Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: adz to adf conversion  (Read 2754 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show all replies
adz to adf conversion
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
As I'm testing UAE4All on my new Nokia E75 (it was worth buying just because of that!), all games I can handle is adf games because of limitation of the software.

But adz is just a zipped adf.  Does anyone know the unzipping utility?  There must be one for sure.  But please, Win/Lin/OSX binary!

Thanks in advance.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

• Show all replies
Re: adz to adf conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;520639
Any ZIP/RAR/7Z utility should do that. If the program does not recognise the file, rename it to .adf.gz first.

The original tool is gzip. Don't know if there is a Windows binary, but every Linux distro contains it.

Thanks! That's what I thought actually, just needed to be sure.

I suppose any windows starting from XP can natively unzip files, also gzipped ones (with some exceptions).  Mac OS X has gunzip console command, also one might unzip files by double-clicking the file, just like in the windows case.

One more issue then, there's a silly need by UAE4All to have Kick.rom file prepared to have 512KB.  Unfortunately Cloanto's AF package has 256KB files.  I was told once here, by bloodline I guess that I should just clone and concatenate the file.  And it worked but now I forgot how I did it.

So from any user's perspective (Win/Lin/OSX), what's the easiest way to merge two files?  There is a cat Linux/OSX command but the file is binary, not sure if it leaves it unbroken...  And in Windows case... no idea.

Of course since I got the AF files, I can always get the p!rated 512K file hanging on the internet.  But that way is a silly one.  I want the solution, not a conditional workaround.

• Show all replies
Re: adz to adf conversion
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;520645
It's certainly binary safe, as anybody who has accidentally cat'ed a large binary file to stdout can attest ;)

Right! Many times did I manage to run the more/less command on a binary file :) Even the speaker makes sound then.  BTW d'ya know of any internet subculture of that kind of music which is encoded as a binary file and played through speakers while run by more command?

:lol:

A good test though.