Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OT: Men of Valor: Vietnam - wowowow  (Read 2524 times)

Description:

Offline Glaucus

• Show all replies
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: OT: Men of Valor: Vietnam - wowowow
« on: February 19, 2003, 05:30:27 PM »
Hey guys,

So they're making a game called Men of Valour?  Are they sure they got the right war?!?  ;-)

Anyway, I'm a Battlefield 1942 addict which I think stomps all over MOH.  There's really nothing like swooping down with a light bomber and taking out an enemy tank on Wake Island or smashing through enemy lines with a Panzer IV in Tabruk or paratrooping down behind enemy lines in Market Garden or machine gunning endless beach stormers on Omaha Beach...  And the best part is that every other player is an actual human player online so you can coordinate attacks, call in artillery or air support, scream out for medics when you're hurt or rush to assist others with your bazooka.  Sometimes I get a kick out of just laying mine fields on bridges, other times I like to snipe plane campers or torpedo battleships....  It's great fun!!!

I do sometimes sit back and think of what this game is really about....  Is it right to make games that turn real life events of death and destruction into entertainment? Does it trivialize the misery that those people went through? Probably, I'd feel weird playing this game infront of a WWII vet, especially if they were at one of the main battles that a game like BF1942 tries to recreate.  Luckily most WWII vets are dead or dieing.  Vietnam vets are still around and thus might be more likely to complain - but then again they're probably used to being kicked around and treated like ####.

I do however wonder what people would think if I made a 9/11 simulator?  It's just a game right?  It's just entertainment isn't it? Somehow I don't think that would go over very well.  Oh well, I'll just stick with BF1942 and not worry about it...

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show all replies
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: OT: Men of Valor: Vietnam - wowowow
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 06:03:59 PM »
Yes the game will have some cool equipment, and the possibility of airstrikes (probably), but
as people have been saying it wasn`t a very clean war. Not that WWII was, but Vietnam was just
chaos. Drugged up Americans with M16s against civilians arms with kitchen knives and soup bowl. I`m
not sure I want this game.
Who knows, perhaps you get to run around as a gook, hiding out in rice fields waiting for the GI's to come and kill you?

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE