Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mai Excited about Validation!  (Read 7004 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Mai Excited about Validation!
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2003, 02:28:13 AM »
Reread his article. It's not purely about MAI or deception (well, in as much as marketing is deception). It's about "the process" behind all these logos, emblems, stickers (Microsoft certified, Ready for IBM, SUN approved, etc.)
He's not saying MAI's products are ####e. He's saying it is what it is. The MAI release about being Ready for IBM verified is just "Yup, it's compatable. Your stuff works with our stuff". Even though the MAI press release seems to make it look abit more than that. It's PR, It's Marketing. Making your product look better than everyone else's, It's washing and polishing that rusty old bike to get someone to buy it. Not that the bike isn't perfectly funtionaly, it just doesn't look as good as the rest til you spiff it up abit.
This article was probalby born out of some recent A1 vs. Pegasos, Gensi slamming MAI discussion where people were actually saying that MAI northbridges were IBM certified.

Offline Argo

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2003, 02:31:11 AM »
Corrected how? He's just saying that people should read marketing, press releases, company website, etc. abit more carefully. That the MAI press release is just a statement of our northbridges are compatable with IBM G3 and G4 processors, nothing more. Some people have been making more of this press release than what it is. That's all.

Offline Argo

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2003, 02:42:43 AM »
Herewegoagain:
"Genesi's marketing hype. They post pages long hype all the time as news"

No they don't, They never or rarely post anything as news. BBRV always post is marketiod diatribes in ther forums. So, he gets more exposure. Simply just don't read them then.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2003, 02:42:48 AM »
This article was probalby born out of some recent A1 vs. Pegasos, Gensi slamming MAI discussion where people were actually saying that MAI northbridges were IBM certified.

Oh I know exactly where it came from.  And I wasn't slamming Pegasos or Genesi, but stating the obvious to those who were bashing MAI and making accusations about the Articia being so buggy that they were having to redesign the Pegasos using another chip.   I was the one that Downix told he didn't ever want to hear about their certification again.

A certification is just as valid as running around posting a "news" article every few days about a "new exciting prospect that we are about to get, and you will soon see".  In fact, I put more clout in a certification than all the fluff that BBRV spews out here on a regular basis.  

They had no more arguments about how bad the Articia was, so they set out to "debunk" the certifications.  I could care less.  The certifications still stand.  You read it ever how you want it.  They are there and VALID.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2003, 02:55:15 AM »
No they don't, They never or rarely post anything as news.

LOL!!! I don't know what world you are living in, just look at the last 10 news items.  Browse back a bit and you'll see more.  And you want to talk about hype with marketing.  Just look at how Genesi are going on and on about things like "The Phoenix partnership" and such, to make it look like that they are much more important than they are.  But nobody takes offense to that and writes a whole 5 page rant about it.  I was trying to keep an open mind about the whole Pegasos and Morphos idea, because it was looking pretty good.  But these last two days have made me realise why it was that I was waiting on OS4 and AmigaOne to begin with.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2003, 02:57:54 AM »
You mean the same way you saw the future of gfx

And what kind of future have you seen Zacman.  The Parhelia is still a very nice card, even if it's not the top FPS for gamers.

Offline Madgun68

• Show only replies by Madgun68
    • http://home.comcast.net/~madgun1968
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2003, 03:10:38 AM »
I'm with redluma here, you are behaving very inappropriately considering that Targhan did his research and backed it up. He drew a conclusion, based on the evidence he uncovered, and delivered it in a concise and proper reporting method.

Wasabi was quoted as saying "companies need to prove that their technology is validated"

and

"This validation generally occurs as part of a side transaction between IBM and third-party vender"

What kind of proof? What occurs during this "side transaction?" Without knowing the details of either, how can one conclude that Mai's "..statements they make in their press release is more of spin.."

"may have just been a requirement for them to supply some of their chips to IBM"

MAY HAVE? I don't think anything more needs to be said after that.

Offline Argo

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2003, 03:11:00 AM »
Herewegoagain:

Erg, It's not a Certification or at least not called that. IBM calls there Ready for IBM a valadation of compatbility.
In my mind, a Certification would be a set of validations, tested  and passed as to meet a set of standards.
The hole punching in the press release comes form it just being a statement of compatability and in no way states the the MAI product is bug free or how well it funtions, only stating that it does function with IBM G3 and G4s.
One of the things in the article I would have liked to have seen was what is this rigous validation process that is mentioned. Are products submitted to IBM? (doesn't seem to be according to the end of the article, only that IBM verifys the results) Does the company seeking Ready for IBM status make up their own validation of compatability process or are they given guidlines/procedures from IBM?

Offline Argo

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2003, 03:20:17 AM »
Herewegoagain:
" just look at the last 10 news items"

Sorry, I'm unfamilar with Gensi personell. Are the posters of those news articles Gensi employees or MorphOS supporters?   I was actually referring to postings by BBRV, who rarely posts anything as news.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2003, 04:02:06 AM »
@Targhan

"MAI Logic has successfully developed optimized supporting devices and reference designs for PowerPCTM microprocessor application platforms which have passed a rigorous PowerPCTM compatibility validation testing process by IBM Microelectronics labs," said Lisa Su, Director of PowerPCTM and emerging products, IBM Microelectronics.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2003, 04:17:31 AM »
@Hammer
I have seen this same quote posted to various sites at least ten times. never has there been any link to original nor any other explanation of it's meaning. So?

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2003, 04:22:43 AM »
@JoannaK
What does Ms Su say in regards to MAI's products?

The issue of the original source can be obtained from  Ms Su herself.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2003, 04:43:14 AM »
@hammer
Did you ever though that you have just received standard reply to all  inquries concerning  their partners and that person most likely have not even seen these Mai  products in real life? Go, ask, I'll wait.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2003, 04:45:49 AM »
IBM G3 and G4s.

To note, IBM only makes the 740 and 750 series (G3) processors.  Only Motorola makes the 74xx series (G4) processors.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2003, 05:04:05 AM »

This was in the Pegasos II thread, to be exact.  I'll admit, I am extremely hard on Mai, but I also work for Genesi and I have good reason to be extremely harsh with them.  

I also have been the one pushing both sides to put the issues of performance to rest by using an independent benchmark.  I finally convinced Mr. Buck on it, but it's convincing the other side I'm having less and less luck with.  I've even solicited help from some Linux kernel hackers to find the right benchmarks in order to demonstrate system bugs (which is Genesi's claims) as well as to back-up the claim that the A1 w/ G4 is as fast as a Pentium 4, which has been claimed in more than one thread here.

Yes, I would rather put it to the test than continue this vicious mudslinging.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Ivan

• Show only replies by Ivan
    • http://www.mnsi.net/~ivan/index.html
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 25, 2003, 05:07:28 AM »
You people really need to lighten up.

Targhan, you restated a long known fact (well, at least to me) about business as usuall in this day and age. Businesses like to spin up thier products. Maybe more people should post things like this (everywhere in the world, not just in Amigaville). I dont care who you used as an example, you stated your intent or 'agenda' (if any) in the opening paragraphs, "Truth in advertizing". I give you credit the same as Ben Hermans did, nice research. I wish more people would post rather than fight some agenda. Truth is, business does make alot of noise about thier products. Thats called marketing, if your interested in the details of thier IBM certification and what MAI really does offer in a chipset then contact MAI and IBM yourselves and find out. If you didn't have a clue about marketing practices these days, well now you do.

The rest of you, oh man your a sad bunch. JoannaK has nothing better to do than try and make an argument off topic with Ben Hermans (we dont care what you think of him), Paul_Gadd is his usuall 'crap on everything' self (go away, your polluting the threads), others cry it's not news cuz i already knew (then shut up if you have nothing to contribute), just to name a few. Grow up people. Your lucky i'm not a moderator here or i'd have cut 30 responses to this item by now.

It was a good read Targhan, thanks. :)

Ivan