidence he uncovered, and delivered it in a concise and proper reporting method.

Now stop behaving so badly.  If you don't have something nice to say, don't hit Post Comment.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline downix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 04:45:49 AM »
IBM G3 and G4s.

To note, IBM only makes the 740 and 750 series (G3) processors.  Only Motorola makes the 74xx series (G4) processors.

Offline downix

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 05:04:05 AM »
This article was probalby born out of some recent A1 vs. Pegasos, Gensi slamming MAI discussion where people were actually saying that MAI northbridges were IBM certified.

This was in the Pegasos II thread, to be exact.  I'll admit, I am extremely hard on Mai, but I also work for Genesi and I have good reason to be extremely harsh with them.  

I also have been the one pushing both sides to put the issues of performance to rest by using an independent benchmark.  I finally convinced Mr. Buck on it, but it's convincing the other side I'm having less and less luck with.  I've even solicited help from some Linux kernel hackers to find the right benchmarks in order to demonstrate system bugs (which is Genesi's claims) as well as to back-up the claim that the A1 w/ G4 is as fast as a Pentium 4, which has been claimed in more than one thread here.

Yes, I would rather put it to the test than continue this vicious mudslinging.

Offline downix

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 04:07:31 PM »
@MarkTime

The thing is, if a similar article were to delve into, say, DCE, Genesi or MorphOS, these same people lambasting it would be praising it.  That is what I call hypocracy.

As for me, I work for Genesi so of course I will attempt to deflect any criticism of my company.  I'd highly suggest to the critics here to deflect or even better post counter-arguements to the points raised here rather than attack the person that posted them.  Heck, I brought up a counter-arguement to the article, and I have every incentive not to.