Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Linux is Not for You!  (Read 7284 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show all replies
Why Linux is Not for You!
« on: April 18, 2003, 04:31:08 AM »

• Show all replies
Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 01:30:24 AM »
TBH: linux is certainly not for beginers, but its not imposible to learn

overall i do like linux, but for beginers and people who dont care to learn too much about computers its not perfect.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 02:44:23 AM »

jeffimix wrote:
Anyone here want to help me get  a small Linux distro running on my IBM 300GL. right now it has DR DOS 7.03 on it. I've used Redhat on it (5.0) and it was too slow. which is why I want a small version of linux, but itm ust at the same time be X11 capable (or thereabouts) and not to hard to use, quirks are alright, but not major ones. But seriously, the 300GL is all heck to put Linux on, theres no proper support for that pc.

which cpu?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 05:40:15 AM »
smerf,

hows it going?

I like this discussion, I have been using linux for the past 3 years on a Amiga 3000 and on various different pc platforms. My favorite is Mandrake, then Redhat and then (look out) Lindows. Of all the ones I used Lindows is the fastest to install and the easiest to use, but it don't come with anything. Mandrake is the most powerful and gives the most for your time. Redhat is easier to install programs with with their RPM pack.

yes, it has been a rather sensible discussion! no: "but, you shouldnt use linux because its not as good as amigaOS" type crap
i prefer Mandrake - never used Lindows & Red hat doest work on my machine now, for some reason :(

Been using windows for the past 3 years and my vote goes for Windows 2000. Windows 95 is the crash bash, and Windows 98 is the big freeze. Windows 3.1 I gave up on 5 years ago.

im fine with 98, i only use it as a games machine anyway!
Now yes linux is not for everyone, but then again neither was Amiga dos, I never could understand why I had to type in DF0: instead of A:

yes, the worst part about linux for begginers is mounting volumes and adding new hardware - its not quite as automatic as even windows is these days

as others have mentioned up there /\, A: has no meaning - especialy to a begginer! df0: does have meaning
its only 2 extra characters
i dont know how you would do this for FFS floppies, however, if you want, for harddrives you can use single letters, just dont use C: or L:
or how about format drive df0: name "this is to much typing"

it is a lot of typing, however, AmigaDOS was almost english! it was easy to remember what to type because they were mostly english words
Oh well, I still say that copy protection was the real culprit that killed Amiga, everyone bought hard drives and found out they couldn't put their favorite stuff on the hard drive because of copy protection. I have disk boxes full of Amiga disk games that I still have to use a disk drive for.

i hated the fact that the amiga always had an excellent 32-bit multitasking OS, but was virtually sold(and seen by most people) as a games machine
so as soon as you inserted the disk, the multitasking ended and most games didnt have a 'exit to dos' type function :(
that showed the majority of people that it wasnt a serious computer - im sure if they switched it on waited hours for it to boot and then were presented with a dos prompt they would of thought of it more seriously! and then it wouldof been more popular perhaps
but im getting a bit off topic now

all OS's have their uses.
and faults, pro's & con's
 :-)