Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint  (Read 10665 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
If I were a regular user of software, I'd much rather lose the ability to get it for free than have it stagnate and get old. I can't help but feel that if we want development of programs to continue or restart, we have to get rid of this "I want it but don't want to pay for it" psyche which seems so prevalent in Amiga circles these days.
I know it's nice to have free software, but I think it's nicer to have actively developed software at a small cost.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;778694
I did say I wished they would, not quite the same as asking them to, but I perhaps should have been clearer on that point. And it's only because they insist on inflicting this Apple-crap on us. AmiStore isn't something that was in any way necessary, and it has already resulted in files being removed without warning from OS4Depot and Aminet, I don't see how that is a good thing.

It's a good thing because it results in updates of software, and even new software like Sketchblock.
Not only is that a Good Thing, it's THE thing that is most sorely missed by all Amiga-like OSes and is absolutely pivotal to the continued survival of thoses OSes.

It doesn't matter how good OS4, MorphOS or AROS are if the only serious software available for it is 15 year old abandoned applications on the Aminet, or ports of software on mainstream OSes that run much better on those original platforms because they have so much more resources (s.g. CPU cores).

A-Eon are focusing on what the Amiga (all flavours) needs most - new content. So far the only cost of that is that one bunch of tools is now about £4 (for about 10 programs - a lot of work, anyway), and another program has to be downloaded from A-Eon's website instead of the Aminet.

And still people rage and complain rather than congratulate them for doing something that benefits all of us.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!