Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Lifetime Membership Special  (Read 3743 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Amiga.org Lifetime Membership Special
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;663868
Somebody (who exactly?) coughed up some $10,000 for buying this site quite easily, but is now asking for *change money* for the server space? I don't understand. Or was the idea to make this some kind of pay-service, to make it a *business* out of it? It won't work. Different levels of paid memberships, etc, yada, yada -- I'll tell you what: I have *already* been a member of this site during *the site's* whole lifetime (almost)! I understand why Wayne would ask for contributions to "the kitty" back then, but I must say the current site owner *does not* come through as some poor dude in need of charity, heck, I don't even have a clear picture who the guy is. And speaking of that, I feel there has been *many other question marks* rising surrounding amiga.org lately. To sum it up - I don't know For What I should pay, I don't know To Whom, and I don't really know Why, I simply don't get your "selling point", so I'll guess I'll pass, sorry...

The paid memerbship came in when Wayne was still running things though thats why I been paying a yearaly sub, was originally to support Wayne and the site.  When you put it like that.......
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »
Pretty short-sighted request in my opinion, or perhaps a sign of a site going belly up.  If you're having trouble paying the hosting bill, how will getting a chunk of your loyal membership to pay now for "lifetime memberships" help you going forward?

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
Well if TakeMeHomeGrandma is against it then I'm all for it.  I've just donated $30.

Honestly, this site is more "alternative Amiga sysytems" friendly than other sites, and I don't care if Bill Gates himself owns the site, if I'm using it then I'm willing to pay for it.

I know some people base their lives on getting "something for nothing", but Amiga hareware prices don't fit in with that attitude. :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;663953
Honestly, this site is more "alternative Amiga sysytems" friendly than other sites, and I don't care if Bill Gates himself owns the site, if I'm using it then I'm willing to pay for it.

...and this is the reason why I'm visiting the site less frequently than before.  All this C=USA stupidity makes my blood boil, so I decided it's best for my health to stay away.

But, as you see, I pop in every now and then anyways.  Just checking the temperature before running out the door again. ;)
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
Quote from: skurk;663954
...and this is the reason why I'm visiting the site less frequently than before.  All this C=USA stupidity makes my blood boil, so I decided it's best for my health to stay away.

But, as you see, I pop in every now and then anyways.  Just checking the temperature before running out the door again. ;)

LOL.

However we haven't had C=USA posting any of their stupidity for a couple of weeks now, so everything has been rosey.  FPGA Arcade production run about to shoot out the door, AROS builds coming all of the time, X500 (or 500X... whatever it is called) bundle launched, MOS update... and we still have the X1000 and Natami to look forward to.

This place is the only place that seems to cover everything on the front page.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the site owner making this offer.

Also, I don't understand why people who are unwilling to make the donation need to post their reasons not to.

It's a voluntary request, nobody is forced to pay. If you don't like this forum enough to donate then fine but no need to post negative comments about the form is there?

Offline tone007

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
Quote from: skurk;663954
...and this is the reason why I'm visiting the site less frequently than before.  All this C=USA stupidity makes my blood boil, so I decided it's best for my health to stay away  ;)

I haven't noticed any C=USA threads in quite a while.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;663973
I don't see anything wrong with the site owner making this offer.

Also, I don't understand why people who are unwilling to make the donation need to post their reasons not to.

It's a voluntary request, nobody is forced to pay. If you don't like this forum enough to donate then fine but no need to post negative comments about the form is there?

It's a forum .. doh!

and it's something worth discussing. the site has adverts and donations already, it's hosted on shared hosting (not expensive). the amount donated by people is unknown. the cost of hosting is unknown. the revenue from adverts is unknown, and as a forum the value of the site is comprised of the contributions of the users.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:31:35 PM by buzz »

guest8131

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »
@buzz

Very small text Ads make less than $100 every six months. Premium Members see no ads whatsoever.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
@buzz

Very small text Ads make less than $100 every six months. Premium Members see no ads whatsoever.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline buzz

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
Quote from: Transition;663998
@buzz

so ... how much is your hosting then? how much have you taken in donation and from membership fees?

Why are you not open about this, as you are asking for money fairly often, it might do well to be open about the costs and amounts you receive.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:43:49 PM by buzz »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:08 PM »
Will our membership continue onto the Spanish Lesbians site?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
@buzz

Donations have not covered hosting expensives thus far but are most appreciated. Donations of course are voluntary and not required. The minority most vocal against donations have never donated even $1. Premium Membership comes with most donations and gives additional site benefits.

Offline buzz

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 10:51:55 PM »
Quote from: Transition;664004
@buzz

Donations have not covered hosting expensives thus far but are most appreciated. Donations of course are voluntary and not required. The minority most vocal against donations have never donated even $1. Premium Membership comes with most donations and gives additional site benefits.

I do not believe your memberships + donations + adverts do not cover hosting costs (you are on shared hosting!). perhaps you include your time as expenses too. without you being open about actual figures, we will never know.

Not everyone thinks the users of a site should be responsible for paying for it and constantly asked about giving donations. bearing in mind, it is the contributions from the users that actually give this site any value at all.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:54:23 PM by buzz »

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
Quote from: Transition;663998
@buzz

You can make a very small null hosts file and you can do the same for free.

127.0.0.1  googleads.g.doubleclick.net

Say goodbye to embedded ads etc.

http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:04:05 PM by Boudicca »
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 18, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
Quote from: buzz;664005
I do not believe your memberships + donations + adverts do not cover hosting costs (you are on shared hosting!). perhaps you include your time as expenses too. without you being open about actual figures, we will never know.

Not everyone thinks the users of a site should be responsible for paying for it and constantly asked about giving donations. bearing in mind, it is the contributions from the users that actually give this site any value at all.

You're welcome to  believe anything you like, it does not change the facts though. Amiga.org does have some great user contributions and members. We maintain the hub that allows this to take place.