Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint  (Read 10685 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:25:07 AM »
Quote from: IanP;778399
A-EON seem to have their fingers in a lot of pies, hardware development, Amiga community websites and now application development. I wonder if they'll be contracting out future software development or doing it in-house, I suspect the former.

Is your statement above meant as a positive comment on their dedication to our community, or a negative accusation?  I can't tell, but since there are a few other negative comments in this thread, it makes your comment also appear as a negative commentary on their efforts.

Not everyone will agree with all of the decisions made by A-Eon, and they don't have to, but what I don't understand is any complaints about A-Eon's efforts and involvement in the community.  Even if you don't agree with some of their choices, I think that all users should appreciate the fact that A-Eon is trying to make our community better, by investing time and money in many different aspects of our community.

I happen to agree that the highest priority to keep our community alive is the need for more and better software, now that all 4 camps appear to have sufficient hardware choices to run which ever OS you prefer.  If people don't agree with A-Eon's choices to help spur new development, and support existing programmers, then I wish they would suggest productive alternatives, instead of just spewing out negative criticism all the time, with no ideas of their own on what would be a better way to help create new software, or support our existing programmers.

Your comment may be completely neutral and innocent.  Some of our other members can't claim neutrality or innocence for their obvious attempts to tear down, or attack the efforts of well meaning supporters of our community.  You don't have to agree with everything that anyone else does or proposes, but constructive criticism, or alternative productive suggestions are better, and actual actions to make things better are best.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;778449
@trevordick:

Yes, that is good news about the ongoing development of it.

I had thought it was A-EON behind the removal, but my apologies to A-EON/Amigakit if Cloanto are actually the ones to blame. They must have done this to prop up sales of Amiga Forever. I already had a very low opinion of Cloanto's conduct, this just confirms that.

I can't believe what I am reading here.  I must be mistaken in thinking that you are the programmer who I donated a G4 MacMini MorphOS system to years ago, with the hopes that you would produce some useful software, or at least port some existing software of your own, or others, to the MorphOS platform.

I would think that as a programmer, you would support the right of other programmers to do what ever they want with their code, including trying to sell it in any way that they choose.

And then to accuse A-Eon of being greedy, or for destroying our community just makes me furious!  I doubt that Trevor Dickinson will ever make a single penny of profit from our community, after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars developing new hardware for those interested in running AmigaOS4.x on PPC computers, plus investing time and money in so many other ways to support programmers and others in our community, without even asking for any kind of return on his investments or donations in MOST cases.  If Trevor did not have such a thick skin and if he were not so dedicated to all parts of the Amiga community, unfounded attacks such as yours could have caused him to leave, or stop investing his time and money into our community.

I believe that even the members of our community who dislike the products currently available from A-Eon, or who dislike the decisions they have made on the direction they support AmigaOS4.x users (which is not the only part of the community they support), would agree that Trevor and A-Eon deserve some credit for at least attempting to do something, while so many others just complain and do nothing.

It is people who act like you just did Minuous, who make me sick, and wonder why anyone would act that way.  Like his products and services or not, and agree or disagree with his decisions on how to support our community, what gives you the right to ask him to leave our community and to accuse him falsely, as you have done?  You obviously don't know much of anything about the man!  I don't always agree with all of his decisions, but I have deep respect for his commitment and huge generosity toward so many different parts of our community.  I have lost 100% of the respect I used to have for you Minuous.

Moderators, please edit out anything I have written in anger that is not appropriate, or has broken any of our site rules (though I don't think I have).  :angry:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
Quote from: biggun;778470
I find it very good that the software is continued to be devleoped.

I find it very good that a guy like Andy is doing this

I also find it very good that he gets money for it.

I find it strange to old releases from Aminet are removed.

I don't know the reason(s) for removal from Aminet and feel exactly the same way as biggun just expressed his opinion.

Why can't more members express their views like biggun, without the FUD.  Some members here have to accuse A-Eon, or AmigaKit of lying about anything, or destroying the community, when both accusations are false.  They are also not trying to control anything, you vote with your wallet and choose to buy the products that A-Eon offers for sale, or you choose another path, but I see no reason for anyone to try to tear down and stop A-Eon from creating what ever they want for our community.  If it isn't what you want, make an alternative yourself and offer it to the community for sale, or for free, if you like.

Some members use any excuse to attack and spread false information about A-Eon and AmigaKit every time they disagree with anything they do or announce.  It is sad that they don't just promote their own vision of what should be done, or actually do something to show the community that their choices are the best, instead of constantly trying to tear down the actions of a few who are actively trying to do what they feel is good for the community.

Disagree as much as you like, but don't make false accusations, or spread lies about the intentions of people you don't know, just because you disagree with their actions or words.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;778468
You are too often on amiga.org and amigaworld.net

On both sites most people with different views have left and only certain people are left. I do not say the announcement that it will be available for free is wrong but I say they are at least not honest. They are always talking about the "community", that they just bought forum sites for the community only altruistic and at the same time clearly using their money for economic interests. They should at least admit that and not only marketing blabla. If you read the reactions outside the tiny AmigaOS world (f.e. german sites) the reactions are very different. Both Cloanto and Aeonkit have not done them any favor by it. They seem to have lost understanding of the community.

So now you are going to tell me how often I can express my own opinions here and at AmigaWorld.net?

If I go back the past 2 or 3 years, I would bet that you offer your opinions on either site more often than myself, but if you will look at most of my posts recently, you will see that I have defended member's rights to express their opinions, as long as they do it in a civil manner and do not break the rules of either site.

Moderators here are Amiga users too, and we also have our own opinions.  Just because we help out by moderating, does not mean we have to give up our right to express our own opinions.  Members with extreme attachments to their own view points who cannot get along with other people who have differing opinions, without attacking them, have either left, or have been asked to change the way they express their opinions, to stay within the posting rules.  If you are trying to imply that members have left either site because they don't like my opinions, or because I post too often, I think you are exaggerating my influence on those members.

Isn't it funny that some of the members who complain that AmigaKit and A-Eon have bought these sites to try to control the opinions and content that is posted in the forums, are the same users who often only want one side of an argument to be heard, and when anyone disagrees with their point of view, they attempt to scare or force them away.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:27:56 PM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:49:03 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;778434
>I never asked him to leave the community, I don't see where you are  getting this idea from.

I got it from you when you wrote the statements below.

Quote from: Minuous;778434
>...........Is it really so hard to see what's going on here!? They're wrecking not just the community and the file archives that the community has come to rely on. They are trying to gouge money out of users for ancient software. ..................... I wish they would leave our Amiga community alone and go sell crap to Mac users instead, ................... This is in addition to buying formerly independent sites and using them to censor discussion in the community, I haven't seen one action from them that could be described as a benefit to the Amiga community.

It's still available here: http://ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/mirrors/aminet/biz/cloan/PPaint.lha Get it while you can...

After writing all of the above and more, you claim that you haven't asked A-Eon to leave our community???

I think most people would disagree with your perception of what you have written and what you intentions really are.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:55:39 AM by amigadave »