Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS  (Read 7642 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »
@Pyromania

Great.  Maybe you and the MOS devs can port it to PPC Macs for MOS?

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 06:22:12 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;582914
@Pyromania

Great.  Maybe you and the MOS devs can port it to PPC Macs for MOS?

You were joking or being sarcastic right? FCS 3 is Apple's intellectual property and they would have to port it to MorphOS.

:)

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Offline Yomgui

• Show only replies by Yomgui
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
Hello everyone. It's my first post on a.org! cool  :drink:

(...) even Apple is dropping support for it (ndr: the Firewire) (...)
Apple has not removed any software or hardware supports.
Even thirdparties applications also (all video sw support Apple FW).
See the latest MacMini : it's supposed to be the low-end of Apple's computer and have everything

http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/features_portdiagram_20100615.jpg

Only constructors of "media for the mass" want to bury it, due to the simple reason of the extra cost of a 1394 bridge in the HW design.
Furthermore, supporting 2 kinds of external ports is really a mess for some devices... and specially when purpose is the same (I don't care about efficiency here). See the removal of FW port inside the iPod serie for ex.

Then second reason: USB is an Intel idea, the one that drives modern computer designs. It's normal that they don't want seeing FW dominate the market.

Dead-end OS on dead-end hardware
:laughing: I've also a good sens of humour.. I'm going to demonstrate it:

Btw - USB3 is here now.
Good! Just need to wait 20 years and maybe have an OS4.56 support :mickeymouse:
... or not

(...) less camera capabilities than my cellphone (...)
What're missing camera capabilities?
For sure FW cameras are not designed to be a phone!

Final notes:
I'm really proud to have make this stack. Now MorphOS has it. Used or not... It has it, it works. What else?

Now I think I'll work on a simple video editor (something less complex than Blender).

Note: Blender 2.52 on Mos works now to edit and save videos. I've just to sync the code because my current svn sync uses an old FFMPEG api.

Offline TNovosel

• Show only replies by TNovosel
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 01:22:31 PM »
Great work Yomgui. Thank you for your hard work on Firewire support and new Blender fixes.
A4000PPC,A1200PPCx2,A1240,A1230x2,A500x4,MacMini+MOS

Offline Yomgui

• Show only replies by Yomgui
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
I think that "low-resolution" Red cameras (http://www.red.com/cameras/tech_specs/) are not able to reach current smartphones...
...yes with FW 800/400.

:biglaugh:

And About USB3.0: currently I know only 1 USB3.0 camera on the market,  this one is the Flea3 by Point Grey. This manufacture is also well known  for his good FW cameras.

I don't want to start a USB3 vs Firewire S3200 war. But don't forget  even if USB3.0 has more manufacturers in his side, this one doens't have  any well designed and normalized software protocols like the existing  IIDC on Firewire.
I let you read this annouce (end of 2009): http://www.daptechnology.com/index.php?id=640

So for a dead hardware I think it's quite alive (maybe it's a ZOMBIE!!!)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:45:12 PM by Yomgui »

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
Quote from: Yomgui;583032
I think that "low-resolution" Red cameras (http://www.red.com/cameras/tech_specs/) are not able to reach current smartphones...
...yes with FW 800/400.

:biglaugh:

Holy crap, I've seen rocket launchers which looked less threatening than that thing!

Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
@ ferrelsl

I'll gladly take firewire over USB2 any day
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
Firewire isn't dead?. It's on the new Dell business laptops we get in at work. It's been proven over and over to be superior to USB.

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
@ferrellsl

So when did you realize that amiga (in any form) wasn't going to make a comeback? :)
~

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;583038
@ferrellsl

So when did you realize that amiga (in any form) wasn't going to make a comeback? :)

Ah, so you've had a look through his posting history aswell then... ;-)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
I'm sorry if anyone thinks my comments have detracted from Yomgui's efforts.  I applaud him for it and I think he's one hell of a great programmer.  I'm just pesimistic about the future of MOS.  I'd really like to see it thrive as an alternative OS but the tangents taken by the MOS dev team seem truly crazy at times.

@klx300r, spihunter, and GolemDK

And nowhere did I dispute that Firewire is superior to USB2.0.  It is obviously superior.  So I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from since I've never posted such a statement.  What I DO dispute is that there's any real use for Firewire on MOS since there obviously isn't a single audio/video editing package for MOS.  I also pointed out that Apple is even dropping support of Firewire on several of its systems, specifically its newest Macbooks.  Nobody these days really cares that Firewire is better than USB2.0.  It's like the old argument about Betamax versus VHS tapes.  Just because it's technically superior doesn't mean that it'll become the accepted/adopted standard demanded by us all.  I've worked with a couple different news agencies and they don't care about Firewire one bit.  They DO care about being able to move their data onto a laptop or workstation for editing.  As long as they can move that data via DVD-R/W, USB cable or flash memory stick, they're quite happy.  Firewire, or the lack of it, isn't a deal-breaker for them.  The lack of any audio/video editing on a MOS box IS a deal breaker, as well as the handicap of ancient hardware.  As I said earlier, just because there's a Firewire stack on MOS doesn't mean that suddenly audio/video professionals will now scramle to buy up old Macs for editing.  It's outdated hardware and there's no MOS editing software anyway, so don't expect me to be thrilled with the news about MOS getting a Firewire stack.  My reaction is, "So what?"  Where's an application that will make use of it?

Same goes for MOS as a whole.  I think it's a great OS.  But until it has native apps for productiviy, I.E. a real office suite, native audio/video editing, and easy-to-use DVD/CD authoring software, it will continue to languish.  What about somebody porting OpenOffice to MOS, or at least AbiWord and GnuCalc?  MOS will continue to be just a toy until that happens.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:42:21 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
@GolemDK and Boot WB

Before Commodore bit the dust, that's when I noticed!  The writing was on the wall a couple years before they went under.  

What makes you think I'm so misguided as to believe that the Amiga in any form will rise from the ashes like a Phoenix and become mainstream again?  On the contrary, all I see in the Amiga community is a bunch of disjointed attempts to scam hardcore Amiga enthusiasts out of their hard-earned cash with overpriced, under powered jokes like the SAM and the X1000.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:40:46 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
@yomgui

Amazing! thx for your hard work! I'll keep an eye on FW devices now :-)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
@ferrells,

I think it was the phrase "dead end hardware" that set people off. It's true that most consumer equipment no longer has it and Apple is dropping it on it's regular consumer based computers.

It's still widely used on the "Pro-sumer" and Pro market for camera's and harddrives and such. You are right that higher quality product does not always equal success! I think everyone here knows that!.

Firewire is just an overkill for the consumer market were USB works just fine for everything.

Quote from: ferrellsl;583057
I'm sorry if anyone thinks my comments have detracted from Yomgui's efforts.  I applaud him for it and I think he's one hell of a great programmer.  I'm just pesimistic about the future of MOS.  I'd really like to see it thrive as an alternative OS but the tangents taken by the MOS dev team seem truly crazy at times.

@klx300r, spihunter, and GolemDK

And nowhere did I dispute that Firewire is superior to USB2.0.  It is obviously superior.  So I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from since I've never posted such a statement.  What I DO dispute is that there's any real use for Firewire on MOS since there obviously isn't a single audio/video editing package for MOS.  I also pointed out that Apple is even dropping support of Firewire on several of its systems, specifically its newest Macbooks.  Nobody these days really cares that Firewire is better than USB2.0.  It's like the old argument about Betamax versus VHS tapes.  Just because it's technically superior doesn't mean that it'll become the accepted/adopted standard demanded by us all.  I've worked with a couple different news agencies and they don't care about Firewire one bit.  They DO care about being able to move their data onto a laptop or workstation for editing.  As long as they can move that data via DVD-R/W, USB cable or flash memory stick, they're quite happy.  Firewire, or the lack of it, isn't a deal-breaker for them.  The lack of any audio/video editing on a MOS box IS a deal breaker, as well as the handicap of ancient hardware.  As I said earlier, just because there's a Firewire stack on MOS doesn't mean that suddenly audio/video professionals will now scramle to buy up old Macs for editing.  It's outdated hardware and there's no MOS editing software anyway, so don't expect me to be thrilled with the news about MOS getting a Firewire stack.  My reaction is, "So what?"  Where's an application that will make use of it?

Same goes for MOS as a whole.  I think it's a great OS.  But until it has native apps for productiviy, I.E. a real office suite, native audio/video editing, and easy-to-use DVD/CD authoring software, it will continue to languish.  What about somebody porting OpenOffice to MOS, or at least AbiWord and GnuCalc?  MOS will continue to be just a toy until that happens.

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 05, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
Most of the HW MorphOS supports does have a FireWire connector. No-one is forced to use FW and people can keep using USB2 if they like. At least I welcome an easy way to quickly connect a Mac to a MorphOS box and have access to the HDD (Target Mode). USB2 can't do that, unless if I open the Mac, remove the HDD and place it to a USB enclosure.

Sure you could use smbfs but samba is slower than firewire, and there are quite a bit of setting up to do, unlike with this firewire target mode.

I bought a device that can be used to connect 2.5" and 3.5" SATA HDDs in various ways. Connectivity includes USB2, FW400, FW800 and eSATA. Out of these USB2 is clearly the slowest. Now I have an option to use firewire as well.