Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lack of software?  (Read 5138 times)

Description:

Offline vic20ownerTopic starter

• Show only replies by vic20owner
Lack of software?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:40 AM »
Well, I almost registered MorphOs tonight but I decided to search to see what type of applications were available. You know mail readers, dev environments, games,etc.

So while searching for a "muple desktop" app, all I can find is a program which has eyes to follow my mouse pointer :|  Then for games I find Doom.  Uh, I downloaded morphos to get AWAY from the 90s...  so now I am a bit confused. I can't find much for apps... there are some amiga programs but many I have tried have not worked (except some of the more OS standard ones).  

I dunno... I am at a loss here.  I am considering re-installing OSX on this mac mini because there is more useful software available... but I do like the quickness and simplicity of MorphOs, and that it runs Amiga software... but I can't find much of any modern software aside from OWB and YAM.
Amiga 1200 030/50mhz 64MB Fast Ram 20GB HD
DTCV, S-Video hack, 1084S-D1, PCMCIA Wireless

Offline matt3k

Re: Lack of software?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:16:17 AM »
Hi Vic20,

I have been a long time user of MOS, and recently picked up a Powerbook to run 3.0.

I almost exclusively use MOS for all computing functions, it does have lots of decent native applications (modern software).  Start at morphzone.org and visit the downloads to start.

OWB is a real treat, on MOS it is the best browser experience on any Amiga system.  I prefer simple mail to YAM.  I useRemote Desktop (MOS Remote Desktop runs much better then the Mac ones), Organizer, and some games.  RTCW is pretty sweet, should be nice on a mini.  Mplayer will play anything that it will play on OSX, much faster from what I have heard also.

The PC is still going to have the games, they have the gpu horsepower and the engines.  

I like the xbmc media center and having safari.  Other than that, not greatly impressed with OSX yet, it is to slow on my PB 1.67 with an SSD.

Check out the ultimate pack for MOS also...

Offline Cammy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:14 AM »
I am sorry, I guess this is my fault. As an Amiga user it is my responsibility to use and support existing developments as well as learn to develop new Amiga/MorphOS software myself. But I have taken too long to learn how to program and so there is hardly any new software for MorphOS. There is no one else to blame for the lack of software but ourselves.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:23:15 AM by Cammy »
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:09:09 AM »
Quote from: vic20owner;677072
Then for games I find Doom.  Uh, I downloaded morphos to get AWAY from the 90s...
Then what are you doing with Amiga related things? Best way to get away from the 90s is to use a peecee.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »
Quote from: vic20owner;677072

So while searching for a "muple desktop" app, all I can find is a program which has eyes to follow my mouse pointer :|

And what did you expect to find while searching for "muple" ????
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline hishamk

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:25:49 AM »
Think of it this way: the lack of software is one of the cool things that makes MorphOS (or AmigaOS) such a compelling hobby platform nowadays. You get the opportunity to develop and contribute your own unique apps for the platform.

While mainstream platforms have a glut of apps/utilities for one solution (such as window or desktop management apps), on MorphOS you can be the first to develop a solution and to help further the platform. There's fun in that, lots of it if you've got the time for it.
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »
On the Amiga systems, the lack of software is not a problem.
There are thousands of applications, games, commodities and utilities.

The problem is that the software is most of the time outdated and antiquated. You are not used to such old programs. But imagine if we were 2001, you just bought your MorphOS machine and what software and games you would install and play on it?

Check Aminet and you will find many software titles that will suit many 2001-era computing needs.

If you want to use the Amiga system for more modern stuff, you have to develop the software by yourself or port it from other platforms.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
I agree, too little software for MorphOS and too many aggressive MorphOS users ready to attack you and me for anything we say.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:40:01 AM »
Next time search your interesting software before register it... and if you dont want to back to 90s use a pc.
a1200 060

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;718984
I agree, too little software for MorphOS and too many aggressive MorphOS users ready to attack you and me for anything we say.

OK here is some attacking at you: You dug up this sleeping, almost one-year-old thread with the sole purpose of making this "positive" remark? This was your contribution to improve the situation?

Really?

:rolleyes:

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;718984

Are you a thread-necromancer? I disagree with you as there's quite a lot of amiga software and there are more or less the same titles as in OS4.

BTW, stop being paranoid, no one attacked you. It looks like you are trying to be attacked to justify whatever agenda you have.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
Quote from: Crumb;719009
Are you a thread-necromancer? I disagree with you as there's quite a lot of amiga software and there are more or less the same titles as in OS4.

BTW, stop being paranoid, no one attacked you. It looks like you are trying to be attacked to justify whatever agenda you have.

Agree, and if you aren't into Amiga software, then question is why you are here at all...?

:confused:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
@takemehomegrandma / @crumb

guys, cool it.  no one is attacking anyone and there's no need to be defensive.  let's keep it that way.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
I think truthfully in MorphOS,there is a lack of modern native apps, but you can run any classic amiga system friendly apps. (there is alot more than you think) MorphOS does also have the best modern browser.

You can also run anything amiga via emulation, I hear it can handle most things. (games, demos etc very well even on 1.0ghz range hardware)

Is there dosbox for morphos? I think so and so there is tens of thousands of dos games and apps there to run on your system.

There is a c64 emulator also if your really a commodore fan.

I think you'll always need a windows computer for work/school/whatever, but its nice to have a fun computer next to it for games, creative projects, and more.
I'd like a mac mini for this and morphOS - someday... But I've been saying someday for awhile.

All Amiga next gen OS systems really need 1) Audio editors, multimedia rippers, converters, 2) Video editing programs 3) Games that are not just linux ports
4) Productivity apps (office, pdf writer, budget,spreadsheet, more)  5) More creative apps
like 3d font renderers, web editors, animation programs, ray tracing, and more.

Of course, linux also needs many of these things, but to a lesser extent, I guess because its been around long enough to reach a level of maturity of apps available.  I hope All next
gen systems will continue to mature with more to offer.

There is a big move on linux right now of games games games now, its nice to see.
Weaknesses of a system getting addressed is always cool to see. I hope there will be more amiga next gen apps and games. Limited budgets, limited developers, its not a good
environment or atmosphere to encourage development.