Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 060's and cooling requirements  (Read 1756 times)

Description:

Offline Jope

Re: 060's and cooling requirements
« on: December 21, 2003, 10:31:37 AM »

artman wrote:
Has anyone ever had any experience with one of those solid state cooling devices such as are for sale by Jameco?  Sounds like all you do is connect them to a power source and they get cold, pretty cold too, from the specs in the catalog.

Peltiers go down to freezing temperatures, but the heat doesn't disappear - it goes to the other side of the peltier!

You need a beefy heatsink + fan to dissipate the transferred heat, or else the peltier will break.

So basically this method will cool (freeze :-) the CPU quite well, but in the end it'll be hotter than the bare 060. (depending on revision, of course..)

Both my 060s run just fine without heatsinks, they've only gotten warm a few times, but usually they run cool to the touch.

Edit: I just googled up a little info on peltier elements..

Basically these might aid in getting the CPU clocked higher.. I don't know if anyone has ever used this method in Amiga overclocking.

Offline Jope

Re: 060's and cooling requirements
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 08:01:41 PM »
Well, you can use heat conducting glue or heat conducting adhesive pads, but of course they don't conduct heat as well as thermal grease / silver paste and a spring clipped cooler element.