Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS dilemma  (Read 5796 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: OS dilemma or not
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
Quote from: pVC;769113
Can you give any practical examples?

I can't imagine myself how MorphOS wouldn't be as much Amiga as OS4 for example. Same directory structures, starup files, shell behaviour etc like on Amiga always... UI is even more configurable because it's MUI, which is also well known from Amiga. You can tune the system with same existing scripts, shell commands, devices, datatypes, libs, handlers etc...

Most parts of MorphOS are directly continuation from Amiga (MUI, TurboPrint, AHI, SFS, CGX, Poseidon, etc. I've used to use all those on my A1200 before MorphOS). And heck, Ambient is MUCH more configurable than WB ever was, even with the patches (and Ambient resemles those patches in many places). Window gagdets etc are the same like on Amiga, but also extended to have new (configurable) functionality like getting windows to full screen more easily and opening new screens for programs automatically etc. I just don't understand where the limitation would be?

And MorphOS more compatible with Amiga software than probably any other system (including real Amigas). Or which other system can run 68k, WarpOS and PowerUP software out of the box? And even some OS4 programs with 3rd party extension.

+1

All NG platforms (AROS, AmigaOS, MorphOS) share the same history, have a identical structure and so on. Differences are the desktop and sometimes used technologies (MUI versus Reaction, CGx versus P96, Poseidon versus the USB stack in AmigaOS and so on). There are of course differences in the inplementations (f.e. of the libraries). The most obvious difference is the desktop but even in the old days there were different desktops like original Workbench (3.1.), then 3.5 and 3.9, Scalos, Magellan. Nobody would have said that a Amiga with Scalos is no Amiga.

But perhaps a small idea... someone could create a tutorial how to make MorphOS as similar as possible to AmigaOS (including Ambient configuration) or a distribution with all preferences that can be easy installed.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;769138
@thread

this is getting off-topic, to say the least. please keep your replies going forward on the subject of MOS and themes for MOS as requested by the OP. yes, one poster was insulting, and was warned, and it hasn't happened since. so let's let bygones be bygones. if you can't help yourself from being snarky, take it to PM.

thank you. :)

-- eliyahu

this is going in the typical direction :)

@thread

Why not someone using both MorphOS and AmigaOS makes a tutorial how to configure MorphOS to make it work and look like AmigaOS? I think there is more than one who would start to use it then.

And of course explaining differences where necessary

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;769136
You have the MOS: assign and stuff, it might be confusing where put libraries.

So if you don't like MUI, original AmigaOS 3.x uses Gadtools.
AmigaOS3.5/3.9 uses reaction.
Some who has only used a Amiga 500 / Workbench 1.2 will most likely not know what MUI is.

None of this are bundled with AmigaOS 3.x, most people don't have USB on classic Amiga, and True colors, sure some one who has spent a lot of money on upgrades maybe.

Became a part of AmigaOS 3.5/3.9, it was not part of AmigaOS 3.1, some one who has not used Amiga in few years might find it strange to configure.

Some people like Dopus5 and some don't, this is about individual taste, we do not all like the same thing, for the most part I like to use workbench because I feel I have better control when dragging icons around. Besides I see all buttons as clutter on the screen, when just want to start and find some thing.

How well does it support OCS/AGA games :-)

BTW what are you talking about? If you read his first post carefully it is obvious that he uses AOS4 and MorphOS and prefers MorphOS because of hardware detection but prefers AmigaOS because of look&feel and wants MorphOS to look&feel like AmigaOS. It has nothing to do with 3.1. and which technology is there (or not). Besides you seem to have wrong impressions of what is available on 68k.

He has: "A1200T 060@80MHz | A500 Plus 030@25MHz | Pegasos II G4@1GHz"

What you write is also true for AOS4. How many ECS games work there? (without UAE)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:23:20 PM by OlafS3 »